Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
I was surprised Dollywood and Silver dollar City opened so early. They are privately owned and don’t have to answer to shareholders.

DW was a tough one for me but I threw all reasoning out the window because I assume Dolly’s doing the right thing (I know she isn’t the decider). Maybe that’s how some people think about Disney? It doesn’t make sense in either case.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They are not closing because they want to look good, they are only closing because the state government is forcing them to. I see almost 0% chance WDW delays opening.
You think they fought that decision?

Disney is public traded...so they have a “responsibility” to open.

But they don’t want to...when no one is traveling? Hell no.

Sacramento is running cover for them in this case.

disneygeek90

I guess my other question is... say they close? What happens to cast members like my husband that are already back working?
You're seeking answers that literally none of us would know. There's too much up in the air and too much uncertainty.

I don't see Florida forcing them not to open. At all. Disneyland's reason for not opening is based on not receiving government approval.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Case load is not going to come down in FL anytime soon. . Some people at the top are going to have to wake up and they have take a lot of Ambien.
Maybe this is too “rose colored glasses“ but if some simple steps are taken immediately (like starting tomorrow) the numbers could begin to improve in a few weeks and it’s possible by as early as say August 1 the situation is much better. So in that case it’s not a 6 month delay, maybe a few weeks to a month.

milordsloth

You think they fought that decision?

Disney is public traded...so they have a “responsibility” to open.

But they don’t want to...when no one is traveling? Hell no.

Sacramento is running cover for them in this case.

If they open the fans will be there. "No one traveling" has nothing to do with the opening.

TrainsOfDisney

DW was a tough one for me but I threw all reasoning out the window because I assume Dolly’s doing the right thing (I know she isn’t the decider). Maybe that’s how some people think about Disney? It doesn’t make sense in either case.

Have you been to Dollywood since they opened? How was it? I was hoping to feel safe enough to visit and walk around the park and enjoy the atmosphere and outdoor entertainment at least. Maybe a couple outdoor rides too.

legwand77

I guess it depends on what the headlines say. My gut says the mainstream news media will spin it that the state of CA is stopping them from opening as opposed to Disney doing it on their own. Plays into the whole blue vs red state conflict. Maybe I‘m wrong, but it seems like a prime story to hype.

Not quite spin when that is exactly what Disney stated was the reason

legwand77

Have you been to Dollywood since they opened? How was it? I was hoping to feel safe enough to visit and walk around the park and enjoy the atmosphere and outdoor entertainment at least. Maybe a couple outdoor rides too.
So far Dollywood is the only place in PF area masks are really being worn, but I did see some videos of some customers not wearing them properly

ParentsOf4

This wasn't a Walt Disney company choice. That was the government. They really had no choice.
Yes and no.

Iger and Newsom are close. If they both wanted Disneyland open, they would have found a way to make it happen. Neither wanted it open.

This gives Iger cover with shareholders.

Iger would do the same, if he could, in Orlando. But, so far, DeSantis is not giving Iger the cover he needs.

In Florida, there's no way to know who is going to say uncle first.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster

Alas, no. I haven’t stepped out of a ten block radius in NYC since this all started. I want to go back to Dollywood almost more than I do WDW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom