Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

legwand77

Many of the states with spikes are running out of ICU capacity because of covid patients. Floridas hospital reporting is lackluster, however, palm beach reports ICU shortage, but AZ, NC, TX are all going through similar rapid growth in hospitalizations. CA counties are already planning ahead with surge hospitals.

Palm Beach county is currently at 19% remaining capacity same as Orange is at 23%, those are pretty much regular numbers. AZ is not drastic either the are sitting around 16% for ICU, with the vast majority not being Covid,w ith the nmumbers actually decreasing since Wed. Nothing rapid going on.

also here is Houston Texas medical system ICU capacity from yesterday , still below normal but worth monitoring, not a rapid rise panic mode. It is the same story with California as well.

Attachments

• 9-TMC-total-icu-bed-occupancy-6-19-2020.png
    9-TMC-total-icu-bed-occupancy-6-19-2020.png
    197.7 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

mickeymiss

Unpopular opinion alert but what are we supposed to do? Keep locked down? It's such a mess as it is. High unemployment. Mental unrest. Protests are still ongoing. Schools can't stay closed. All states are feeling pressure to open. Even NY. Fauci said another lockdown won't be necessary. I agree that masks/distancing are good ideas but rolling back on opening will be a disaster. We aren't promised a cure or a vaccine. Herd immunity is disrupted. Hiding from it doesn't feel like an option anymore. It seems like we need to focus on protecting those at highest risk. My husband has worked at a hospital this whole time. No coworkers have had the virus. We don't know of any cases personally. Caution seems to work. I think the right combination of opening with safety measures enforced is the only way through. 🤷‍♀️

oceanbreeze77

No coworkers have had the virus. We don't know of any cases personally. Caution seems to work. I think the right combination of opening with safety measures enforced is the only way through. 🤷‍♀️
What we are seeing is a problem of non compliance. Yes I agree that the correct safety measures and enforcement is an answer, but people are ruining it for everyone else.

mickeymiss

What we are seeing is a problem of non compliance. Yes I agree that the correct safety measures and enforcement is an answer, but people are ruining it for everyone else.

I understand but this is also part of living in a free country. I'm in a very restricted state that has had low case counts. Masks can't be enforced here or anywhere. It comes down to making our own risk assessments. Whatever they are doing at grocery stores seems to be working well despite varying mask compliance. I think distancing and basic practical caution is as important as the masks.

ImperfectPixie

I understand but this is also part of living in a free country. I'm in a very restricted state that has had low case counts. Masks can't be enforced here or anywhere. It comes down to making our own risk assessments. Whatever they are doing at grocery stores seems to be working well despite varying mask compliance. I think distancing and basic practical caution is as important as the masks.
Leaving it to individual choice is proving to not work when we're in the midst of a pandemic.

Rider

Unpopular opinion alert but what are we supposed to do? Keep locked down? It's such a mess as it is. High unemployment. Mental unrest. Protests are still ongoing. Schools can't stay closed. All states are feeling pressure to open. Even NY. Fauci said another lockdown won't be necessary. I agree that masks/distancing are good ideas but rolling back on opening will be a disaster. We aren't promised a cure or a vaccine. Herd immunity is disrupted. Hiding from it doesn't feel like an option anymore. It seems like we need to focus on protecting those at highest risk. My husband has worked at a hospital this whole time. No coworkers have had the virus. We don't know of any cases personally. Caution seems to work. I think the right combination of opening with safety measures enforced is the only way through. 🤷‍♀️
Do: Increased testing. Contact tracing. Bipartisan support for safety measures like social distancing and masks. Bridge funding for people and business who can't work or open at full capacity.

Don't: Throw your hands up and pretend there is nothing you can do. Trade American lives for political points. Keep moving forward with reopening without regard for the results.

legwand77

Do: Increased testing. Contact tracing. Bipartisan support for safety measures like social distancing and masks. Bridge funding for people and business who can't work or open at full capacity.

Don't: Throw your hands up and pretend there is nothing you can do. Trade American lives for political points. Keep moving forward with reopening without regard for the results.
I haven't seen anywhere where your "Don't" is the policy.

legwand77

When Covid first started someone told me," look at what the major companies do to get an idea of the seriousness of it"
Well....
Not surprised at all by that , more of a media reaction, they have to play super safe, at the Apple stores that are open you have to get a temperature check and get asked a bunch of health questions just to enter and can only stay for 30 minutes. It was harder getting into the Apple store than a hospital.

legwand77

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

Rider

My (Fortune 500) company has 99% of us working from home and our public branches are still closed. We are lucky to have a business that can be mostly done online or by phone but we also see that we can't rush into things. Our leadership paused any office reopening discussion until the fall. Then they will start to talk about where we are again.

oceanbreeze77

Not surprised at all by that , more of a media reaction, they have to play super safe, at the Apple stores that are open you have to get a temperature check and get asked a bunch of health questions just to enter and can only stay for 30 minutes. It was harder getting into the Apple store than a hospital.
IF it is just a "media reaction," then why shouldn't major theme parks take the same steps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom