News Splash Mountain retheme to Princess and the Frog - Tiana's Bayou Adventure

jt04

I do agree that the transitions are a meaningful and tasty ingredient in the flavor of Disneyland. They do still make some smash-cuts, but those moments where things bleed together are really, really stunning and rarely equalled in any of the other parks.

My thought for squirreling any New Orleans stuff back behind the train tracks is based in part on the WDW method - not only would it spare the main drag of Frontierland as it exists presently, but it would remove the need to transition from "Old West" by the land's Liberty Square end to New Orleans in the middle and back to Old West by the time you reach Big Thunder. To your point, keeping it on the other side of the tracks would let the Train Station act as a transitional gateway between the existing Frontierland and its area music and a New Orleans area with jazz music contained to the other side. The bridge immediately in front of the mountain would presumably feature some PATF music as well, but at least then that would be the only sonic intrusion in the existing Frontierland.

That said, I don't think I really expect them to go to such lengths to build a New Orleans area on any size in the Magic Kingdom to "justify" PATF in Frontierland. But it is fun to think about.

If they take the extra step and do something along these lines it becomes timeless and classic. IMO.

I favor transitioning from the Liberty Square Tavern to Splash in the same manner as the architecture transitions in Liberty Square. Subtle and effective. Following the Ohio/Mississippi Rivers thematically and over time along the waterway. Frontierland can go behind BTMRR. Parts can go to Fort Wilderness.

PS - this would fit TSI perfectly. Although TSI reimagined as Critter Country also works and would be my chioce. By raft, tunnel or moveable bridge.

Last edited:

doctornick

I mean, New Orleans Square was initially intended to be a mini-land subset of Frontierland. By the time it opened it had enough substance on the menu to be properly referred to as its own land, but still always sort of fell under the umbrella of Frontierland.

The layout of Frontierland at WDW isn't the most conducive to effective transitions from "The Old West" to New Orleans (and back again, as it seems the case would almost have to be), but you could get away with a New Orleans subset of Frontierland thematically. Not perfectly ideal, but not impossible.

I wouldn't hate if they opened up the area beyond the Frontierland Train Station and built a New Orleans mini-land. That way you've got the Train Station partitioning it off from the rest of the land visually (save for the Mountain itself, of course), and you'd both enter and exit the PATF Ride in New Orleans. Rip out the restrooms, put in some eateries and a couple shops, and put some Wrought Iron Railings over the current Splash exit buildings and let it all exist as a lovely Frontierland equivalent of Storybook Circus.

Exactly. If they wanted to add some New Orleans elements around PatF Splash, the best place to do it is at the RR station and west which is an established expansion pad. They could easy add some sort of food service combined with changing the look of the post ride shop and RR station and create a nice secluded NO area that doesn’t disrupt Frontierland otherwise.

It doesn’t sound like anything like that is in the cards given budgets but it would make more sense than retheming Peco’s or part of Adventureland

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
I'm still hung-up on the transition from PatF to Big Thunder. Adding New Orleans elements by the train station is one thing... I think a new mini land is a fine idea. But it still doesn't really address the disharmonious theme transitions from PatF to Big Thunder. The only thing I can think of to effectively transition the land would be to - now for the blasphemous, dangerous thinking- retheme Big Thunder. Should WDI look at retheming Big Thunder to better fit the land? A cypress timber/logging company perhaps to tie into the log flume attraction next door?

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm still hung-up on the transition from PatF to Big Thunder. Adding New Orleans elements by the train station is one thing... I think a new mini land is a fine idea. But it still doesn't really address the disharmonious theme transitions from PatF to Big Thunder. The only thing I can think of to effectively transition the land would be to - now for the blasphemous, dangerous thinking- retheme Big Thunder. Should WDI look at retheming Big Thunder to better fit the land?
The outside of PatF that faces big thunder doesn’t have to change at all. The inside of the ride, queue and gift shop can all be updated to a New Orleans vibe.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Just broaden the categories. Get rid of the problematic "frontier" and make everything from HM to BTMR to PotC "The American Experience" which would include the mini-lands of Liberty Square, Mississippi Valley, The Caribbean, Southwest Mountains, and whatever Haunted Mansion is.

Then rename Adventure Land to "World Adventure" to distinguish it from the domestic experience.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The outside of PatF that faces big thunder doesn’t have to change at all. The inside of the ride, queue and gift shop can all be updated to a New Orleans vibe.

Indeed.

HoP is limited to the Colonial times as its facade and placement in Liberty Square would dictate. Same with Ye Olde Christmas Shoppe... very little Ye Olde Christmas ornaments.

And is everything behind the Main Street facades time and place appropriate (o, hai, Tink!)?

UNCgolf

I'm still hung-up on the transition from PatF to Big Thunder. Adding New Orleans elements by the train station is one thing... I think a new mini land is a fine idea. But it still doesn't really address the disharmonious theme transitions from PatF to Big Thunder. The only thing I can think of to effectively transition the land would be to - now for the blasphemous, dangerous thinking- retheme Big Thunder. Should WDI look at retheming Big Thunder to better fit the land? A cypress timber/logging company perhaps to tie into the log flume attraction next door?

There is absolutely no chance they do this. That's a lot of additional money that they won't want to spend (and that needs to be spent elsewhere).

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Hmm. Maybe.
If the budget is as low as rumored I don’t see how they have the money to redo much on the outside of the mountain. There’s likely not enough to do a proper gutting of the inside plus the queue. From the one piece of concept art it looks like maybe a paint job and a boat in a tree??? Not much to go on, but the outside of the mountain looks pretty similar.

imagineer97

In the Parks
No
Re: Budget
Even is $50 M is the number (which I honestly don’t know, but it sounds a little too low to me).
Remember that the exterior isn’t even changing too much, and one of the reason Frozenstrom had issues was the ride infrastructure (which I believe Splash’s many refurbishments have already done the brunt of the work on).
Based on the concept art, the exterior seems to be changing quite a bit, as it no longer looks like a mountain (and honestly, shouldn't because it's New Orleans). Especially in WDW the exterior is particularly rockier than DL's version.

Plutomickey24

I love Splash Mountain the way it is. I do think that Tiana deserves her own ride or restaurant though. My opinion is they could that by retheming Liberty Square. They could make it New Orleans. Haunted Mansion will still fit in. They make the Rivers of America a Bayou and the River Boat brings you through the Bayou scene in the movie where you meet Louis and the Firefly (Can't remember his name). There could be a spot that's all of the fireflies all lit up to welcome you. Then you join Louis in a concert on the River Boat. They could have animatronics that come up from the floor and play music and then the Fireflies fly around you during the performance. Columbia Harbor House could be rethemed to a New Orleans style quick service location and Hall of President's could become Tiana's Place. Just my opinion

_caleb

Just broaden the categories. Get rid of the problematic "frontier" and make everything from HM to BTMR to PotC "The American Experience" which would include the mini-lands of Liberty Square, Mississippi Valley, The Caribbean, Southwest Mountains, and whatever Haunted Mansion is.

Then rename Adventure Land to "World Adventure" to distinguish it from the domestic experience.
I was totally with you until "World Adventure." What is this, Epcot? :hilarious:

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Based on the concept art, the exterior seems to be changing quite a bit, as it no longer looks like a mountain (and honestly, shouldn't because it's New Orleans). Especially in WDW the exterior is particularly rockier than DL's version.

Exactly the concern. If Splash no longer has the same redrock paint job it no longer fits. Renaming the land doesn't work and neither does adding a New Orleans area behind or adjacent to Splash. Whatever they decide I hope they consider an increased budget for WDW's Splash Mountain. It's going to need it unless TDO no longer cares about thematic integrity and transition between lands and attractions.

Last edited:

TeriofTerror

I love Splash Mountain the way it is. I do think that Tiana deserves her own ride or restaurant though. My opinion is they could that by retheming Liberty Square. They could make it New Orleans. Haunted Mansion will still fit in. They make the Rivers of America a Bayou and the River Boat brings you through the Bayou scene in the movie where you meet Louis and the Firefly (Can't remember his name). There could be a spot that's all of the fireflies all lit up to welcome you. Then you join Louis in a concert on the River Boat. They could have animatronics that come up from the floor and play music and then the Fireflies fly around you during the performance. Columbia Harbor House could be rethemed to a New Orleans style quick service location and Hall of President's could become Tiana's Place. Just my opinion
My biggest issue with this is that MK's HM has a Dutch Gothic Revival feel that belongs more along the Hudson than in New Orleans, IMO.

JTT

Whatever they do, I hope they include Dr. Facilier. Every story needs a good villain.
1593462349740.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom