Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

milordsloth

Do you consider going to a theme park to be as essential as buying food to eat? Also, how many hours over how many days do you stay in Costco? More or less time then your average vacation? Do you fly to Costco and stay in a hotel?

In my mind that circles back to it is essential for the workers and all the smaller businesses in the area that the parks are open... but I'm sure opinions won't be changed on that either in this thread

Jrb1979

I might get behind shutting things down as long as it included Costco, Walmart, Target, grocery stores and every other big box store. Until someone can prove to me that standing in line for a ride at WDW is more dangerous than standing in line at Costco I'll never be behind these arbitrary shutdowns.
One is essential the other isn't. For those that say it can't be done. Just look at how Canada has done. Yes we had high deaths due to LTC homes. Here in Ontario where I live our percent positive is 1%. We just have been slow at opening things. No indoor restaurants yet and no theme parks. I'm dying to get on a rollercoaster but I am fine with the choice to take it this slow. We've managed to keep our new cases low and no new deaths.

Miss Bella

One is essential the other isn't. For those that say it can't be done. Just look at how Canada has done. Yes we had high deaths due to LTC homes. Here in Ontario where I live our percent positive is 1%. We just have been slow at opening things. No indoor restaurants yet and no theme parks. I'm dying to get on a rollercoaster but I am fine with the choice to take it this slow. We've managed to keep our new cases low and no new deaths.
Yes, Canada oh Canada a country that is 1/10 the size of the US. You do realize that many states in the U.S have done just as well as Canada, and some of them never shut down.

Jrb1979

Yes, Canada oh Canada a country that is 1/10 the size of the US. You do realize that many states in the U.S have done just as well as Canada, and some of them never shut down.
Yes I do know some have. If you look at the states where cases are rising didn't do enough to slow the spread. I'm looking at Florida and Texas. For that matter wasn't the guidelines that were put out for reopening was to have 2 weeks of a downward trend before going into the next phase. Minus the LTC hiccup, I look at how NY did in reopening their economy. All states should have followed the same path. Maybe if they did cases wouldn't be out of control.

Chi84

Premium Member
We also apply social pressure to control the community. Societies have always done this.

Let’s use a silly example. It is legal to noisily pass wind in a crowded elevator. If you do that every day in the same elevator, however, people are going to start applying social pressure to get you to stop.

Here’s one: cursing in front of other people’s children. Legal in most places, but if you do it you are likely to feel a lot of social pressure to stop.

The above examples are frivolous compared to endangering the health of everyone you come into contact with.
I think you’re free to argue the wisdom of opening parks and express your personal opinion on how dangerous a theme park can be, but that should be where it ends. Haranguing or trying to shame people for doing something they have every legal right to do is presumptuous (as in it’s not your place) and just won’t work. What you consider applying social pressure is likely to be interpreted by others as bullying. I would imagine people deciding to visit Disney with these restrictions in place have given it a lot of thought. It’s a little more significant than passing wind in an elevator. You’re right about that being a silly example.

Touchdown

In my mind that circles back to it is essential for the workers and all the smaller businesses in the area that the parks are open... but I'm sure opinions won't be changed on that either in this thread

Those people are human beings and thus also at risk of getting Covid. This is a false argument.

Miss Bella

Things suck, of course income would be better, but I’m pretty sure most people would choose life over financial hardship.
Financial hardship can also lead to illness and death and the chance of dying from COVID are slim to none for people of working age. Have you ever been in a position where you couldn't buy food or pay your bills? Had to move back with your parents? The unemployment benefits are not being extended.

Casper Gutman

I think you’re free to argue the wisdom of opening parks and express your personal opinion on how dangerous a theme park can be, but that should be where it ends. Haranguing or trying to shame people for doing something they have every legal right to do is presumptuous (as in it’s not your place) and just won’t work. What you consider applying social pressure is likely to be interpreted by others as bullying. I would imagine people deciding to visit Disney with these restrictions in place have given it a lot of thought. It’s a little more significant than passing wind in an elevator. You’re right about that being a silly example.
The severity of the possible repercussions of someone’s actions should dictate the response from others. Since I believe that people visiting WDW plays a relatively minor but still meaningful role in prolonging the crisis, endangering people, holding down the economy, and dictating when responsible people get to resume normal lives, I don’t think countering false statements on a theme park message board is a disproportionate response.

As for giving things a lot of thought, I think you vastly underestimate humanity’s gift for self-delusion and desire for normalcy - especially in light of a social media landscape that will let folks find excuses for anything they want to believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom