Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chip Chipperson

That's quite sad. Whether you agree or not, there are a lot of things to get justifiably angry about in the world. To me, whether to wear a mask to the grocery store really doesn't seem worth the effort.

I did a curbside grocery order last night and saw a guy with 2 little kids that appeared to be in the 5 to 8 years old range walking out of the store. None of the 3 had masks and it wasn't that they were pulled down after leaving the store, they just didn't have them on at all. It's still mandatory here to wear masks in stores, but some people think they're standing up for their rights or that they know better than everyone else or they just don't want to. Factor in the WHO spokesperson claiming that asymptomatic spread is rare and then backtracking and it feels like an uphill battle - especially when the first quote gets headlines around the world while the retraction is ignored by people who don't want to hear it. What was especially irritating about the guy taking his kids into the store without masks was that it's been very easy to get a grocery pickup or delivery timeslot lately, so there's no reason to not use that option if you insist that covering your mouth and nose is some unfair burden.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
18 days really isn't that long ago when you account for when the person was exposed to when they started showing symptoms, to when they felt like the symptoms warranted getting checked, to when they were able to get tested, to when the test results came back and were reported.

Or, as you claim, it's "likely" that someone went to the Lake of the Ozarks with COVID-19 (already known to be true) and managed to infect zero people. I'll trust the opinion of the experts quoted in the article.
This is just anecdotal, but an example of the timing. A relative of mine (10 year old girl) woke up feeling bad on a Tuesday. Took her temp and she had a fever. The fever broke later in the day. Same thing happened 3 days in a row where she woke up with a fever but had no other symptoms. After the 3rd day they called the pediatrician who had them bring her in. They tested her for Strep, Flu and all the usual suspects, all negative. At that point the dr said they could take her to a Covid testing site or just quarantine for 14 days. The next day (Friday) they went to the drive-thru testing site but it was closed due to thunderstorms. It’s also closed now on the weekends. So Monday they took her back and got the test. They didn’t get the results until Tuesday night. It turned out negative but the point of the story is life isn’t a text book where 7-10 days after infection people are getting immediately tested at the first sign of a symptom and finding out the results on the spot. If it had been Covid it was 8 days after the first sign of a symptom when the test results were finally in.

Now imagine a 20 year old with mild or no symptoms. If they are anything like I was at that age they aren’t likely rushing to get tested especially if they think the event they attended was justified. They don’t want to be the punch line on one of these click bait stories about people from the lake getting sick.

lilypgirl

I did a curbside grocery order last night and saw a guy with 2 little kids that appeared to be in the 5 to 8 years old range walking out of the store. None of the 3 had masks and it wasn't that they were pulled down after leaving the store, they just didn't have them on at all. It's still mandatory here to wear masks in stores, but some people think they're standing up for their rights or that they know better than everyone else or they just don't want to. Factor in the WHO spokesperson claiming that asymptomatic spread is rare and then backtracking and it feels like an uphill battle - especially when the first quote gets headlines around the world while the retraction is ignored by people who don't want to hear it. What was especially irritating about the guy taking his kids into the store without masks was that it's been very easy to get a grocery pickup or delivery timeslot lately, so there's no reason to not use that option if you insist that covering your mouth and nose is some unfair burden.
I don’t wear a mask and I am not intriguing at all! 🥴

Kevin_W

I actually have a Batman costume from the 1989 Batman movie that I wear occasionally for birthday parties etc. It is super hot hot hot. I also currently wear a cloth mask covering mouth and nostrils any time I go out in public spaces. I can honestly say wearing a mask to prevent covid-19 is much more comfortable, but not nearly as much fun.

"for birthday parties"... sure it is. With the handle BatStang2000 :)

DreamalittleDisney

this is the most recent info given to UK guests booked in for 2020

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200612-214835_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20200612-214835_Gmail.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 118
  • Screenshot_20200612-214847_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20200612-214847_Gmail.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 109

DisneyYorkian74

I don’t really see Disney pulling back on the re-opening plans now, but is it really responsible to plow full steam ahead with the cases of the virus continue to rise in Florida the way it has over the past 7+ days?

Universal, Sea World, and LEGO Land should have definitely given more than about 2 weeks of time from re-opening City Walk, to determine if it was really safe to start re-opening the parks.

Had they waited the appropriate and needed time - they might have seen what we’re seeing now that the virus is on the rise in the state.

I guess we’ll see how the case count goes over the next 2 weeks, but if case count remains this high - or gets higher - it’s something that Disney can’t just ignore.

lilypgirl

I don’t really see Disney pulling back on the re-opening plans now, but is it really responsible to plow full steam ahead with the cases of the virus continue to rise in Florida the way it has over the past 7+ days?

Universal, Sea World, and LEGO Land should have definitely given more than about 2 weeks of time from re-opening City Walk, to determine if it was really safe to start re-opening the parks.

Had they waited the appropriate and needed time - they might have seen what we’re seeing now that the virus is on the rise in the state.

I guess we’ll see how the case count goes over the next 2 weeks, but if case count remains this high - or gets higher - it’s something that Disney can’t just ignore.
What makes you think that the opening of these places is what's causing the spikes?

lilypgirl

Especially when stories like this as well as mumblings of a 2nd lock down are gradually emerging. Too early to assume we'll have to go that route, but too soon to declare the possibility off the table.
I wonder if the health officials who did not speak out against the protesting and the government officials/leaders who encouraged and/or joined in the with the protesting will be the ones trying to mandate this new stay at home order? There are tweets showing a two time failed presidential candidate 5 days apart with very different views on large gatherings. I am on the edge of my seat waiting to see what he has to say about a new lock down. ;)

carolina_yankee

Large public gatherings for any purpose are risky. Masks and social distancing need to be used. I’m less concerned about protests and more concerned about Trip Advisor user reviews at re-opened resorts in states with a rising Rt and rising percent of positivity where I had hoped to vacation stating that only a handful of guests are wearing masks. The leadership of the same state have made clear that openings will continue without mask requirements.

Masks and social distancing are the only tools we have to mitigate spread. People aren’t using those tools. I linked earlier to a report that shows that high mask compliance means fewer restrictions are needed. Yet, resistance here is high. Europe has re-opened. They are doing very well. Hong Kong, Taiwan, etc. What can we learn from that?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
What makes you think that the opening of these places is what's causing the spikes?
I think that’s the point. We can’t know. The concept behind opening slowly was to re-introduce things in a staggered manner, introduce a few things, pause and look at the impact then if good go on to the next item. This would have been done to determine what is OK and what may not be. Jumping from restaurants at 25% capacity to theme parks a few weeks later doesn’t give us that opportunity. It is what it is and there’s no way to fix that mistake. The problem is if the numbers really continue to spike they don‘t know what was the driver so it may mean an overall pull back. See the decision they are considering in Houston right now.

lilypgirl

I’m less concerned about protests and more concerned about Trip Advisor user reviews at re-opened resorts in states with a rising Rt and rising percent of positivity where I had hoped to vacation stating that only a handful of guests are wearing masks. The leadership of the same state have made clear that openings will continue without mask requirements.

Can you elaborate on this because it honestly makes zero sense to me. There are literally pictures of wall to wall people at these things so I am not sure why one is less concerning than the other

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I wonder if the health officials who did not speak out against the protesting and the government officials/leaders who encouraged and/or joined in the with the protesting will be the ones trying to mandate this new stay at home order? There are tweets showing a two time failed presidential candidate 5 days apart with very different views on large gatherings. I am on the edge of my seat waiting to see what he has to say about a new lock down. ;)
Two wrongs don’t make a right. We learned that in kindergarten. From a pandemic prospective those protests were incredibly problematic. That doesn’t mean everyone should just go do what they want now because some people chose to gather and some weren’t wearing masks or social distancing. Whether you support or oppose the cause behind the protests is irrelevant.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I mean, reopening things in general is why there’s spikes in the first place.
Exactly. We all knew there would be a spike in cases when we started to reopen. Its too bad many states didn’t stick to the plan and take it slower. Instead of political grand standing and manipulating of numbers to support decisions we might actually have real solid data that may support theories like outdoor gatherings aren’t as likely to result in mass spread. If theme parks didn’t open at the same time as so many other things it might have been more solidly supported as less of a problem. Now we will never really know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom