News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

Tinkwings

Pfizered Fairy
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
We better hope they don't change the queue or exterior too much. The budget is going to be thin and that is a lot of ground to cover.

My thoughts were they may make the Briar Patch into Mama Odie's gift shop and sell little stuffed voodoo dolls.... :oops:….could even repurpose Brer Bear, Fox, Frog, Rabbit dolls and sew X's over their eyes.....:hilarious:. Yup it's that budget and sooo much to be done, that I fear for the quality overlay theming......just should leave it AS IS!!!!:happy:

And yes I am aware of the current discrepancy of SM in Frontierland, but somehow it works and doesn't shout at you.....sigh....many days I am just singing all the songs and envisioning all the little special details I will miss.....sometimes how I would redo, but mostly NOT. I am hoping they redo DLR first and it takes a few years at that, and thus delays WDW version......

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Aren't they close enough to be lumped together?

:shrugs: IDK, maybe. But the land needs more than a couple of restaurants.

I'd rather they theme the Splash-facing TSI area to a Tiana's Place restaurant and have that land then merge into a new land "Willow Way" or whatever for a Washington Irving-inspired mini land featuring Mr Toad Wild Ride attraction(bring it back!) and a Sleepy Hallow restaurant that then transition to HM/Liberty via a covered bridge.

Last edited:

jt04

Once again, get rid of the steamboat, fill in the ditch, and repurpose the footprint into Tiana's and a Haunted Mansion restaurant complex serviced by a common kitchen.

You could fit Disneyland in that space. Pretty much.

jt04

:shrugs: IDK, maybe. I'd rather they theme Splash-facing TSI to a Tiana's Place restaurant and have that land then merge into a new land Willow Way, for a Washington Irving inspired Mr Toad Wild Ride attraction(bring it back!) and a Sleepy Hallow restaurant that then transition to HM/Liberty via a covered bridge.

If they build critter country somewhere that would open the door for toad to return to his original abode.

Jedijax719

so many options. Seems the biggest issue is the placement of SM relative to Frontierland, especially Big Thunder Mt.

Here's a wild idea. Make the steamboat a Louisiana themed steamboat and build a Tiana restaurant on Tom Sawyer Island. (I know-crucify me for saying that lol)

Or have the wooded area behind Big Thunder built into a FQ with restaurant.

jt04

so many options. Seems the biggest issue is the placement of SM relative to Frontierland, especially Big Thunder Mt.

Here's a wild idea. Make the steamboat a Louisiana themed steamboat and build a Tiana restaurant on Tom Sawyer Island. (I know-crucify me for saying that lol)

Or have the wooded area behind Big Thunder built into a FQ with restaurant.

I have no doubt this is one of many options on the table.

Disney Glimpses

Are we all on the same page that if WDI has an appropriate budget for this attraction that it will be incredible?

The problem is, what are the odds they actually have said budget?

There are obviously a lot of opinions here re: should it be rethemed or not but the biggest issue is even for those who are saying it should be rethemed, do you still think so at the expense of the attraction? You'd rather it be quickly rethemed with 20 projector screens? Because that's what we're probably in for. That's the reason I don't want this, anyways.

I do love Splash as is, but more so I just don't think an off the cuff retheme while they are already in financial distress and other projects being shuttered is going to make anyone happy.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
My point was also just that that's not really what this thread is for. It was created specifically to talk about that attraction, not to speculate wildly about other things they could or couldn't do in all the surrounding areas.
This thread was created because people who wanted to talk about the actual change of the attraction itself were drowned out in the other thread by the same arguments over and over and over on why the change itself is a bad idea or good one.

It’s already confirmed that at DLR the ride gets re-themed and becomes part of New Orleans Square which is literally right next to Splash (HM is next building over). Not sure what they do with Pooh and the restaurant there, maybe stays Critter Country or maybe not. At WDW the ride is smack in the middle of Frontierland so a re-theme to a New Orleans style doesn’t seem to fit and its unlikely they do something different on each coast. A pie in the sky idea is to create a mini-land at WDW themed like New Orleans Square at DLR. They Could either re-theme some existing nearby buildings or expand backstage. The budget doesn’t seem to support that so it’s more likely the approach is just redo the queue, shop and rest room and be done. That has to be done at a minimum, you can’t leave that stuff the way it is. So outside of the AAs and show scenes changing there has to be some changes to part of the area outside of the ride.

Last edited:

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
IMG_20200630_170106_000.jpg
IMG_20200630_170105_998.jpg

Interesting theres nothing on WDW's website about the retheme yet.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Whoa. With those two images you can see how the DL version could easily be PatF'd up. The top image, not so much. Are the exteriors really that different?

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Interestingly enough, even the MK attraction page has the attraction blurb stating that Splash Mountain is a "hare-raising" adventure along a Southern bayou. Southern Bayou you say? And with that; I'd be shocked if "Bayou" isn't include in the rename of the attraction.

Princess Tina's Splash Mountain: Bayou Soirée
(apostrophe and accent marks will be little fireflies)

Last edited:

jt04

Since the WDW version is almost universally accepted as better than DLR's, I still wonder possibility that they do Disneyland's first in a couple years and then WDW's some time from now (or never?)

No way both mountains don't get reimagined as they absolutely should. But they may get different IPs. Hope so. But the MK still should get New Orleans square or street and a PatF presence.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
No way both mountains don't get reimagined as they absolutely should. But they may get different IPs. Hope so. But the MK still should get New Orleans square or street and a PatF presence.
I don’t see them doing different IPs. The rides are not identical so there could be some variation in show scenes but the IP and overall theme will likely be the same. I don’t disagree on the New Orleans Square area for MK to help the ride fit in, but it doesn’t sound like there’s much of a budget for something like that.

jt04

I don’t see them doing different IPs. The rides are not identical so there could be some variation in show scenes but the IP and overall theme will likely be the same. I don’t disagree on the New Orleans Square area for MK to help the ride fit in, but it doesn’t sound like there’s much of a budget for something like that.

Most likely. Still holding out hope for PatF/New Orleans Square and a Critter Country land at the MK.

(Moving the train station would create enough space)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Why? Without the theming the WDW is still the best flume in existence in the US and the Californian one is in the top 5 (WDW Splash, Dudley, Timber Mtn @ Knotts, DL Splash, Paul Bunyan Log Flume @ MOA)
I agree. Even when half the Splash AAs were broken in the dark era before the big refurb it was still a great ride. Realistically they could actually just close the ride and not re-open it for a while but I don’t think that happens. I hope not. I do think they can come up with a quality story and actually make this a pretty good ride...great if they have the budget. There’s a lot of possibilities.

Last edited by a moderator:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom