Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

durangojim

This disease is going to be with us for a long long while. I think seeing how Disney is responding and what the effects on those who travel to WDW over the rest of the year will be a great indicator of how people can still live their lives and do things they enjoy while hopefully remaining relatively safe. I think it is unreasonable from a mental health perspective to expect citizens to stay at home and not do social things. One of the reasons we may have seen such a lack of respect for common sense when it comes to wearing masks and distancing is because people were tired of being and feeling isolated. Over the past 4 months I’ve seen a significant increase by multitudes of patients complaining of anxiety and depression. This is due to lack of contact with friends and family, uncertainty about jobs/finances, and lastly concern about catching the disease. COVID is horrible but there are so many repercussions that this pandemic has caused and the disease symptoms are the smallest aspect of that.

mickey0825

This disease is going to be with us for a long long while. I think seeing how Disney is responding and what the effects on those who travel to WDW over the rest of the year will be a great indicator of how people can still live their lives and do things they enjoy while hopefully remaining relatively safe. I think it is unreasonable from a mental health perspective to expect citizens to stay at home and not do social things. One of the reasons we may have seen such a lack of respect for common sense when it comes to wearing masks and distancing is because people were tired of being and feeling isolated. Over the past 4 months I’ve seen a significant increase by multitudes of patients complaining of anxiety and depression. This is due to lack of contact with friends and family, uncertainty about jobs/finances, and lastly concern about catching the disease. COVID is horrible but there are so many repercussions that this pandemic has caused and the disease symptoms are the smallest aspect of that.
I agree 100%....mental health is just as important as physical health

milordsloth

I'm not living in fear at all. I just chose not to go places where cases are high. I look at where I live and cases have been under 200 a day for weeks now. In a case like that I feel safe in doing certain things including a theme park if it was open. Where as Disney, Universal or any Florida park I wouldn't feel safe as they 50 times the amount of cases per day.

Aren't there still restrictions from traveling into the US from Canada? I would imagine that makes it easy to choose not to go.

Jrb1979

Aren't there still restrictions from traveling into the US from Canada? I would imagine that makes it easy to choose not to go.
By car we can't cross but we are allowed to fly into the US still. We just have to quarantine upon return. None of that is stopping me. Its the fact cases are rising and I don't want to get sick.

TeriofTerror

Like I just posted, it has nothing do with Disney. It all has to do with going to a theme park in a place where cases are high. I would feel much safer at Cedar Point right now over Disney or Universal as cases aren't as high. Hence why I can't believe any one wants to go to a place where Covid is such widespread.
I wouldn't feel safer at CP. I live 20 miles from Cedar Point, and people here are idiots. Masks are "recommended", so no one wears them. Numbers of cases are going to keep climbing because this area is full of hoaxers.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I wouldn't feel safer at CP. I live 20 miles from Cedar Point, and people here are idiots. Masks are "recommended", so no one wears them. Numbers of cases are going to keep climbing because this area is full of hoaxers.
To piggy back off this, I think the protocols each venue has in place is really key.

Casper Gutman

Bottom line is you nor any other person has any right, nor invitation, to tell others how to live their lives. The only way to stay 100% safe is to never leave your home...that's your prerogative if you so choose. But don't tell others how they should live their lives.
You are aware that we tell people how to live all the time, right? Especially when people’s behavior effects others. You can’t drive drunk... because you’re endangering other people. You have to wear a seatbelt. You have to wear pants. We tell people how to live ALL THE TIME.

To put it another way, right now people who are being irresponsible are determining how responsible people can live.

As to living in fear... I’d argue that pretending a serious pandemic isn’t as dangerous and pervasive as it actually is is often motivated by fear. Pretending the scary thing isn’t there is a way not to be scared. It’s just a less responsible way of dealing with fear.

Jrb1979

I trust Cedar Point. Masks are mandatory and they are very strict with their rules. They already take phones away from people on rides. For that matter if cases continue to rise I wouldn't feel comfortable there either.

LukeS7

The entire field of public health weeps.

The decisions of the individual impacts the whole. When did American society become so selfish?
It always has been. We’re a country that whole-heartedly embraced/embraces the concept of rugged individualism without any regard for how it could impact our society.

mickey0825

You are aware that we tell people how to live all the time, right? Especially when people’s behavior effects others. You can’t drive drunk... because you’re endangering other people. You have to wear a seatbelt. You have to wear pants. We tell people how to live ALL THE TIME.

To put it another way, right now people who are being irresponsible are determining how responsible people can live.

As to living in fear... I’d argue that pretending a serious pandemic isn’t as dangerous and pervasive as it actually is is often motivated by fear. Pretending the scary thing isn’t there is a way not to be scared. It’s just a less responsible way of dealing with fear.
Wait a minute...youre actually comparing driving drunk to visiting Disney World during this time? This is why these debates are inane...people just say the most ridiculous things when they have no other rational response. Youre now comparing committing a crime to making an educated decision on if you want to go to WDW...why dont you just say we tell people you cant murder one another..Just moronic

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
It always has been. We’re a country that whole-heartedly embraced/embraces the concept of rugged individualism without any regard for how it could impact our society.
There have been numerous examples, including pre COVID, where this is not the case.

Chi84

Premium Member

I think the point is that we elect representatives and give them the authority to tell us what to do. That’s different than people telling other people what to do. If something is legal, then it’s up to the individual to decide even though you may believe that person’s decisions put you at risk.

Jrb1979

I don't mean to be so harsh. Its just that where I live I don't see many that downplay Covid-19. Yes we had people crowd beaches but they either closed them the next day or they fined people for not complying with social distancing. For the most part people here want this to get better. For that to happen we have to work together. The quicker we do that the quicker things will open up here. Its why I just shake my head now. It saddens me to see so many not want to work together when right now it's needed.

Miss Bella

The things you listed are laws. It’s not against the law to go to a theme park.

Casper Gutman

Yep. We tell people what is legal and what is illegal. Laws and stuff. Soon, going to WDW will be legal.
We also apply social pressure to control the community. Societies have always done this.

Let’s use a silly example. It is legal to noisily pass wind in a crowded elevator. If you do that every day in the same elevator, however, people are going to start applying social pressure to get you to stop.

Here’s one: cursing in front of other people’s children. Legal in most places, but if you do it you are likely to feel a lot of social pressure to stop.

The above examples are frivolous compared to endangering the health of everyone you come into contact with.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
We also apply social pressure to control the community. Societies have always done this
Sounds like you need to send a letter to Disney, Orange County, and the state then. And maybe picket or start an online petition to keep the parks closed, and reclose the parks that are already open.

If you want to give people a hard time for going, feel free.

milordsloth

Sounds like you need to send a letter to Disney, Orange County, and the state then. And maybe picket or start and online petition to keep the parks closed, and reclose the parks that are already open n

On that note, anyone think there will be protestors on opening day protesting the park opening?

Casper Gutman

Rugged individualism usually went hand-in-hand with the personal obligation to protect the vulnerable. That’s kind of the point of almost every western ever made.

A lot of wonderful and very important concepts that are fundamental to American culture have been over-simplified and distorted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom