Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Not quite spin when that is exactly what Disney stated was the reason
I didn’t say they didn’t state that. The other poster said people would wonder why Disney closed one park for safety and not the other one in FL. I was just pointing out that the media will be sure to mention the state of CA is preventing the openimg and likely point out that FL has already approved the WDW opening plan.

legwand77

Severely diminished.

Right now....they’re down 20% of business in Florida till at least the end of July. That’s without a new roadblock to the northeast.
well they are reducing capacity for far more than that. In the OC planning meetings they were only relistically planning on neighboring states, southeast to be coming to the parks. Same with Universal.

milordsloth

You couldn’t be more wrong.

Those parks cost a fortune to run...if there aren’t large crowds, they don’t make any money.

That’s the model...it’s not a secret.

All I'm responding to is that they would have opened on July 17th if the state allowed them to. Obviously the parks are expensive to run. The parks are also expensive for them not running. They want to open ASAP and the fans will be there when they do.

legwand77

Alas, no. I haven’t stepped out of a ten block radius in NYC since this all started. I want to go back to Dollywood almost more than I do WDW.
Lets just say you will be in for a shock going to Pigeon Forge from NYC between the level of concern/shutdown/masks.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
well they are reducing capacity for far more than that. In the OC planning meetings they were only relistically planning on neighboring states, southeast to be coming to the parks. Same with Universal.
WDW can’t stay open for long on locals and neighboring states only. Universal is a much more local park.

icc2515

Maybe this is too “rose colored glasses“ but if some simple steps are taken immediately (like starting tomorrow) the numbers could begin to improve in a few weeks and it’s possible by as early as say August 1 the situation is much better.
You are right, but no one at the top is prepared to take even simple steps. It might make it look like they made a bad decision to begin with.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
All I'm responding to is that they would have opened on July 17th if the state allowed them to. Obviously the parks are expensive to run. The parks are also expensive for them not running. They want to open ASAP and the fans will be there when they do.
We’ll agree to disagree.

FYI - Disneyland has a greater chance of financial success at this time. Large local market.

As I said in one of 800 posts on this thread (I’m going now...)...Europe, South America and Canada are locked off to WDW completely right now. And now deterrents from largely populated, big money states are in play.

Just because the individual costs are high for travelers, doesn’t mean there will be enough to make any money.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster

I suppose with capacity restrictions, it will be easier to convince the shareholders that the parks are packed. This is a good thing. I just wonder how many people will show up at a park, claim they misunderstood the reservation system or make up some other excuse and still be allowed into the park. It happens with regular admission, I’ve seen it many times. I don’t know, it’s all speculation until we see it in action.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
Lets just say you will be in for a shock going to Pigeon Forge from NYC between the level of concern/shutdown/masks.

Trust me, I merely have to walk outside to see the absence of concern and masks. I don’t think people realize that though we’re now a poster child for following the rules, numbers are going to spike again. I see it out in the street. And now we’re in phase 2 and people think it’s over.

Last edited:

Miss Bella

Yes and no.

Iger and Newsom are close. If they both wanted Disneyland open, they would have found a way to make it happen. Neither wanted it open.

This gives Iger cover with shareholders.

Iger would do the same, if he could, in Orlando. But, so far, DeSantis is not giving Iger the cover he needs.

In Florida, there's no way to know who is going to say uncle first.
...and you know this how again?

legwand77

Trust me, I merely have to walk outside to see the absence of concern and masks. I don’t think people realize that though we’re now a poster child for following the rules, numbers are going to spike again. I see it out in the street. And now we’re in phase 2 and people think it’s over.
"its over" in NYC is much different than "its over" in Pigeon Forge

Miss Bella

I find it funny how people make statements about the relationship between Iger, Newsome and De Santis. How would anyone possibly know this?

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
We don't know if it will keep up as you put it. I'm in one of the states. I've worked on a Covid floor since March and nothing I've seen has made me think shutting things down was a good idea. Believe it or not we fill to max capacity every flu season and no one cares.

I’m curious, where are you located?

legwand77

I suppose with capacity restrictions, it will be easier to convince the shareholders that the parks are packed. This is a good thing. I just wonder how many people will show up at a park, claim they misunderstood the reservation system or make up some other excuse and still be allowed into the park. It happens with regular admission, I’ve seen it many times. I don’t know, it’s all speculation until we see it in action.
yup, that will be very common, a significant portion of the customer base is pretty much clueless about everything discussed on here as far as WDW procedure. Every visit I see multiple groups not understanding fastpass, what is a fastpass? etc.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
yup, that will be very common, a significant portion of the customer base is pretty much clueless about everything discussed on here as far as WDW procedure. Every visit I see multiple groups not understanding fastpass, what is a fastpass? etc.

Yes. But FP+ is one thing. These slip-ups will directly affect the capacity restrictions they have in place. Maybe they’re already accounting for them in their initial numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom