News Eliminating Fastpass and Extra Magic Hours - confirmed as of May 28

RSoxNo1

I don't think that is going to happen. Remember they claimed they had hundreds of millions to create the system. If they did then you can bet they aren't going to want to write it off and if they terminated it then the auditors would probably tell them they had to write down the remaining value of the investment which would now be worth nothing if they gave up on it. For that reason alone I don't think they will want to be throwing it out anytime soon. My guess is as soon as the social distancing nonsense goes away they will bring it back to haunt everyone once again like an evil spirit.
There is still infrastructure that has value. Digitize the legacy rules and you can still write down the investment (if it hasn't been fully written off already).

RSoxNo1

I used max pass in october 18 and june 19 for the first times. In disneyland Park I got in 20 rides with 7 fp's and 14 rides with 5 fp's respectively. It was a very good system. It actually helped lead to a more relaxing vacation.
You hit the nail on the head here: "a more relaxing vacation". A Disneyland trip has been substantially less stressful the last few years because of Fastpass+ and the 180 day booking window. Next Gen was a mistake, several executives that were tied to it were fired. Use this as an opportunity to move on and keep the parts that work.

RSoxNo1

Families spend days upon days at DW, I’m not sure maxpass would really do as well there. I understand for the short term why it would work (don’t see them doing it) but long term, so many people buy extra days just to get more FP and spend a just a few hours in the park eating and buying merch. Maxpass works fantastic at the land but it would be a disservice to the revenue at DW.
A non digital version worked for 15 years. Why would a digitized version struggle in WDW?

the_rich

You hit the nail on the head here: "a more relaxing vacation". A Disneyland trip has been substantially less stressful the last few years because of Fastpass+ and the 180 day booking window. Next Gen was a mistake, several executives that were tied to it were fired. Use this as an opportunity to move on and keep the parts that work.
It also helps that you can walk to the parks from your hotel and from each other. My least favorite part of a wdw vacation is the time it takes to travel around.

Delgado

A non digital version worked for 15 years. Why would a digitized version struggle in WDW?
Adding 10 dollars a day per person isn’t going to sit well with families that already think they’re paying too much. They’re better off leaving it as it is, people feel better about adding a whole park day to their already ticket and getting fastpasses with it. It’s about money not what’s feasible. Less people will buy more ticket days, and less people will pay for fastpass when they’re used to getting it free.

Jrb1979

Adding 10 dollars a day per person isn’t going to sit well with families that already think they’re paying too much. They’re better off leaving it as it is, people feel better about adding a whole park day to their already ticket and getting fastpasses with it. It’s about money not what’s feasible. Less people will buy more ticket days, and less people will pay for fastpass when they’re used to getting it free.
You make it free for guests staying on property and then it keeps the incentive to book a resort stay.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
You make it free for guests staying on property and then it keeps the incentive to book a resort stay.
They’re going to need something to keep us on-site after 12 straight stays “in the bubble”.

We have finally reached the point where the perks do not justify the price. There are many cheaper places 5-10 minutes outside the gate.

thomas998

There is still infrastructure that has value. Digitize the legacy rules and you can still write down the investment (if it hasn't been fully written off already).
I suppose they could still claim to be using the parts that track guests using the magic bands... but I don't know if they average customers would still be waddling around wearing their tracking devices if they didn't get any real use from them. I kind of thought all along the fastpass/magic band system was not so much to make it better for guests as much as it was to incentivize guests into wearing their trackers all the time so Disney could get better marketing data.

RSoxNo1

How about $10 per day if you're staying off property? Considering WDW has a larger percentage of its guests staying on property this is viable. And considering they jack up the price per day at 3-6% a year, a $10 increase is two year's worth of price increases.

Alternatively, don't charge.

RSoxNo1

I suppose they could still claim to be using the parts that track guests using the magic bands... but I don't know if they average customers would still be waddling around wearing their tracking devices if they didn't get any real use from them. I kind of thought all along the fastpass/magic band system was not so much to make it better for guests as much as it was to incentivize guests into wearing their trackers all the time so Disney could get better marketing data.
Booking your fastpasses day of vs 30-60 days out would have no bearing on the means of redeeming the Fastpass (tapping the magic band against the reader). I don't understand your point.

RSoxNo1

My favorite part of the paper fastpasses was the bonus ones you got sometimes. We got a bonus dumbo once, and didn't need it. I found a family with little kids and gave them it. Hope it made a memory for them.
While generally the "bonus" fastpasses were an attempt to spread crowds to attractions that didn't need it, one of the lost benefits of the paper system was exactly what you mentioned. Giving your own magic to a stranger in the form of Fastpasses. Back in the day you could make someone's trip with a few Toy Story Mania fastpasses.

Mainahman

While generally the "bonus" fastpasses were an attempt to spread crowds to attractions that didn't need it, one of the lost benefits of the paper system was exactly what you mentioned. Giving your own magic to a stranger in the form of Fastpasses. Back in the day you could make someone's trip with a few Toy Story Mania fastpasses.
Exactly! It was a little diy magic you could make yourself! Miss it.

coachwnh

A bit off topic here, but I haven't seen it asked anywhere. Will the ME still transport guests from MCO to Disney resorts when they open in July? Sorry of its been asked and answered.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom