Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

durangojim

Florida's phased plan is supposed to only go forward if the "downward trend" continued. Since the trend is upward I guess we're all going to close down again. lol!
I never knew how bad Batman and Spider-Man had it until this pandemic ;) Superman had the right idea, just throw on a pair of ordinary glasses to stay anonymous and avoid the whole mask situation. :cool:
Batman is wearing his mask wrong. He’s as bad as the people who have the mask on their chin and nothing else. Lol.

carolina_yankee

Can you elaborate on this because it honestly makes zero sense to me. There are literally pictures of wall to wall people at these things so I am not sure why one is less concerning than the other

Sure. Protests happen in some locations at some times. There are those who social distance and those who don’t, those who wear masks, and those who don’t. Protests have been going on for a couple of weeks in NJ. Our numbers look good. Governor is activley encouraging people to wear masks and socially distance, and they by and large are.

There are vacation destinations where people are gathering and not wearing masks or distancing. There are states giving daily briefings where the Governor is shoulder to shoulder with aides and the state health commissioner - all unmasked - being very clear that masks will not be required and reopenings will not pause. While numbers increase. There‘s apparently a whole mask rebellion going on in L. A. if news stories are to be believed.

Pointing fingers at protesters is scapegoating and ignoring the reality that a wide swath of the nation is tired of this, doesn’t want to mask, and doesn’t want to distance - whether they are shopping, on vacation, or at a protest. That bothers me more than focusing on one piece where compliance is mixed.

I linked to a study earlier showing that near universal mask compliance can mitigate the spread of COVID with fewer other restrictions in place. The resistance to mask wearing bothers me a lot more than any specific public activity right now.

Animaniac93-98

The resistance to mask wearing bothers me a lot more than any specific public activity right now.

It's also, ironically, the easiest precaution to take.

Staying indoors all the time, stressing about whether you're 6ft away from someone, constantly washing your hands, all of that is more work than simply putting on a mask and going about your usual routine.

Chi84

Premium Member
It's also, ironically, the easiest precaution to take.

Staying indoors all the time, stressing about whether you're 6ft away from someone, constantly washing your hands, all of that is more work than simply putting on a mask and going about your usual routine.
That's true - it's the "false sense of security" aspect of mask-wearing that the experts recommending them fear most - that people will view masks as a substitute for staying home as much as possible, staying 6 feet away from others and constantly washing their hands. As with many things, the easiest thing to do is also the least effective.

Animaniac93-98

That's true - it's the "false sense of security" aspect of mask-wearing that the experts recommending them fear most - that people will view masks as a substitute for staying home as much as possible, staying 6 feet away from others and constantly washing their hands. As with many things, the easiest thing to do is also the least effective.

Saying this comes across as a dismissal to wearing masks at all.

Of course it's not the only thing you could/should do. But it's also not the terror or useless gesture so many are making it out to be.

Disstevefan1

In my opinion, if we had 100 percent compliance of face coverings, constant hand washing, temperature checks along with the sick staying home, I think the social distancing would not be needed, BUT, we do not have that, therefore we must add distancing to the mix with the thought the sum of all could reach some level of safety.

Communicora

Premium Member
In my opinion, if we had 100 percent compliance of face coverings, constant hand washing, temperature checks along with the sick staying home, I think the social distancing would not be needed, BUT, we do not have that, therefore we must add distancing to the mix with the thought the sum of all could reach some level of safety.
And if we had better PPE. I follow an infectious disease dr/epidemiologist who has been sharing studies and articles that say if everyone wore a mask to protect others and a face shield to protect themselves we'd be in the best shape.

Chi84

Premium Member
Saying this comes across as a dismissal to wearing masks at all.

Of course it's not the only thing you could/should do. But it's also not the terror or useless gesture so many are making it out to be.
I thought you saying those other measures are "more work than simply putting on a mask and going about your usual routine" was dismissive of the safety measures that experts seem to agree are more effective than mask wearing.

I'm older and have difficulty breathing in masks, despite the fact that I maintain a healthy weight and diet, exercise every day and have no other health problems. So for me, wearing a mask may not be as easy as it is for you. I've read just about every article and report on mask-wearing I could find. If there is a reliable source out there that says mask-wearing is as effective at stopping the virus as staying home as much as possible, avoiding large gatherings, staying 6 feet away from others and practicing good hand hygiene (or an adequate substitute for those measures), I haven't seen it.

You can't just "simply put on a mask and go about your usual routine." That type of thinking will lead to no end in sight for mask-wearing without doing much, if anything at all, to stop the spread of the virus.

disneygeek90

I don’t really see Disney pulling back on the re-opening plans now, but is it really responsible to plow full steam ahead with the cases of the virus continue to rise in Florida the way it has over the past 7+ days?
Today's update is rather concerning. Before anyone says it, I know I know, % of test, antibodies blah blah. But it's becoming more difficult to write off a 30% jump from an already previous record day high without recognizing that a spike appears to be happening.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I thought you saying those other measures are "more work than simply putting on a mask and going about your usual routine" was dismissive of the safety measures that experts seem to agree are more effective than mask wearing.

I'm older and have difficulty breathing in masks, despite the fact that I maintain a healthy weight and diet, exercise every day and have no other health problems. So for me, wearing a mask may not be as easy as it is for you. I've read just about every article and report on mask-wearing I could find. If there is a reliable source out there that says mask-wearing is as effective at stopping the virus as staying home as much as possible, avoiding large gatherings, staying 6 feet away from others and practicing good hand hygiene (or an adequate substitute for those measures), I haven't seen it.

You can't just "simply put on a mask and go about your usual routine." That type of thinking will lead to no end in sight for mask-wearing without doing much, if anything at all, to stop the spread of the virus.
Of course staying home and avoiding gatherings is more effective than going out and wearing a mask, but we can’t stay on lock down forever. The point of the masks and the physical distancing is to allow more people to go out and businesses to open safely. Hand washing is not enough. It would be great if we could just go back to normal and everyone just washing their hands would be enough. That’s not realistic.

Chi84

Premium Member
Of course staying home and avoiding gatherings is more effective than going out and wearing a mask, but we can’t stay on lock down forever. The point of the masks and the physical distancing is to allow more people to go out and businesses to open safely. Hand washing is not enough. It would be great if we could just go back to normal and everyone just washing their hands would be enough. That’s not realistic.
I don’t disagree with anything you said. I was replying to a post that strongly implied people could avoid the “work” of measures such as hand washing and social distancing by simply putting on a mask and going about one’s usual routine. Mask-wearing has been recommended for now in addition to the “work,” to the extent people can reasonably comply with those more effective measures. It should never be an acceptable substitute just because it’s easier to do.

Animaniac93-98

I was replying to a post that strongly implied people could avoid the “work” of measures such as hand washing and social distancing by simply putting on a mask and going about one’s usual routine.

Not what I implied at all.

I'm saying putting on a mask is easier to practice than other forms of prevention/social distancing.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I don’t disagree with anything you said. I was replying to a post that strongly implied people could avoid the “work” of measures such as hand washing and social distancing by simply putting on a mask and going about one’s usual routine. Mask-wearing has been recommended for now in addition to the “work,” to the extent people can reasonably comply with those more effective measures. It should never be an acceptable substitute just because it’s easier to do.
Agreed, we are on the same page. I haven’t seen anywhere where any public officials are suggesting masks would replace hand washing, social distancing or other measures. Hand washing is never a bad thing . The main reason for masks now is to allow people to do things where it’s not always possible or practical to ensure physical distancing. In a simple example you couldn’t realistically have a Dunkin Donuts open and ensure everyone stays 6 feet apart but if you combine physical distancing as much as possible with plexiglass dividers at the counters and customers and employees wearing masks it’s that much safer for everyone, especially the employees. You and I could be in and out in 5 mins with relatively little risk but the guy at the counter is exposed to a stream of customers for 8 hours straight. That’s where the most risk comes in.

Kevin_W

Today's update is rather concerning. Before anyone says it, I know I know, % of test, antibodies blah blah. But it's becoming more difficult to write off a 30% jump from an already previous record day high without recognizing that a spike appears to be happening.

It is concerning - for me personally it puts the thought of a quick trip to WDW after they open farther away. The risk seems less worth it.

In spite of cases increasing on some localized area's (an increased testing overall), at least it's good that the US is still trending in the same direction (slightly downward):
1592070596601.png

The death graph, while morbid, is interesting in that it continues the same trend as well. you cannot look at this graph and pinpoint state reopenings, Memorial day, protests, etc.

1592070676916.png

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It is concerning - for me personally it puts the thought of a quick trip to WDW after they open farther away. The risk seems less worth it.

In spite of cases increasing on some localized area's (an increased testing overall), at least it's good that the US is still trending in the same direction (slightly downward):
View attachment 476302

The death graph, while morbid, is interesting in that it continues the same trend as well. you cannot look at this graph and pinpoint state reopenings, Memorial day, protests, etc.

View attachment 476306
Cases (and “real” percent positive) are still declining in 60% of states including some large population centers in the Northeast. Those “good guys” are partially offset by increases in large states like CA, TX and FL. The national picture is still OK. I don’t know if we have had enough time yet to absorb the impact of Memorial Day or protests. Circle back in a few weeks.

carolina_yankee

Regarding mitigation: Masks, 6' social distancing, washing hands, minimizing duration of exposure in one setting. These are simple tools that, used together, can probably keep one fairly safe. I suspect even in an theme park environment. So the spike in cases doesn't trouble me too much in that regard.

The numbers are indeed worrisome, but they have to be taken together with spot positivity, Rt, hospital demand, and mortality. Even South Carolina, which concerns me, has anecdotal reports that COVID patients are not entering the ICUs or going on ventilators. The spike seems to be in numbers, but not resources.

My husband made it clear to me that vacation will include water and our best friends, so I can't back out of Hilton Head. He's a hospice chaplain who goes into nursing homes every day, so he's comfortable distancing and masking regardless of what anybody else is doing.

IMO, that's actually the best approach - take your precautions, don't add to the problem, and have as good at time as you can.

BrianLo

I guarantee Florida will not close down again period.

I too think there will be so much pressure to prevent it from happening. From so many levels. Even half a step backwards (reverting to an earlier phase) they won't do.

However, I think the vast majority of people, wherever they land on this spectrum, at least acknowledge New York had to be closed down. The issue becomes how long will they dig their feet in *if* a state starts to look like New York or Italy. I hope none do, but on the balance of things one likely will with the second wave.

Even more worryingly, what if it does and they still won't reverse course?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom