Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rider

Based on what? An increase in the cases we are seeing is going to lead to the number of deaths we saw in New York? That is quite an assumption. Even with the increase of cases, Florida (and the rest of the country) is in a much better position to handle the illness overall, whether from a testing perspective or from a health care perspective. Florida is now doing a better job with their nursing homes. This isn't April where no one knows what is going on. If we ever saw New York numbers in Florida, it would be a monumental collapse. Is any expert right now saying this is even a consideration?

Florida should be careful right now. It is important that they are keenly aware of what is occurring. But lets not get carried away with predictions just because "it could" happen.
The Sunshine State has "all the markings of the next large epicenter of coronavirus transmission," and risks being the "worst it has ever been," according to projections from a model by scientists at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia and the University of Pennsylvania.

"That makes me very worried because, at the numbers they're now seeing, it's very easy to start doubling and lose control of the epidemic," Dr. David Rubin, director of PolicyLab at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, told CNN on Thursday.

Rubin said model predictions are matched by actual cases in Florida and confirmed by increasing hospitalizations from Tampa to Orlando to Miami-Dade County and up the east and west coasts of the state.

"The potential for the virus to take off there is very, very nerve-racking and could have catastrophic consequences" because of the state's aging population and the prevalence of nursing homes and retirement communities, said Dr. Jeanne Marrazzo, director of the division of infectious diseases at the University of Alabama at Birmingham.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Apple is temporarily again closing 11 stores in four states again because of "current COVID-19 conditions."

The closures include all six Arizona stores, two on Florida's West Coast, two in North Carolina and one in South Carolina, Apple shared with USA TODAY. The four states have experienced spikes in number of coronavirus cases."

“Due to current COVID-19 conditions in some of the communities we serve, we are temporarily closing stores in these areas," Apple said in a statement. "We take this step with an abundance of caution as we closely monitor the situation and we look forward to having our teams and customers back as soon as possible."

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
The Sunshine State has "all the markings of the next large epicenter of coronavirus transmission," and risks being the "worst it has ever been," according to projections from a model by scientists at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia and the University of Pennsylvania.

"That makes me very worried because, at the numbers they're now seeing, it's very easy to start doubling and lose control of the epidemic," Dr. David Rubin, director of PolicyLab at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, told CNN on Thursday.

Rubin said model predictions are matched by actual cases in Florida and confirmed by increasing hospitalizations from Tampa to Orlando to Miami-Dade County and up the east and west coasts of the state.

"The potential for the virus to take off there is very, very nerve-racking and could have catastrophic consequences" because of the state's aging population and the prevalence of nursing homes and retirement communities, said Dr. Jeanne Marrazzo, director of the division of infectious diseases at the University of Alabama at Birmingham.

So, no, no one is predicting New York type deaths. As I mentioned, there is a reason to be concerned. But I will add, no reason to be hysterical....we should have a better idea in a week or so.

oceanbreeze77

“Due to current COVID-19 conditions in some of the communities we serve, we are temporarily closing stores in these areas," Apple said in a statement. "We take this step with an abundance of caution as we closely monitor the situation and we look forward to having our teams and customers back as soon as possible."

This is a very responsible statement. Maybe this will put pressure on companies like Disney.

oceanbreeze77

WDW is not set to open until July 11th. So I don't think this puts any pressure on them right now.
what do you think happens to all of the people who are being admitted to the hospital right now?
How long does that take?

Taking action now is the responsible thing to do.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I don't know what to tell you if you think "worst it's ever been" and "catastrophic consequences" is A-OK because no one mentioned New York by name.

I didn't say it was okay. But it is also a bit of hyperbole. "Risks being..." "Could have..."

Rider

Current UofW model has projected 18,000 deaths in FL by 10/1. But the uncertainty range is from 8,000-55,000.

The model also shows the all the FL ICU beds full around when Disney reopens in a couple weeks.

legwand77

Current UofW model has projected 18,000 deaths in FL by 10/1. But the uncertainty range is from 8,000-55,000.

The model also shows the all the FL ICU beds full around when Disney reopens in a couple weeks.

That range though....

not going to make any comment on that "model"

Clyde Birdbrain

Unknown Member
Florida reported a new record of 3,822 new COVID-19 cases today:

Italy had 6,600 cases on its worst day on 21 March before cases started going down. That was almost 2 weeks after the start of their national lockdown.

Italy's population (60 million) is almost 3 times that of Florida (21 million), so Florida's cases right now are far worse than Italy on its worst day and we're opening things up and wearing masks has turned into a political issue.

If this continues I don't see how Disney World is opening up in 3 weeks.

Seanual757

Have things gone well at the Springs? Operationally yes, but record high number of cases every day this past week - and still climbing.

Yes the Springs have the T-Rex issue was out of Disney's control and the management and owners of T-Rex need to be held accountable if they were aware the worker was sick, and if the worker actually knew he was sick should be fired period.

Yes cases are up and when you see people walking around without masks you can see why the cases are up. They need to enforce the no mask rule kick people out of any establishment if they do not have one.

At Costco it's mandatory you have a mask if not one will be provides if you do not want to wear one you are asked to leave. It's not that hard, Publix, Walmart, malls, ect.... can do the same thing.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Yes the Springs have the T-Rex issue was out of Disney's control and the management and owners of T-Rex need to be held accountable if they were aware the worker was sick, and if the worker actually knew he was sick should be fired period.

Yes cases are up and when you see people walking around without masks you can see why the cases are up. They need to enforce the no mask rule kick people out of any establishment if they do not have one.

At Costco it's mandatory you have a mask if not one will be provides if you do not want to wear one you are asked to leave. It's not that hard, Publix, Walmart, malls, ect.... can do the same thing.
Eventually, it will be mandatory everywhere, but most likely not enforced. I guess I just don't understand people's reluctance on wearing one. Is a pride thing? A sign of weakness? A disbelief that they are effective or doing anything to help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom