Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianLo

Almost assuredly there are internal discussions happening heavily right now. Presumably internal parameters are being set.

I'd hazard within 1-2 weeks (at least a week before opening) a go / no-go decision will be made to avert wasting a lot of perishables.

Frankly, I'm more and more in the camp that the opening will be deferred. That decision is perhaps already being reached.

Rider

? he is implementing large scale testing, you can even get tested at Home Depot in Florida , begging people to get tested, contact tracing , basically all your do's
See my earlier post with Johns Hopkins discussion on how the current percentage positive rate in Florida indicates not enough testing is being done.

Also the only information about contact tracing in FL is from last month and about how poorly it is going:

legwand77

See my earlier post with Johns Hopkins discussion on how the current percentage positive rate in Florida indicates not enough testing is being done.

Also the only information about contact tracing in FL is from last month and about how poorly it is going:

People are not voluntarily getting tests, they can't force them to. is not the same as having no policy to test as much as possible. Same with contact tracing.

oceanbreeze77

Almost assuredly there are internal discussions happening heavily right now. Presumably internal parameters are being set.

I'd hazard within 1-2 weeks (at least a week before opening) a go / no-go decision will be made to avert wasting a lot of perishables.

Frankly, I'm more and more in the camp that the opening will be deferred. That decision is perhaps already being reached.
maybe(hopefully) if they do it they're will be a decision by Monday?? Before reservations begin. Thats 2 weeks prior to opening.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
The negativity in the press and social media surrounding Disney reopening right now is starting.

Just take a look at twitter and news articles talking about the Florida spike.

Disney has to be paying attention...at least I hope they are.
Not Disney's fault, but as cases are climbing, it just does not seem to make sense to be opening. Things are not OK. We''ll see what happens.

Last edited:

Rider

People are not voluntarily getting tests, they can't force them to. is not the same as having no policy to test as much as possible. Same with contact tracing.

The government should be encouraging people to get tested even if they don't have symptoms and make it as easy as possible. There are still testing sites in Orange county that require you to have symptoms. And you need an appointment.

For more people to be willing to be tested we need all sites to be walk up and not require symptoms. And we need more sites. It should be as easy as possible.

I have no idea what you mean about contact tracing. Florida is thousands of tracers short of what is needed to be effective.

Seanual757

Not Disney's fault, but as cases are climbing, it just does not seem to make sense to be opening. Things are not OK. We'll see what happens.

Disney can still open safely and I believe they will still open as they are. They just need to deny guests entry if they refuse with the masks.

Things have gone good at the springs no reason why it will not be fine at the resorts next week and the parks in a few weeks.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"AMC Theatres has reversed course and will require all of its guests to wear masks when it reopens. The about-face comes after AMC chief Aram Aron ignited a deluge of criticism and controversy when he told Variety that mask-wearing would be encouraged but not mandated in states where it was not a requirement."

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Disney can still open safely and I believe they will still open as they are. They just need to deny guests entry if they refuse with the masks.

Things have gone good at the springs no reason why it will not be fine at the resorts next week and the parks in a few weeks.
Have things gone well at the Springs? Operationally yes, but record high number of cases every day this past week - and still climbing.

oceanbreeze77

"AMC Theatres has reversed course and will require all of its guests to wear masks when it reopens. The about-face comes after AMC chief Aram Aron ignited a deluge of criticism and controversy when he told Variety that mask-wearing would be encouraged but not mandated in states where it was not a requirement."

good. I won't be sitting in an indoor theater for who knows how long, but I'm glad they are adding this measure.

legwand77

Closures and lockdowns were to stop hospitals from being overrun, not to stop cases, most of these new cases are not even sick.

Just announced, twice as many hospital beds in Florida are available today than before the covid outbreak. ICU admissions are down.

oceanbreeze77

Closures and lockdowns were to stop hospitals from being overrun, not to stop cases, most of these new cases are not even sick.

Just announced, twice as many hospital beds in Florida are available today than before the covid outbreak. ICU admissions are down.
yes but the current spikes make the lockdown almost worthless. We are at the beginning of this new increase

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Good thing Covid is over and there is no way that the number could keep going up...

Florida managed to avoid being overwhelmed at first but now it's climbing the leader boards. And the population demographics of the state mean that uncontrolled community spread could rocket FL to the top.

Based on what? An increase in the cases we are seeing is going to lead to the number of deaths we saw in New York? That is quite an assumption. Even with the increase of cases, Florida (and the rest of the country) is in a much better position to handle the illness overall, whether from a testing perspective or from a health care perspective. Florida is now doing a better job with their nursing homes. This isn't April where no one knows what is going on. If we ever saw New York numbers in Florida, it would be a monumental collapse. Is any expert right now saying this is even a consideration?

Florida should be careful right now. It is important that they are keenly aware of what is occurring. But lets not get carried away with predictions just because "it could" happen.

legwand77

The government should be encouraging people to get tested even if they don't have symptoms and make it as easy as possible. There are still testing sites in Orange county that require you to have symptoms. And you need an appointment.

For more people to be willing to be tested we need all sites to be walk up and not require symptoms. And we need more sites. It should be as easy as possible.

I have no idea what you mean about contact tracing. Florida is thousands of tracers short of what is needed to be effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom