News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

MythBuster

I don't know the exact budget for the Frozen ride. Photodave again said Frozen at Epcot was $75 mil back in 2014 (apparently after receiving a massive budget cut). I believe this included the restrooms and meet n greet next door, though i'm not 100% sure. I was just posting the $50 mil number as a ballpark figure for what seemed to make sense.

As I said, the other number I heard for PATF (which again didn't come from WDW Pro) was SIGNIFICANTLY lower than $50 mil. Even if the ride system doesn't really need any work, we're still probably looking at a gutting and replacement of at least 90% of the interior scenes and animatronics. The only scene I could see not really needing too much alteration is the Riverboat finale (the animatronics there will still probably be removed though).

Splash Mtn is much longer and contains far more scenes than Maelstrom ever did. The scenes are also way more detailed and packed with AA's than Maelstrom's. So it'll look even worse by comparison if the overhaul doesn't add back in a similar level of physical detail and figures to what it currently holds. Something that I feel is reasonable to say isn't possible with a $50 mil budget (let alone a lesser amount). Heck I think it's extremely unlikely they could do it on a $100 mil budget.

The budget for the Norway pavilion included everything including Meet and Greet, restrooms, Maelstrom refurb. The main reason for the refurb was safety and to improve guest movement and prevent clogs and make everything a smoother transition. They removed the load area and combined into load/unload area and installed access areas through out the ride where they can evacuate every boat in place, whereas they couldn't do before, so it would shorten the amount of downtimes during 101's. The show portion was low on the priority list

I'm afraid this will be the same policy for Splash Mountain, safety items and new ride systems to update the outdated controls will be the priority, the show portion of the ride will suffer. Just add plenty of projectors and screens that will be easier to maintain and saves money in the long run.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
The only 3 named characters in the ride will be Louie, Tianna, and Mama Odie - there is a reason why Disney had quotes on standby from the VA to go ahead with the announcement. And out of all 3 of those the one you will see the most is Louie.

Not much of a PATF ride if there's only those 3 characters.

I suspect there will be more, though not all in AA form.

Characters like Naveen, the La Bouffs and possibly even the Fenner Bros could make an appearance. For what it's worth, there's those bumbling frog-hunting brothers that practically sub-in for the original Song of the South br'er trio. And with that, you have the attraction's main antagonists and a "Louis's Mission" plot that essentially writes itself.

Last edited:

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Whatever they do, I hope they include Dr. Facilier. Every story needs a good villain.
View attachment 480384

I don't think it's likely to happen (see theory above) but I could be wrong. The smarter play, IMO would be for Disney to do a Facilier's Friends on the Otherside overlay during the Halloween events.

Last edited:

MerlinTheGoat

I still can’t speak to the size of the budget, but I can speak to the fact that that^ is not really how resource allocation/capex spending goes.
I don't mean to sound rude, but that seems like a provably false statement. At least indirectly, there are numerous documented cases where budgets have been altered and scaled back in reaction to spending elsewhere in the company as a whole. Even back when WDW first opened, Western River Expedition was canceled pretty much as a direct consequence of Disney deciding to rush out a clone of POTC instead. It was also reported in more recent years that the cost overruns of Shanghai Disneyland as well as the acquisition of 20th Century Fox had caused a lot of belt tightening at both US resorts. I could name a lot more examples as well. I think the original Splash Mtn also heavily cut into the original budget for what would later become Indiana Jones Adventure (Indy was originally planned to be a much larger mini land with multiple intersecting rides). So at least on some level, the idea that budgets aren't slashed and reallocated elsewhere is not entirely true.

Wouldn’t matter if it had 60 million.
This is correct (not about the 60 million number, but i realize that's nonsensical hyperbole anyways). Online petitions are indeed useless, both for and against the change. That said, it's psychologically satisfying that it exists and has vastly larger (and ever increasing) support than the one who support the overhaul.

Last edited:

celluloid

Wouldn’t matter if it had 60 million.

Actually, if it got to that point it might. Although free to sign, that would be more people than actually saw Princess and The Frog In Theaters and home video copies combined! And presuming those people were ready to in majority speak with their wallets, But of course, not likely.

And just for reference, while I am sad about the ride changing, and specifically against it's demonization I saw Princess in The Frog in theaters as an adult with my older bro opening day.

Magic Feather

I don't mean to sound rude, but that seems like a provably false statement. At least indirectly, there are numerous documented cases where budgets have been altered and scaled back in reaction to spending elsewhere in the company as a whole. Even back when WDW first opened, Western River Expedition was canceled pretty much as a direct consequence of Disney deciding to rush out a clone of POTC instead. It was also reported in more recent years that the cost overruns of Shanghai Disneyland as well as the acquisition of 20th Century Fox had caused a lot of belt tightening at both US resorts. I could name a lot more examples as well. I think the original Splash Mtn also heavily cut into the original budget for what would later become Indiana Jones Adventure (Indy was originally planned to be a much larger mini land with multiple intersecting rides). So at least on some level, the idea that budgets aren't slashed and reallocated elsewhere is not entirely true.
I think we're both arguing both sides of the same coin on this one. In earlier, developmental stages everything you said is absolutely true. Planned resources can be shifted from one project to another relatively easily. However, once money is allocated, signed off on, and work is underway, it is very difficult to make a "direct transfer" of resources from one project to another. In this instance, yes, we will se Epcot's initiatives scaled back (or at least slowed down). That was a given. The part I was refuting was that the already in progress Epcot work was being cut directly to make room for the PatF overhaul in budgets. That is not the case.

yensidtlaw1969

People can argue all they want about whether Splash fits Frontierland as it is, but this...

I can’t possibly think of how it could be done without being completely jarring considering where the ride is located. Think of all the sightlines.
Rough Photoshop of the new art over Frontierland in Google Earth:

PATF Google Earth Mockup.jpg

Is it different? Sure, but I'd argue that the change from Splash to this is much less drastic than the change from the original Frontierland Train Station to Splash.

Splash was itself a pretty jarring addition to Frontierland, but we got used to it pretty quick.

champdisney

I don’t see this attraction being a direct continuation from the film. I see the attraction being directly based off of the film. Seriously, can anybody picture this attraction without Ray the Firefly and Dr. Facilier?

Its possible for Facilier to be resurrected but Ray the Firefly passed on to becoming a star!

champdisney

View attachment 480440

Is it different? Sure, but I'd argue that the change from Splash to this is much less drastic than the change from the original Frontierland Train Station to Splash.

Splash was itself a pretty jarring addition to Frontierland, but we got used to it pretty quick.
Wow. Looks like Disney transferred the Tree of Life from DAK to Frontierland. Even more of a reason why it doesn’t fit the land either!

Kate F

View attachment 480440

I’m sure you’re right, but I wasn’t even alive in the pre-Splash days so I’ll just have to take your word for it. As for the picture, I hate it of course.

MerlinTheGoat

I think we're both arguing both sides of the same coin on this one. In earlier, developmental stages everything you said is absolutely true. Planned resources can be shifted from one project to another relatively easily. However, once money is allocated, signed off on, and work is underway, it is very difficult to make a "direct transfer" of resources from one project to another. In this instance, yes, we will se Epcot's initiatives scaled back (or at least slowed down). That was a given. The part I was refuting was that the already in progress Epcot work was being cut directly to make room for the PatF overhaul in budgets. That is not the case.
I don't think that was what WDW Pro was saying either though. I expect projects that are already in a very advanced stage of construction wouldn't be as in danger of major cuts. This obviously includes Ratatouille (which I assume is 95% complete by now) and probably even Tron and Guardians. But I expect other projects that may have been announced and largely conceptually completed (such as the Mary Poppins Carousel or the Wonders of Life redo) would be massively scaled back or canned outright with their approved funds redirected elsewhere.

Though in terms of prefab setpieces or animatronic figures that may not have been made yet (or are very incomplete), I still assume cuts would be possible even if the rest of the ride is fairly well along in construction. I heard this occurred with Countdown to Extinction, with the pitch black segments intended to have lit set pieces and more dinosaur AA's. Some of which may even have begun construction but abruptly halted when the budget was reportedly slashed.

I don’t see this attraction being a direct continuation from the film. I see the attraction being directly based off of the film. Seriously, can anybody picture this attraction without Ray the Firefly and Dr. Facilier?

Its possible for Facilier to be resurrected but Ray the Firefly passed on to becoming a star!
I think it's already confirmed to be post-film. I don't know how accurate the concept art is intended to be at this stage of development. But if it's somewhat accurate, there's a human Tiana figure in her dress alongside Louis going around the first curve after the first lift. If that's at all accurate to the scene that will be in the final product, that further confirms it will be post-film.

My prediction is that Ray will make a mostly non-visible appearance (except as the star), possibly as the ride's narrator. And I wouldn't it past them to just reuse the old Brer Fox projector at the top of the big drop to have Facilier's shadow make a small cameo appearance. Also not a physical appearance.

yensidtlaw1969

I think it's already confirmed to be post-film. I don't know how accurate the concept art is intended to be at this stage of development. But if it's somewhat accurate, there's a human Tiana figure in her dress alongside Louis going around the first curve after the first lift. If that's at all accurate to the scene that will be in the final product, that further confirms it will be post-film.

My prediction is that Ray will make a mostly non-visible appearance (except as the star), possibly as the ride's narrator. And I wouldn't it past them to just reuse the old Brer Fox projector at the top of the big drop to have Facilier's shadow make a small cameo appearance. Also not a physical appearance.
It is confirmed to be post-film - likely in an effort to quell concerns that Tiana would be featured as a Frog in the ride rather than as a human.

I wouldn't read too much into the concept art - I suspect the transformation of the Mountain itself will generally resemble the art, but it's unlikely that figures of Tiana and Louis will be featured at that particular juncture in the ride. Their presence in the art is probably more of an editorial flourish to contextualize everything else happening in the image - "The Mountain will be redone, it will look basically like this, and these are the characters who will feature in this new journey".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom