Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jwink

I guess my other question is... say they close? What happens to cast members like my husband that are already back working?

Miss Bella

Hospitals are not overwhelmed... yet. Numerous municipalities are seeing some of their hospitals fill to capacity (Miami, parts of Texas, Arizona). This is not going to look good in a week or two if it keeps up and there will be no choice but to walk things back.
We don't know if it will keep up as you put it. I'm in one of the states. I've worked on a Covid floor since March and nothing I've seen has made me think shutting things down was a good idea. Believe it or not we fill to max capacity every flu season and no one cares.

TrojanUSC

They are not closing because they want to look good, they are only closing because the state government is forcing them to. I see almost 0% chance WDW delays opening.

Unless there was some apprehension given the statistics in the LA area that reopening would be unsafe, it would be a lot better for their brand to hide behind Sacramento than to say "Sorry we just don't feel like we can keep you safe right now. Talk in a month."

I guess my other question is... say they close? What happens to cast members like my husband that are already back working?

Right back to furlough, or offered a position at an area that will remain operating (DVC resorts etc).

oceanbreeze77

So far it’s only the state of CA that is delaying the DLR opening. The company hasn’t said they want to delay because of safety they said if the state waited until after Juiy 4 to approve their plan it wouldn’t give them enough time to make the opening date.
I get that, but that's why I say optics plays a huge part. You and I, who care about Disney, read the statement. The average American won't.

Why is one US theme park operating, but not the other one?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Yep, sure would. I mean just about every single business that is open is putting their employees at risk. Grocery stores, fast food, etc etc. Employers just have to do what is necessary to try to keep them as safe as possible. Like enforcing the rules. Opening today or opening any day before an effective vaccine is widely in use is essentially the same thing in my opinion. .
True, unless you think the case load will come down again. If the total number of active cases is lower the risk to CMs is lower. It’s one valid argument for waiting vs opening now. When thinking about guests infecting CMs at WDW it’s really the national picture as much as the local one in Central FL since guests come from all over, but the local situation plays a much larger part in CMs infecting other CMs.

oceanbreeze77

Why are some six flags open but not others? Because of the states allowing them to or not. They want to open whatever they can.
Because no offense to them, but Six Flags isn't really the primo of the theme park world.
They're not a leading place on safety and don't have the name and impact Disney does.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I get that, but that's why I say optics plays a huge part. You and I, who care about Disney, read the statement. The average American won't.

Why is one US theme park operating, but not the other one?
I guess it depends on what the headlines say. My gut says the mainstream news media will spin it that the state of CA is stopping them from opening as opposed to Disney doing it on their own. Plays into the whole blue vs red state conflict. Maybe I‘m wrong, but it seems like a prime story to hype.

Jwink

True, unless you think the case load will come down again. If the total number of active cases is lower the risk to CMs is lower. It’s one valid argument for waiting vs opening now. When thinking about guests infecting CMs at WDW it’s really the national picture as much as the local one in Central FL since guests come from all over, but the local situation plays a much larger part in CMs infecting other CMs.

exposure to thousands a day... then break rooms.... rehearsals etc 🤦🏼‍♀️

oceanbreeze77

I guess it depends on what the headlines say. My gut says the mainstream news media will spin it that the state of CA is stopping them from opening as opposed to Disney doing it on their own. Plays into the whole blue vs red state conflict. Maybe I‘m wrong, but it seems like a prime story to hype.
I think no matter how they spin this one, Disney reopening doesn't come out looking good

legwand77

Hospital ICU and bed capacity actually improved a bit today in the hotspot of Miami Dade. Non ICU now 26.8% capacity and ICU 38.5% capacity, which is in the normal range. Also Orlando health is in the normal range for capacity currently.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster

Agreed. For the first time in a long while, I can say that all media will play it that way.

icc2515

Case load is not going to come down in FL anytime soon. . Some people at the top are going to have to wake up and they have take a lot of Ambien.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom