Do you think that Disney world will reclose its gates due to the rising number of COVID cases in Florida and around the country?

DisneyDebRob

its a better faster system...not concerning at all
Then give them the better system if they needed improvement.
It won’t all be released to the public,anything that goes through the government, in any administration, usually doesn’t all get realeased. The CDC will no longer control the data and not only the public may not know all of it but the scores of researchers, modelers and health officials that rely on CDC data to make project and crucial decisions.

Touchdown

What I’m saying is, some people see the COVID deaths but not the deaths caused by the shutdown, which are many more.

Are you talking about the deaths caused by hospitals being over run?

Or the deaths caused by increased medical errors because healthcare providers are caring for more patients due to staff shortages?

Wait I know, you’re talking about the deaths caused by people waiting too long to go to the hospital over fear of exposing themselves to Covid, right?

Mental illness is not caused by economic stress, it can be exasperated by economic stress as it can cause (unhealthy and ultimately unsustainable) coping mechanisms to fail sooner then they would but even if the good times kept going eventually without health care intervention (not necessarily meds, I’m also talking about therapy) the affected persons mental disease would have manifested eventually.

If you truly care about mental illness, advocate for increased funding to mental health professionals and public health efforts meant to destigmatize mental health diseases, “fixing the economy” does not fix mental illness.

lentesta

Premium Member
People NEED groceries. People don't NEED to ride space mountain. I do agree they seem to have done a good job. I just question if reopening now is the right time.

It's true that people don't need to ride Space Mountain. They don't need to eat in restaurants, stay in hotels, or to travel.

Except for the people whose jobs rely on theme parks, restaurants, hotels, and the travel industry. That's roughly 25MM of the 155MM jobs in the U.S. (about 16%). And, of course, the people employed in those industries spend money on everything else in the economy, like food, services, electronics, cars, and homes.

I think the vast majority of people's "Plan A" would've been to stay at home until we developed a vaccine. The U.S. doesn't have social programs to accomplish that. So a substantial part of the U.S. economy needed a Plan B.

Plan B The U.S. implemented additional unemployment insurance. That ends in 16 days and hasn't been extended. But let's assume that every person who needed it, got it, it all worked perfectly, and it was enough to cover everyone's expenses.

Employers got up to 2.5 months of payroll expenses through the Paycheck Protection Program (PPP). Let's say that all of that worked perfectly too, that companies didn't have other expenses besides payroll, and that everyone who needed the PPP, got it. Assuming that started in April, that would've lasted until mid-June. Emergency (EIDL) loans are available for up to $150K. Let's say that gets 2.5 months too, through the end of August, and that EIDL worked perfectly.

Plan C Thus, at the end of July (workers) or August (companies), lots of people need a Plan C. Let's assume that Plan C is that everyone perfectly followed what financial advisors said, and had 3 to 6 months of emergency money sitting around. That gets us to November to January.

Plan D Assuming everything went exactly to plan at every step along the way, workers and companies will run out of their own emergency savings and all existing government assistance programs starting in a little over 100 days from now.

The economy will not be fixed 100 days from now.

It's worth pointing out that 46 U.S. states plus the District of Columbia have laws that mandate balanced budgets - they can't run deficits, even if they wanted to implement their own emergency social programs. (They could change those laws, of course. As far as I can tell, no state is considering doing so.)

If you're trying to plan ahead, then, the two most likely options for Plan D are "hope the federal government helps" or "figure it out for yourself."

Again, the right thing to do would be for everyone to re-isolate until a vaccine is available. To do that without destroying the lives and livelihoods of 1/6th of the U.S. economy for the next decade, the federal government would need to indicate now that it's going to do whatever it takes to support the economy.

The federal government isn't doing that.

That's why businesses like theme parks are re-opening.

As usual, I could be wrong.

Lilofan

No (sane) person wants the parks to close again. I don’t. I have many friends who would be impacted directly and indirectly. We still have a visit that’s not totally cancelled yet. But if that’s the lesser of the evils it’ll happen. Hong Kong shows it’s not an impossibility.

If it did happen it could be up to Washington to decide if they want to provide more assistance.
I don't think Washington will jump over hoops to provide help just because WDW parks close. But if the parks close, it will get world wide attention that's is for sure. I have friends that could be directly indirectly impacted to.

G00fyDad

In theory, once you get the virus transmission levels under control the spreading is far less.

At least that is how most places on the planet have been handling it.

FL is doing a smashing job at spreading this aweful virus.

That is because people are refusing to stay home and let this thing die down. They are too busy going to restaurants, movies, parties, and theme parks. Most of the time without a mask. Many of them get indignant when you tell them they need to wear one. As if you are violating their rights or something. Anti-Maskers are a thing and they usually come down with COVID19 with some pretty bad results. :rolleyes:

107827791_4684627414896237_6166010851852827435_o.jpg

Sir_Cliff

Every day that goes by I see a news story about rising cases in Florida headlined by a picture of the Magic Kingdom. Disney World really seems to have become the international face of what is being reported as Florida's apparent indifference to becoming one of the world's coronavirus hot spots.

I can't help but think that Disney executives are very nervously hoping and praying that stories don't start emerging of cast members and guests getting sick as this decision is already looking like a disaster for Disney's brand. Hopefully they don't have to close, but they really need to consider what it will mean for the future of WDW if it becomes permanently associated with sickness and possible deaths in the popular imagination.

Last edited:

NickMaio

That is because people are refusing to stay home and let this thing die down. They are too busy going to restaurants, movies, parties, and theme parks. Most of the time without a mask. Many of them get indignant when you tell them they need to wear one. As if you are violating their rights or something. Anti-Maskers are a thing and they usually come down with COVID19 with some pretty bad results. :rolleyes:

View attachment 483839
That was great.......nailed it.

NickMaio

Every day that goes by I see a news story about rising cases in Florida headlined by a picture of the Magic Kingdom. Disney World really seems to have become the international face of what is being reported as Florida's apparent indifference to becoming one of the world's coronavirus hot spots at the moment.

I can't help but think that Disney executives are very nervously hoping and praying that stories don't start emerging of cast members and guests getting sick as this decision is already looking like a disaster for Disney's brand. Hopefully they don't have to close, but they really have to consider what it will mean for the future of WDW if it becomes permanently associated with sickness and possible deaths in the popular imagination.
Just a matter of time before a cast member gets it......

havoc315

And then when you reopen its going to spike again. So what is the answer?

No. Mass testing and highly organized contact tracing can prevent big spikes, but only if you start at a very low number.

Our testing has improved, but still not to the necessary point.
Only a few states have gotten serious about contact tracing. And there has been no national leadership on contact tracing. When done right — it recently led to a few hundred people in my town receiving 2-week quarantine instructions. Which worked, it prevented a few cases from becoming a mass outbreak.
But again, can only work if you start with small numbers. As I said, a handful of cases in my town led to quarantine of a few hundred people. If you’re having tens of thousands of cases, you can’t trace and quarantine even a modest fraction.

So the way it’s supposed to work (and what should have been done in April and May)— lock downs to get numbers as low as feasible. At the same time, build up testing and proper contact tracing. Then slowly re-open with the testing and contact tracing in place.

Instead — many places just re-opened while their numbers were a bit flat or even increasing. They re-opened with mass testing increases. And they never implemented a mass contact tracing program.

G00fyDad

I'm honestly kinda over this "People are not wearing the mask thing" because, I go out and I see like 95% of the people wearing a mask.

Can I come to where YOU live?? I rarely see a mask when I go out. RARELY. And when I do and I put on my mask I get weird looks from people. One person walking out of a Lowe's as I was going in with a mask mumbled "(expletive) Democrat!" So yeah, I have a hard time believing 95% are wearing masks.

G00fyDad

I'm honestly kinda over this "People are not wearing the mask thing" because, I go out and I see like 95% of the people wearing a mask.

And the list goes on and on and on....

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Can I come to where YOU live?? I rarely see a mask when I go out. RARELY. And when I do and I put on my mask I get weird looks from people. One person walking out of a Lowe's as I was going in with a mask mumbled "(expletive) Democrat!" So yeah, I have a hard time believing 95% are wearing masks.
Live outside of Houston in a conservative adjacent county. You almost don't see anyone not wearing them now.

threvester

Then give them the better system if they needed improvement.
It won’t all be released to the public,anything that goes through the government, in any administration, usually doesn’t all get realeased. The CDC will no longer control the data and not only the public may not know all of it but the scores of researchers, modelers and health officials that rely on CDC data to make project and crucial decisions.
I trust Dr Birx, who called for and was instrumental in creating the new system, will not be withholding anything. The data was not being posted fast enough

bdearl41

Lilofan

This must be the answer.....they have it ALL figured out.

Globalnews.ca: Florida anti-mask group rewarded maskless diners with free grilled cheese.
Windermere FL is a wealthy suburb a few miles from WDW. Looks like a bunch of ignorant residents.

Parker in NYC

Angelo721

OK Can I ask what everyone means by not wearing a mask? I live in South Florida and you are not able to go intro a business or restaurant without a mask.

You do not need to wear a mask in your car!
You do not need to wear a mask walking down the sidewalk alone!
I go and walk my dog each morning and night and I do not wear a mask. I am alone and there is not another person within 20 feet let alone 6 feet. My beagle will not give COVID to me.

Yes, we all need to wear masks. I hate it but I comply. But what we all need to realize is the mask is worn when you are in a situation where you CAN'T social distance.

People are scared, and so they want us all of wear masks Everywhere. And that is not what need to be done.

Plus no one mentioned that Orlando labs are not reporting the right figures.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom