Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
"Major League Baseball’s first known coronavirus outbreak has occurred at the Phillies’ spring-training facility in Clearwater, Fla. Five players and three staff members have tested positive for COVID-19, the Phillies said in a statement Friday, confirming an NBC Sports Philadelphia report, with the first confirmed case occurring June 16."

"The names of the infected people -- which extends to family members (adults and children), according to a source, who weren’t counted in the Phillies’ stated tally -- have not been released due to medical privacy law. It’s not believed that any of the people have required hospitalization, the source said.
Eight staff members have tested negative, according to the team, while 32 others (20 players, including minor leaguers, and 12 staff members) are still awaiting their test results."

All facilities in Clearwater have been closed indefinitely to all players, coaches and staff and will remain closed until medical authorities are confident that the virus is under control and our facilities are disinfected.

The Tampa Bay Lightning have temporarily closed their training facilities after several players and staffers test positive for COVID-19

The blue jays shut Dunedin too...because of cross contamination with Phillies personal.
I honestly don't see the NBA plan coming to fruition.
No way

hopemax

Eventually, it will be mandatory everywhere, but most likely not enforced. I guess I just don't understand people's reluctance on wearing one. Is a pride thing? A sign of weakness? A disbelief that they are effective or doing anything to help?
Like all the divisions in this country, it's political. The original February "Even though we believe the virus is real, we believe the overreaction by Democrats is a hoax to make the administration look bad." March / April's Europe & NYC numbers temporarily scared people into compliance. Once those numbers decreased, and it went back to being a more invisible threat... People are using masks as shorthand to demonstrate which side they are on, and recent events have only intensified the need for some people to visibly push back.

But same as it ever was, virus doesn't care. Unfortunately, since we know data doesn't effectively change people's minds, all the studies on effectiveness, hospitalization rates, or death rates won't mean much as long as people don't see people in their circle affected.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Like all the divisions in this country, it's political. The original February "Even though we believe the virus is real, we believe the overreaction by Democrats is a hoax to make the administration look bad." March / April's Europe & NYC numbers temporarily scared people into compliance. Once those numbers decreased, and it went back to being a more invisible threat... People are using masks as shorthand to demonstrate which side they are on, and recent events have only intensified the need for some people to visibly push back.

But same as it ever was, virus doesn't care. Unfortunately, since we know data doesn't effectively change people's minds, all the studies on effectiveness, hospitalization rates, or death rates won't mean much as long as people don't see people in their circle affected.
It's become political, but I think it comes down to stubbornness and selfishness. I don't care what political affiliation the public has, data and common sense say, wear a mask. Oh well. I don't like to wear one, I won't be going to WDW because of that, but I certainly do when I run into a store for something.

legwand77

to clarify I mean, if someone gets the virus, it takes longer than 14 days for them to get sick enough to seek help. Which is why the may crowds/reopenings are the results we are seeing now.
Not true timeline to hospitalization, if you get that sick, is on average 5 to 10 days.

hopemax

The average is 5-6 days. Min 2, max 14. Memorial Day was 26 days ago. Mother's Day was 40 days ago.

You also have to build in some iteration times to really see the effects. The first iteration of viral spread won't register a blip, without major contact tracing / testing. To see community spread, it takes a few 5-day infection cycles. We don't really know how much "build up" it takes before the virus gets enough community spread momentum to be a problem.

legwand77

Where's our task force? Why can't we know what patterns they see in cases and transmission? If bars are the problem in Florida, work on that. Manufacturing, nursing homes, etc. We have been left in complete darkness about what they are observing about the virus. We should all be united in wanting to know what they've been up to these past few weeks. They know something. They interview those who become infected and can often trace things back. Let us know what you know so we can understand. Otherwise it feels like drive-by fear when there's usually much more going on that they could discuss.

Desantis just gave a briefing addressing exactly the things you mentioned, and Florida is much more transparent about data than most states. It is all here https://floridahealthcovid19.gov/

There isn't a big conspiracy

legwand77

You also have to build in some iteration times to really see the effects. The first iteration of viral spread won't register a blip, without major contact tracing / testing. To see community spread, it takes a few 5-day infection cycles. We don't really know how much "build up" it takes before the virus gets enough community spread momentum to be a problem.
ah yes the two more weeks....we have already had 3 interations from Memorial, 8 since Mother's Day how many more do we need?

DCBaker

Premium Member
A coalition of unions representing 17,000 Disneyland cast members have sent a letter demanding that California Gov. Gavin Newsom stop Disney’s Anaheim theme parks from reopening on July 17 out of concern for employee safety.

“Disney wants clearance from the government to reopen the Disneyland Resort in July,” according to the letter from the Coalition of Resort Labor Unions. “Unfortunately, despite intensive talks with the company, we are not yet convinced that it is safe to reopen the parks on Disney’s rapid timetable.”

Rider

data without context can be considered stunning. 7500 people will die today in the US
Yep this pandemic has made “journalists” lazy. Context is everything, particularly in Covid’s case.

D56C77B8-34B9-42BD-9163-0F1E60E1EBCC.jpeg

legwand77

I'm not saying its fine, but when headlines read catastrophic everyday you get the boy who cried wolf situation. Provide more details then a pathetic tweet with 2 numbers on it. That's all I am saying.
Plus looking at the azhealth site official numbers, he did his math wrong on his reporting the number, it is not that high, it is actually 9.5%

Some of this is getting bad as yelling fire in a crowded theater

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It's become political, but I think it comes down to stubbornness and selfishness. I don't care what political affiliation the public has, data and common sense say, wear a mask. Oh well. I don't like to wear one, I won't be going to WDW because of that, but I certainly do when I run into a store for something.
...If you’ll look way back to when this started...you’ll find it was political on day one.

...and typically...one side was dead right and one was dead wrong.

And the sun will rise in the east tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom