The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

John park hopper

Now you know why they have invested so much in their train systems, which are top notch, and do a lot less highway concerns then we do. My last trip to Europe was at least 1/3rd train travel and I loved it. It was treated like an airport and airplanes except that it was a lot more comfortable in the train car and didn't have any turbulence to deal with. However, as my Grandmother once said... Hey, those trees go by fast, fast. I have fond memories of the old girl, but it was her sense of humor that pulled me in.
The fact that most European countries are the size of our States makes it cost effective to have public transportation. I took Amtrak from Charleston to West Palm Beach FL one time and what a nightmare the restrooms on the train were filthy, seats were uncomfortable never do it again

21stamps

I’m going to sort my photos later., I want to do a separate trip report so I can document what it was like to take a road trip during social distancing, and our fun adventures.

Do I make a thread in Chit Chat? Is that where non-disney trip reports go?

MySmallWorldof4

Eye of the beholder. Have you ever really listened to Janis singing "Bobbie McGee"? The emotion, the soul in that voice is not even comparable to any other artist. Not everything she did connected with me, anymore then the Doors or even The Beatles. Revolution #9 being a prime example of nothing is perfect. However, the general body of work throughout that decade has yet to be equaled. Broadway Shows are not part of the discussion. They are not general public music anymore then Disney Animation music is. Lady Gaga has a beautiful voice but if what she is performing is so great what is the meat dress all about. Jonas Bros. Nope! Kelly Clarkson. Nope! What I am saying is that the comparative quantity of good vs. bad in the 60's has now reversed to comparative quantity of bad vs. good. The table has absolutely taken a 180 degree turn in my opinion. But, like I said, every generation has their own genre and tastes in music and never the train shall meet. If you want to include Broadway/ Disney, how about J.C. Superstar or Hair or The Sound of Music or Mary Poppins?
Lady Gaga and the meat dress was really creepy, no matter what anyone says. Don't like the new millenium music much. I try and to me it all sounds the same. Not talking Broadway or Disney music. I do like "Can't Stop the Feeling", by Justin Timberlake though. Still prefer 80's the most. Downloaded a couple of Ambrosia Songs the other day. Getting my 9 year old into them. :hilarious:

Does anyone remember "The Hooters" (music group)? They are out of Philly. Best songs "And We Danced" and "Day by Day".

Figgy1

Premium Member
Eye of the beholder. Have you ever really listened to Janis singing "Bobbie McGee"? The emotion, the soul in that voice is not even comparable to any other artist. Not everything she did connected with me, anymore then the Doors or even The Beatles. Revolution #9 being a prime example of nothing is perfect. However, the general body of work throughout that decade has yet to be equaled. Broadway Shows are not part of the discussion. They are not general public music anymore then Disney Animation music is. Lady Gaga has a beautiful voice but if what she is performing is so great what is the meat dress all about. Jonas Bros. Nope! Kelly Clarkson. Nope! What I am saying is that the comparative quantity of good vs. bad in the 60's has now reversed to comparative quantity of bad vs. good. The table has absolutely taken a 180 degree turn in my opinion. But, like I said, every generation has their own genre and tastes in music and never the train shall meet. If you want to include Broadway/ Disney, how about J.C. Superstar or Hair or The Sound of Music or Mary Poppins?
Jonas Bros.=Chris Pine;)

Goofyernmost

The fact that most European countries are the size of our States makes it cost effective to have public transportation. I took Amtrak from Charleston to West Palm Beach FL one time and what a nightmare the restrooms on the train were filthy, seats were uncomfortable never do it again
I sadly know about the state of the rail system in this country, but, that doesn't mean that it is that way in Europe and it covers just about all of Europe not just one country in Europe. That, by the way, could be said like this... Not just one state in Europe. There it is fast, clean and the terminals look a lot like the airport terminals here. The train cars are clean, the restrooms are clean and it is a comfortable and fun ride.

We don't want it. We want cars and until fuel prices get to the $6 or $7 mark there is no incentive to create a strong rail setup. In Europe when you combine air travel with train travel, it is a very pleasant experience. Here Airline travel is a nightmare and train travel is worse. And we keep thinking we are advanced over foreign locations. It, of course, is not a problem right now, but, we will eventually run out of those fossil fuels. Not in our lifetimes, but in our great grandchildren and beyond. Unfortunately, we are a society that is hell bent on making a lot of money today and the hell with tomorrow. That is someone else's problem. We apparently don't care about the future.

Last edited:

StarWarsGirl

I have a fairly eclectic taste in music, as in I'll go from listening to Jonas Brothers one minute to Aerosmith or Queen the next. But most stuff from the sixties just didn't appeal. Janis Joplin had incredible vocal damage from her drug use; she's very hard to listen to. The Doors songs weren't very appealing for me either; musically they're repetitive without a lot of variance (Riders on the Storm being a prime example). Beetles...you get a pass there. Twist and Shout is my ringtone. Except for Yellow Submarine. I haven't forgiven them for that song.

I'd say if you want to talk about the peak of popular music, it came more in the 70s and 80s. Queen's music had such incredible harmonies, and musically it was complex (especially Bohemian Rhapsody). Aerosmith also had great harmonies. Sweet Emotion where they basically slide from one note to another in harmony... that's pretty amazing.

My inclusion of the musicals was based on your assertion that there was absolutely no good music to come in this century. Even if the popular music isn't as great, the movie musical has returned, and two of the best musicals (Hamilton and Wicked) were written in this century. Not that Sound of Music and all the other Roger's and Hammerstein's stuff wasn't great; it was (although Roger's and Hammerstein began in the 50s and continued into the 60s), just illustrating a point. There are other artists who come to mind now from this century who I didn't think of last night as well...Beyonce, Shakira, Ed Sheeran, Bruno Mars...but yeah, I don't think it's good to write off entire decades just because some of the music was not good. The same can be said of any time period.

Although I did walk downstairs and my brother was playing something on the Echo...and now if someone older we're listening to that and concluded new music is nothing but noise, based on that sample, I'd be forced to agree.

Lilofan

I have a fairly eclectic taste in music, as in I'll go from listening to Jonas Brothers one minute to Aerosmith or Queen the next. But most stuff from the sixties just didn't appeal. Janis Joplin had incredible vocal damage from her drug use; she's very hard to listen to. The Doors songs weren't very appealing for me either; musically they're repetitive without a lot of variance (Riders on the Storm being a prime example). Beetles...you get a pass there. Twist and Shout is my ringtone. Except for Yellow Submarine. I haven't forgiven them for that song.

I'd say if you want to talk about the peak of popular music, it came more in the 70s and 80s. Queen's music had such incredible harmonies, and musically it was complex (especially Bohemian Rhapsody). Aerosmith also had great harmonies. Sweet Emotion where they basically slide from one note to another in harmony... that's pretty amazing.

My inclusion of the musicals was based on your assertion that there was absolutely no good music to come in this century. Even if the popular music isn't as great, the movie musical has returned, and two of the best musicals (Hamilton and Wicked) were written in this century. Not that Sound of Music and all the other Roger's and Hammerstein's stuff wasn't great; it was (although Roger's and Hammerstein began in the 50s and continued into the 60s), just illustrating a point. There are other artists who come to mind now from this century who I didn't think of last night as well...Beyonce, Shakira, Ed Sheeran, Bruno Mars...but yeah, I don't think it's good to write off entire decades just because some of the music was not good. The same can be said of any time period.

Although I did walk downstairs and my brother was playing something on the Echo...and now if someone older we're listening to that and concluded new music is nothing but noise, based on that sample, I'd be forced to agree.
Janis Joplin was teased and bullied in high school and college. She was even named Ugliest Man on Campus. She dulled her depression with booze and drugs. But the raspy pain filled voice probably fueled by her constant vices was legendary to my ears. She was a regular smack user but the stuff she bought the week of her death was so potent, it killed her. Gone too soon at age 27.

21stamps

I just heard that some states are allowing baseball, soccer, lacrosse, dance, etc to start again soon. Has anyone heard that in your state???

I think that’s a huge problem if true. What’s going to happen to the teams/kids who aren’t allowed to play??
This could have an impact on national rankings, league placements, college scholarships, etc etc.
I hope it isn’t true.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom