News Eliminating Fastpass and Extra Magic Hours - confirmed as of May 28

disneygeek90

So, you think FP+ Is much work... wait until you need a complex printable page with all the convination of activities need to be done for having "Genie" offer you a fast pass to FoP or RoR... I can´t even imagine the ammounts of strategies that you will need to learn to get what you want in Genie, and lets not start talking about how much will an extra wish cost..
Is the Genie thing even happening anymore? I haven't heard a single thing about it since the presentation. Seems like an easy thing to eliminate these days.

jt04

I would hope those of us staying at resorts with an AP are guaranteed entry to a park every day we are resort guests.

Don't think you have to worry as long as your AP is valid. The more I have thought about it the more I am convinced APs will be going away. Except for possibly the all Disney parks option. And maybe Platinum level but even that may be gone.

Big changes seem imminent. Just a hunch.

csmat99

I’m more frustrated about the dining reservations being canceled through the end of the year. Had a great schedule in October, now I have to do it all over again in July. They at least seem to be keeping a record of who had reservations before.
You do know that not all dining will be open and the ones that will be will only have about 25% capacity because of the need to spread out and remove tables.

nickys

Premium Member
This could be the evolution of Genie.

A whole new reservation system, where you pick your park followed by ADRs and FPs (in whatever guise they return), extra “experiences - tours etc.

The next step could easily be the original Genie idea of suggested ”enhancements or wishes”, including of course the option to pay for those. To be introduced once things return to some semblance of normality. The park reservation is useful for limiting numbers, but isn’t that much different from the FP system of “first, choose your park”.

nickys

Premium Member
Conversely, I pray they do.

We used both the Paris and Anaheim Fastpass systems last year. They were like a breath of fresh air and a reminder of how fun Orlando used to be. Anaheim seems to have an almost perfect balance of the legacy system and digital Integration.

Never having been to Anaheim, I’m reliant on views of others to make a decision.

Do the Orlando parks have enough attractions to make it work?
Would they have to do anything else to make it work better, like getting rid of it from some of the rides?
And how does the sheer number of visitors in the Orlando parks affect it?

In the days before FP+ my memory of Epcot was that having arrived at 10am, the return time for Soarin was at 8pm. With two small kids, we weren’t even sure we‘d still be there 10 hours later (which we weren’t). Would that become the experience of anyone who wasn’t at the park an hour before opening? I guess that has always influenced my opinion. I love knowing I can ride A,B & C even if we decide to go for a swim first.

On the flip side, I remember on the same trip being able to ride pretty much everything we wanted at MK, albeit having to criss cross the park a lot with a stroller and me being the “runner”. Apart from the Mountains, we did most of the rest over two days.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Do the Orlando parks have enough attractions to make it work?
Would they have to do anything else to make it work better, like getting rid of it from some of the rides?
And how does the sheer number of visitors in the Orlando parks affect it?
A) the parks have overall more attractions now in Orlando than when legacy FP was last used, so yes
B) many attractions are worse for having Fastpass forced upon them. Some don’t need it, some weren’t designed for it.
C) Again, it worked with legacy FP.

Assuming management still see a form of FP as a plus for them (which they do)

But this is taking the discussion off topic I think.

the_rich

A) the parks have overall more attractions now in Orlando than when legacy FP was last used, so yes
B) many attractions are worse for having Fastpass forced upon them. Some don’t need it, some weren’t designed for it.
C) Again, it worked with legacy FP.

Assuming management still see a form of FP as a plus for them (which they do)

But this is taking the discussion off topic I think.
I used max pass in october 18 and june 19 for the first times. In disneyland Park I got in 20 rides with 7 fp's and 14 rides with 5 fp's respectively. It was a very good system. It actually helped lead to a more relaxing vacation.

lostpro9het

We used both the Paris and Anaheim Fastpass systems last year. They were like a breath of fresh air and a reminder of how fun Orlando used to be. Anaheim seems to have an almost perfect balance of the legacy system and digital Integration.
So much this! The Anaheim experience is so much more enjoyable, and fair, for guests IMO.

Delgado

Families spend days upon days at DW, I’m not sure maxpass would really do as well there. I understand for the short term why it would work (don’t see them doing it) but long term, so many people buy extra days just to get more FP and spend a just a few hours in the park eating and buying merch. Maxpass works fantastic at the land but it would be a disservice to the revenue at DW.

durangojim

Could someone sum up the main differences? I haven’t been to DL since they instituted Maxpass and I’ve never been to DLP but everyone keeps saying how great it is, I’d just like to know why. I actually enjoyed FP+ because I didn’t have to run around to get FPs any more but I understand why many didn’t.

the_rich

Could someone sum up the main differences? I haven’t been to DL since they instituted Maxpass and I’ve never been to DLP but everyone keeps saying how great it is, I’d just like to know why. I actually enjoyed FP+ because I didn’t have to run around to get FPs any more but I understand why many didn’t.
With max pass you get ur first one when u enter the park. Then it tells you when you can get ur next one. Its either after a set amount of time(30-90 mins) or after you use the fp u already have.

Touchdown

I love Maxpass, most days (even when it’s a 9pm close) I can Fastpass every ride I want in both parks (10-15 rides) it rewards rope drop people and people who know the order to pull them (Matterhorn, Space and Indy first at DL, RSR, TSMM and GotG at DCA.)

And to respond to the person who mentioned dining restrictions of course I realize capacity will be decreased.

durangojim

With max pass you get ur first one when u enter the park. Then it tells you when you can get ur next one. Its either after a set amount of time(30-90 mins) or after you use the fp u already have.
Thank you. So just like the old paper FP system, but you can't hoard them and use them after the time expires. (those were the good old days in my opinion)

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Original Poster
I remember the fun and thrill of rushing at the gate to get to our favorite attraction to get our paper Fastpass. After we got our time slot, we stopped worrying about fastpasses and only got them if we were walking by an attraction and they were available.

Plus, if you ended up not using one for whatever reason, they made cool souvenirs, with the date and time on em..

the_rich

Thank you. So just like the old paper FP system, but you can't hoard them and use them after the time expires. (those were the good old days in my opinion)
Yea they're on the app. You can have multiple fps at one time depending on the return times. For example u can have a 9pm fp for rsr and an 8pm fp for soarin while still getting more fp throughout the day. They are a little flexible if you return a little later than the scheduled time.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yea they're on the app. You can have multiple fps at one time depending on the return times. For example u can have a 9pm fp for rsr and an 8pm fp for soarin while still getting more fp throughout the day. They are a little flexible if you return a little later than the scheduled time.
Indeed. We ended up with these all at once, all valid

B372A13F-A868-492C-8400-0A4729D74A4A.jpeg

And in Paris, using the legacy system, could still do this

51A083EA-AFEC-4F34-B60E-63425EA028AD.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom