A day that takes us through the darkness

A day that leads us into might
A day that makes us want to celebrate the light

A day that brings the promise
that one day, we'll be free

To live, to laugh, to dream,
To grow, to trust, to love, to be.

Stevek

Happy almost birthday to your daughter! I agree it is really sad about all the experiences teens especially missed this year like prom or graduation or even getting to see their high school friends in person for the rest of the year because I know I cherish a lot of the times towards the end of my senior year with people I never saw outside of school. Palm Springs sounds fun! My family has a cabin in Lake Tahoe we have gone up to as a little getaway during quarantine, we don't go to the actual lake just a small lake with almost nobody around it that's near the house so we are able to fully distance. I know my twin brother wanted to go to Vegas for our 21st together but now we are trying to see if we'll even go down in the future, hopefully we will but I'm not sure at this point when that would even be. It's funny, I am just disappointed that now if I go out to dinner with my family or girlfriend or whatever I can't order a drink with my meal since restaurants are closed here. It sounds like a weird / silly thing to be sad about but I guess I was looking forward to it and now I can't.
I've seen quite a few more places down here with outdoor seating. We were in Redondo Beach this weekend and they've basically taken all the parking spots from in front of the restaurants along Catalina Ave and created good sized outdoor seating areas. Large, painted wooden barriers that cover where the parking was and artificial grass. It's very well done and I believe they are doing similar things in Orange at the traffic circle (maybe temporarily). They actually closed the main road in the village in Big Bear this weekend, made it a walking street/promenade and allowed restaurants to put seating outdoors where the side walk and street parking is.

smooch

I've seen quite a few more places down here with outdoor seating. We were in Redondo Beach this weekend and they've basically taken all the parking spots from in front of the restaurants along Catalina Ave and created good sized outdoor seating areas. Large, painted wooden barriers that cover where the parking was and artificial grass. It's very well done and I believe they are doing similar things in Orange at the traffic circle (maybe temporarily). They actually closed the main road in the village in Big Bear this weekend, made it a walking street/promenade and allowed restaurants to put seating outdoors where the side walk and street parking is.

The restaurants near me started opening back up for distanced dining in the dining rooms along with outdoor seating but since things started going on lockdown again I believe a lot of the places here just went back to take out only. I don't believe my county was technically one forced to close dining rooms but from what I understand a lot of the people here who run restaurants have said that they don't want to deal with continuing in restaurant dining and then if the county gets put on the watch list and must close later then they'll have to change their workflow again. I know most places around here are doing pretty well financially thankfully, a family friend who runs a small chain of sushi restaurants has said they're doing as much business as usual if not a little more in takeout which I thought was pretty crazy but it makes sense in a way. Oh well, guess we'll have to just keep doing our best and hoping things get under control sooner or later.

Communicora

Premium Member
Can anyone like @Darkbeer1 breakdown what was in a tuna sandwich at the old Chicken of the Sea Pirate ship restaurant? What kind of bread -white, wheat? Was the tuna packed in oil or water? Anything else in the sandwich other than mayo? I’m assuming the bread was not toasted. Side of pickles?

Also, Anyone have the hot tuna pie? Not sure I’ve ever seen 3 words that go worse together.
Did you watch MrCheezyPop's latest video?

I wish I didn't know about the hot tuna pie. 🤢

DrAlice

While I'll admit that "hot tuna pie" does not sound appetizing, I grew up on Tuna Helper. It was always a dinner favorite.
1595904691529.png

EDIT: Maybe not this exact flavor. I remember there being peas.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Did you watch MrCheezyPop's latest video?

I wish I didn't know about the hot tuna pie. 🤢

Lol no I can’t stand that guys voice. I saw a picture of the old ship on Reddit today and that’s where my thought came from.

p.s And I’m not even one of those people that’s annoyed by vloggers but good lord.

disneyC97

Lol no I can’t stand that guys voice. I saw a picture of the old ship on Reddit today and that’s where my thought came from.

p.s And I’m not even one of those people that’s annoyed by vloggers but good lord.
And he could’ve mentioned that Skull Rock came later...1961 I believe.

Communicora

Premium Member

He seems like a nice guy, but I can see why you don't care for him.

Have you been to Disneyland Paris? It's not a restaurant, but I loved seeing skull rock and the pirate ship!

Darkbeer1

While I'll admit that "hot tuna pie" does not sound appetizing, I grew up on Tuna Helper. It was always a dinner favorite.
View attachment 487034

EDIT: Maybe not this exact flavor. I remember there being peas.

My Mom's Tuna Casserole had Cream of Mushroom Soup, and crushed Potato Chips as a topping.

And since my Dad worked for the Inter American Tropical Tuna Commission, we eat a LOT of Tuna. (Heck, it was free).

Mac Tonight

@Darkbeer1 Have you been to Ike's Love and Sandwiches yet? One in Tustin at the District, another in Newport just south of the airport and I believe one in Long Beach. Literally made me jump off the Jersey Mike's bandwagon...not jump, fly, leap, sprint...Dutch Crunch bread for the win. Best sandwich I've ever had, by a mile. We thankfully have one reasonably close to us in Chino. Outside of them, I agree with your first 2 above, Jersey and Firehouse. Jimmy John's not nearly as good as my mid west loyal fans made it out to be.
Yes! Someone else who knows and loves Ike’s! I’ve been a fan since 2009 when I ate at their original San Francisco location. I was so glad they migrated south. I hated driving 5 hours for a sandwich.

I haven’t been to the OC ones, but the one in Westwood is great, and I ate at the one in Burbank a few months ago. I’m way overdue for another trip. I think I’ll try the Northridge location as it’s the closest to me.

Stevek

Yes! Someone else who knows and loves Ike’s! I’ve been a fan since 2009 when I ate at their original San Francisco location. I was so glad they migrated south. I hated driving 5 hours for a sandwich.

I haven’t been to the OC ones, but the one in Westwood is great, and I ate at the one in Burbank a few months ago. I’m way overdue for another trip. I think I’ll try the Northridge location as it’s the closest to me.
I'm surprised more people haven't found out about this place. We actually bought a package of their dutch crunch bread from them so we can make sandwiches at home. Ours aren't nearly as good unfortunately.

Mac Tonight

I'm surprised more people haven't found out about this place. We actually bought a package of their dutch crunch bread from them so we can make sandwiches at home. Ours aren't nearly as good unfortunately.
You can do that?!?!?! Now if only they'd bottle their dirty sauce too... 😋
giphy-downsized-large.gif

I agree though, they aren't generally mentioned in passing conversation, and when they are, it's almost like some secret club.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom