The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

FutureCEO

They're finally starting to get it. They used to be a little more understanding and were willing to drop me across the street at Subway, but my dad is getting stubborn in his old age. Last time I told them I'd just snack in the car and eat when we got home. This time I just ate the lunch meat we had left and snacks. I think between the last two times they're getting the point of Missy does not do McDonald's, with the exception of their breakfast sandwich in the morning.

Well Subway is healthier, it's not as healthy as you think.

Songbird76

"Wrong" is not on the table. There is not a single person in SC who I would consider as speaking in a wrong way.
To restate what I said earlier...If I move there, my way of speaking will be "wrong" 😂
Please don't be confused, I just want to be able to fit in. My instincts tell me I'd fit in with the city residents...I hope so.
Plus my wife asked about the "accent". Whenever she asks me something I'm not sure of, I try to find the answer.
Happy wife...happy life ;)
I'm living proof that having an accent doesn't mean you won't fit in. I've lived here for almost 18 years and I have an accent, but I fit in quite well here. People can tell I'm not Dutch once they hear me speak, but so far, no one has ever told me to go back where I came from, etc.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
I'm living proof that having an accent doesn't mean you won't fit in. I've lived here for almost 18 years and I have an accent, but I fit in quite well here. People can tell I'm not Dutch once they hear me speak, but so far, no one has ever told me to go back where I came from, etc.
Being a nice person goes a lot further than an accent .

MySmallWorldof4

Thank you so much for your feedback☺We don't eat bagels. There are Asian restaurants galore. We could surely find one we like. There is a Korean BBQ. We both like that. You are surely right on the money regarding PIZZA. I would miss NJ pizza. Yet the pluses would outweigh the negatives. NJ is a much more expensive place to live.....and each year I hate the winter(s) more than the year before😉
I don't miss not living in Jersey. Our house here in PA would cost 3 times what we paid for it there and our taxes would be 4 times what we pay. Money goes further here.

MySmallWorldof4

I live in Maryland, which is that lovely in between place between North and South. Ya wouldn't think I have an accent until I start referin' to y'all as hon.
We live near the Mason Dixon line. There are so many people who were born and bred in this area that have what I call southern accents. I always found that weird.

Songbird76

They're finally starting to get it. They used to be a little more understanding and were willing to drop me across the street at Subway, but my dad is getting stubborn in his old age. Last time I told them I'd just snack in the car and eat when we got home. This time I just ate the lunch meat we had left and snacks. I think between the last two times they're getting the point of Missy does not do McDonald's, with the exception of their breakfast sandwich in the morning.
We almost always end up going two places because the only one who is fond of McD's is A, and he is not fond of just about anything else. So when we're on vacation, we take him to get his chicken nugget meal, then we go get real food. Every once in a while I get a craving for a bacon and egg mcmuffin, or chicken nuggets, or a big n' tasty with bacon. E and I will share....one orders the burger, the other chicken nuggets, and then we split it. But this happens maybe once or twice a year. We'd have no problem with your not doing McD's!

Goofyernmost

Not sure who came up with all those definitions, but some are clearly wrong...

Pecan.... Something you take in the car if you are on a long road trip.
Poke.... Never heard of it used in anyway other then to jab someone or something.
Sit a Spell... Take a load off, have a seat, what's your hurry.
Y'all... one or more people.
Coke.... That one is correct.
Ain't .... Pretty much as described. But also measures degrees, like in it Ain't no big thing!
Fixin' to... just about ready to start as in fixin' to go to work.
Cattywompus.... something just ain't right. That dude is cattywompus. I wonder if he was dropped on his head as a baby.
Over yonder.... whatever direction they are pointing in, not here.
The rest are pretty much correct except...
Bless Your Heart... means that one is a couple blocks shy of a load, his elevator doesn't go to the top floor, the lights are on but nobody's home or can be used in conjunction with Cattywompus.

MySmallWorldof4

No hair salon visits until at least the end of the year
Got 5 inches off yesterday. Weird part was the hairdressers aren't allowed to dry hair. Everyone wears a mask. I didn't get the no hairdrying thing. I missed the hairdrying because my hairdresser does such a great job and I can never get it to look the way it does when she does it. It always looks great for a day and then I wash and dry it and it then just looks ok. I use a round brush like her but I can never get the hair to curl right. Problems, problems. ;) :hilarious:

Songbird76

Being a nice person goes a lot further than an accent .
And making an effort goes a long way. Of course, moving within the same country, there won't be issues of having to learn a whole new language. It's just the accent. But over here, people really appreciate one making the effort to learn the language and will be relatively patient with someone who doesn't speak perfectly. While I know my Dutch isn't flawless and that fact frustrates me to no end, I usually get compliments on how fluent I am. This usually embarrasses me, though, because I don't feel like it's a huge accomplishment. It's a necessary skill.

I felt really bad on the 4th of July though. E and I went to KFC to get dinner and we are used to speaking English with each other, so cashiers will hear us speaking English and automatically address us in English as well. Usually, it's fun to then switch over to Dutch and catch them off guard because they aren't expecting that. But this time, the guy addressed me in English, I switched to Dutch and he got a panicked look, and E said "Mom, should we speak English? I don't think he speaks much Dutch." I felt stupid for not getting it right away, but he was English and was still learning Dutch so he had no clue what I said. He knew just enough to ask someone "Are you eating here or taking it to go?" in Dutch, and I assumed he was only speaking English to me because he heard me and E. Nope. He really didn't speak Dutch. I guess that's what I get for assuming!

MySmallWorldof4

We have been having a lot of rain this summer --grass is rowing where I have to cut it every week, rain has brought mosquitos --eat you alive. County has not been doing a good job spraying. Garden has been growing I think I have picked over 5 gallons of blueberries and over 200lbs of tomatoes wife has made salsa, ketchup, marinara sauce, tomatoes paste.
Our tomatoes are growing but not ready for picking. I have been watering them daily. They are all still green. We never got more than a good two handfuls of blueberries from our bushes, and then they died from the last winter. Our plum trees produced some fruit this year but the trees are like over 20 feet tall and I cannot reach them. The ones I could reach had bugs. Got 6 nice peaches from one peach tree so far. Our apple trees have never made nice apples. They all look deformed. We think we got bum trees.

MySmallWorldof4

I'm glad that is the case. I am pleasantly surprised that our neighboring state is such a better deal. I would have thought you'd have to go further from NJ to reap benefits like that.
Right before we moved from Jersey we heard that many counties were going to base property taxes on what a house sells for rather than its real value. Sorry but over 20k in taxes a year which is what we knew some had taxes of in Colts Neck was just insanity. We used to ride our bikes in Brielle. We lived in an apartment like setting there our first 3 years of marriage til we moved to Allenwood. There was a house off the river that was abandoned and for sale. We walked around that property and imagined living there. Looked it up this weekend and the original was torn down with a new one built. Selling for over 5 million. The original house which was quite large sold for under 800k. The property taxes are now close to 30k for the year. Jeesh, I cannot imagine paying that. Our taxes here on almost an acre of land is in the mid $5000 range, which is actually the same as it was when we lived in Allenwood in the early two thousands.

Songbird76

Not sure who came up with all those definitions, but some are clearly wrong...

Pecan.... Something you take in the car if you are on a long road trip.
Poke.... Never heard of it used in anyway other then to jab someone or something.
Sit a Spell... Take a load off, have a seat, what's your hurry.
Y'all... one or more people.
Coke.... That one is correct.
Ain't .... Pretty much as described. But also measures degrees, like in it Ain't no big thing!
Fixin' to... just about ready to start as in fixin' to go to work.
Cattywompus.... something just ain't right. That dude is cattywompus. I wonder if he was dropped on his head as a baby.
Over yonder.... whatever direction they are pointing in, not here.
The rest are pretty much correct except...
Bless Your Heart... means that one is a couple blocks shy of a load, his elevator doesn't go to the top floor, the lights are on but nobody's home or can be used in conjunction with Cattywompus.
My mom used Cattywompus, and I still use it and we are not from the South. I didn't realize that had roots in the South! My aunt always used to say "Bless your heart" when we were sick, or injured, etc. I always hated it because it sounded so...condescending, I guess? Like you talk to a little kid. But she was trying to express sympathy. I was a teenager and had some bug once. High fever, weak and dizzy....so I was lying on the couch, and she showed up unexpectedly and when she saw me she just exclaimed "Oh well bless your heart!" It made me cringe.

MySmallWorldof4

On the contrary we have excellent Healthcare in the greater Charleston area equal to any hospital in the north east --hospitals such as MUSC, Roper Saint Francis, East Cooper Hospital. I have had several procedures done at these hospitals and received excellent care. I would not let the be a concern IMO it is unfounded
Yep because many doctors want to live down there. Very hard to get a residency down there. Also purchasing medical and dental offices from retiring docs is dog eat dog as well as trying to get a job in the medical/dental field there.

Goofyernmost

And making an effort goes a long way. Of course, moving within the same country, there won't be issues of having to learn a whole new language. It's just the accent. But over here, people really appreciate one making the effort to learn the language and will be relatively patient with someone who doesn't speak perfectly. While I know my Dutch isn't flawless and that fact frustrates me to no end, I usually get compliments on how fluent I am. This usually embarrasses me, though, because I don't feel like it's a huge accomplishment. It's a necessary skill.

I felt really bad on the 4th of July though. E and I went to KFC to get dinner and we are used to speaking English with each other, so cashiers will hear us speaking English and automatically address us in English as well. Usually, it's fun to then switch over to Dutch and catch them off guard because they aren't expecting that. But this time, the guy addressed me in English, I switched to Dutch and he got a panicked look, and E said "Mom, should we speak English? I don't think he speaks much Dutch." I felt stupid for not getting it right away, but he was English and was still learning Dutch so he had no clue what I said. He knew just enough to ask someone "Are you eating here or taking it to go?" in Dutch, and I assumed he was only speaking English to me because he heard me and E. Nope. He really didn't speak Dutch. I guess that's what I get for assuming!
If a northerner attempts to imitate a southern accent it will be taken as an insult. The accent comes along naturally and without conscious effort. Then it becomes just fine. The key thing is be yourself, unless your a nasty person, then don't say a word and don't even go out into the public. 🙂 Southerners are thought of as slow moving people, which many are, but they are very quick witted and can laugh at themselves as long at they are the ones joking about it. Outsiders really need to watch their manners especially around women. And don't chuckle when you hear a middle aged man refer to his father as Daddy or his mother as Momma. Somethings just weren't meant to be funny.

MySmallWorldof4

My brother lives on LI NY and his taxes are on par with NJ. Here in SC I have 3 acres house tax value $400,000 and we pay $1500 a year in property taxes. I guess that is why so many yankees are moving here
When we looked at houses in Myrtle Beach when we were considering a possibility of moving there we heard that they were considering not charging school taxes to elderly residents? Don't know if I am remembering that correctly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom