Do you think that Disney world will reclose its gates due to the rising number of COVID cases in Florida and around the country?

DisneyCane

For the folks who don’t feel it’s necessary to wear a mask in public, I wonder what their reactions would be to having a surgeon who refused to wear a mask or gloves while operating. I’m guessing they wouldn’t be too happy, and yet wearing that equipment is as much about protecting the patient as it is about protecting the physician. Just something to think about.

It’s an analogy I use when I speak to my patients when they tell me they don’t think they need to wear a mask.

It's a pretty good analogy but in reality is a little extreme. Infections are a huge risk in surgeries. Plus, the person being operated on is already compromised a lot of the time. If a patient gets an infection from a surgery it is a major complication. The chance of an issue from a surgeon (or any OR staff) not wearing a mask is orders of magnitude higher than the risk of an asymptomatic carrier infecting somebody in a store AND that person having a serious illness or dying.

durangojim

It's a pretty good analogy but in reality is a little extreme. Infections are a huge risk in surgeries. Plus, the person being operated on is already compromised a lot of the time. If a patient gets an infection from a surgery it is a major complication. The chance of an issue from a surgeon (or any OR staff) not wearing a mask is orders of magnitude higher than the risk of an asymptomatic carrier infecting somebody in a store AND that person having a serious illness or dying.
Thank you for clarifying this. I had forgotten everything I learned in medical school, residency, and 15 years of practice. ;)

WDW Pro

That’s kinda like blaming the first soldiers on the beach during D Day for getting shot.

There were mistakes made in the choas and unknown. For sure. But I didn’t jump into the car and enter the Indy 500 when I got my learners permit

Florida had every reason to be the epicenter (older population, cruise ship destination, mild spring, etc). It didn't happen. New York didn't get the virus any earlier than California, Florida, or Texas. New York just decided to not use hospital ships sent to them, and instead forced nursing homes to take COVID patients while simultaneously not cleaning subways for two months into the pandemic. It was raw incompetence with real consequences. And don't get me started on how many have needlessly died now that we know definitively hydroxichloriquine substantially lowers death rates in early to mid disease symptoms... and some states literally OUTLAWED A SUCCESSFUL DRUG.

Touchdown

Florida had every reason to be the epicenter (older population, cruise ship destination, mild spring, etc). It didn't happen. New York didn't get the virus any earlier than California, Florida, or Texas. New York just decided to not use hospital ships sent to them, and instead forced nursing homes to take COVID patients while simultaneously not cleaning subways for two months into the pandemic. It was raw incompetence with real consequences. And don't get me started on how many have needlessly died now that we know definitively hydroxichloriquine substantially lowers death rates in early to mid disease symptoms... and some states literally OUTLAWED A SUCCESSFUL DRUG.

Woah, woah, woah I usually defend you but Hydroxychoroquine has not been definitively shown to help at all, it’s no longer approved for emergency use by the FDA. Remdesivir and especially Plasma show much better promise, which is why those are the treatments being used (also dexamethasone in severe cases.)

lilypgirl

And to add insult to injury the reason they banned it was simply out of pure hate towards one human being and want nothing more than for that person to be seen as failure . I posted a link to the Henry Ford hospital announcement about it today over in another thread and a poster had the nerve to say it wasn’t a reputable source!! 🤷🏿‍♀️ When it was pointed out that CNN was also reporting it things went silent. Funny how that happens!

lilypgirl

Woah, woah, woah I usually defend you but Hydroxychoroquine has not been definitively shown to help at all, it’s no longer approved for emergency use by the FDA. Remdesivir and especially Plasma show much better promise, which is why those are the treatments being used (also dexamethasone in severe cases.)

durangojim

Touchdown

One study vs multiple studies. It’s not changing treatment protocols at this time. One person politicized this, much to the annoyance of everyone in the medical field. At this time, it is not being used to treat Covid patients.

Medical research is messy, the CNN article even addresses this if you read past the headline. The current concencencuss is against treating it,there is a reason the WHO stopped studying it; researchers only do this if either another treatment shows clear evidence that it helps better or the thing being studied is having overwhelmingly bad results.

TrojanUSC

carolina_yankee

This is ridiculous. Hydroxichloriquine‘s benefits and risks are still very much in dispute With different studies showing different things

And there are other studies that say different. There is no scientifically settled position that says it’s is helpful. This is one of those things that non-medical professionals are not going to be able to resolve by posting links.

WDW Pro

One study vs multiple studies. It’s not changing treatment protocols at this time. One person politicized this, much to the annoyance of everyone in the medical field. At this time, it is not being used to treat Covid patients.

If it's not being used to treat patients, how are they doing research findings on those being treated with it? It cut the freaking death rate in half. This is a non partisan study, unlike the ones we've seen out of China and the WHO.

You can tell who are politically motivated to a dangerous degree. Anyone who hopes a medicine doesn't work or denies a rigorous study... the FIRST study on patients taking it early on... needs to reevaluate their stance. People who say this drug is dangerous are crazy; we've been using this drug safely for 50 years and know the proper dosage.

I had COVID in April. Just confirmed via antigen test. My doctor prescribed hydroxichloriquine and a z pack. I was better in about 6 days. It didn't hurt that I was already taking zinc and vitamin d prior to the situation.

lilypgirl

If it's not being used to treat patients, how are they doing research findings on those being treated with it? It cut the freaking death rate in half. This is a non partisan study, unlike the ones we've seen out of China and the WHO.

You can tell who are politically motivated to a dangerous degree. Anyone who hopes a medicine doesn't work or denies a rigorous study... the FIRST study on patients taking it early on... needs to reevaluate their stance. People who say this drug is dangerous are crazy; we've been using this drug safely for 50 years and know the proper dosage.

I had COVID in April. Just confirmed via antigen test. My doctor prescribed hydroxichloriquine and a z pack. I was better in about 6 days. It didn't hurt that I was already taking zinc and vitamin d prior to the situation.
You are wasting your time! I actually have dealt with on of these doctors personally and I can guarantee you if he thinks this treatment works and recommends it I would definitely take it. Henry Ford is an amazing hospital system and definitely would not let politics affect their decision making or research findings.

lilypgirl

This is ridiculous. Hydroxichloriquine‘s benefits and risks are still very much in dispute With different studies showing different things

And there are other studies that say different. There is no scientifically settled position that says it’s is helpful. This is one of those things that non-medical professionals are not going to be able to resolve by posting links.
You obviously didn't read the article and honestly this has been really big news today and talked about on most news stations many times today whether you want to believe it or not.

durangojim

You are wasting your time! I actually have dealt with on of these doctors personally and I can guarantee you if he thinks this treatment works and recommends it I would definitely take it. Henry Ford is an amazing hospital system and definitely would not let politics affect their decision making.
I worked for Henry Ford for 10 years before going private. It’s a good system and a worthwhile study.

TrojanUSC

In one study. In MANY others it has shown ZERO effect and in many cases had a deleterious effect. The FDA pulled the emergency use authorization it was so ineffective.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom