News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

doctornick

Oh I hadn’t thought about that... it would be an excellent fit! I wish so much that we could have Adventurers Club (a family friendly version) at DAK. You know Joe has tried to sneak it in there!

I have never ridden, but I think Mystic Manor has an exploration vibe that fits like a natural fit with DAK. I know many would argue that it doesn't have anything to do with animals or nature and thus would wreck the theme of the park but I tend to think that not every attraction needs to correspond so closely as long as the individual lands/environments work in harmony. And MM does have a monkey!

Plus DAK really could use an indoor more sedate family attraction. NRJ fills that niche but is lacking in quality.

Would Mystic Manor fit on the land that Kali winds around?

I feel like the best space would be in between Kali and Everest - there's some space there (there's a cast break room that would need to be moved) and could set it back in its own environment a bit.

peter11435

I have never ridden, but I think Mystic Manor has an exploration vibe that fits like a natural fit with DAK. I know many would argue that it doesn't have anything to do with animals or nature and thus would wreck the theme of the park but I tend to think that not every attraction needs to correspond so closely as long as the individual lands/environments work in harmony. And MM does have a monkey!

Plus DAK really could use an indoor more sedate family attraction. NRJ fills that niche but is lacking in quality.

I feel like the best space would be in between Kali and Everest - there's some space there (there's a cast break room that would need to be moved) and could set it back in its own environment a bit.
Unless you’re talking outside the perimeter road I don’t see where this is enough room between Everest and kali.

Touchdown

I think Mystic Manor would fit in thematically at AK as part of Discovery Island, problem is there is no room there. Where there is though is on the outskirts of Africa past FotLK on the way to Pandora. Get rid of that parking lot, and I bet it could fit there. A Victorian Colonial Home still fits with Africa, and it’s on the outskirts so it can kind of it be it’s own mini land too.

Last edited:

WDW Guru

I think Mystic Manor would fit in thematically at AK as part of Discovery Island, problem is there is no room there. Where there is too is on the outskirts of Africa past FotLK on the way to Pandora. Get rid of that parking lot, and I bet it could fit there. A Victorian Colonial Home still fits with Africa, and it’s on the outskirts so it can kind of it be it’s own mini land too.

How does a ride about a magical music box that brings inanimate objects to life fit in DAK?

SilentWindODoom

Huh... I suppose I just have a few people deriding the screen-based nature and similar critiques of its scale to what Mermaid got when it opened. Then again, I think a lot of that has calmed down from the initial fury.

As for Mystic Manor... it can be redone to fit, but a 1:1 match doesn't seem to fit at all. Save for the monkey and some of the artifacts being animal-related, it completely... Oh. Oh dear. Someone else commented while I was writing this and pretty much said it. XD

But it can definitely be redone. The question is if they want to invest in the less cost-effective move of adaptation.

As for space, is it possible to half the size by including a lift akin to Rise? I don't know how big the show building is, although there's got to be a number of places where the water is no longer really visible.

Touchdown

How does a ride about a magical music box that brings inanimate objects to life fit in DAK?

1. It stars an animal
2. It’s about Discovery

You know, the same way FN:TM fits. It’s not a perfect fit, but I think it fits the best there compared to anyplace else (but only because the Adventureland expansion site is off Caribbean Plaza, if it was off the main square it would fit best there but that would require taking out the Jungle Cruise.)

doctornick

I think people are sometimes far too rigid on being "in theme" for these parks. It's funny because I'm one of those who will argue to the end of time that Zootopia has no place in DAK but I think Mystic Manor is a solid fit. Why?

Not every attraction has to slavishly relate to the main theme of the park. DAK is about animals and nature and man's interaction with them. And the park does a fantastic job relating to that. But it also is about discovery and man's sense of adventure and that is where Mystic Manor fits in. The ride really draws on man's desire to want to explore and experience - and sadly often plunder - the different places of this planet. Furthermore, while I think each land needs to have at its core the mission of the park as a whole, it is more important for individual attraction to be harmonious with each land's theme and story.

So, yes, I would argue that a Mystic Manor that is properly incorporated into Asia (or Africa, could work there too) would be a great addition and reasonable with the park and land's environments.

Plus there's a monkey. 🤪

(I know I'm continuing dragging this thread off topic, but it's so much more interesting and fun than talking about COVID-19 or how Kathleen Kennedy has killed Star Wars for the millionth time...)

SilentWindODoom

How to destroy forced perspective in one fell swoop.

Everyone dunked on this, and I first saw the message this morning. I've had it rattling in my head for a while and thinking of it now... I don't know.

I'd never thought of Space Mountain in terms of forced perspective. I suppose I took it at face value as a conical structure with the ribs coming together naturally making it appear as it does and the spires being at the size that wouldn't look goofy. It's big. I don't think it as fake big. I think of it as big. Perhaps it's a matter of it not trying to look like anything. It's its own thing.

But in terms of ruining the effect, the building looks like a giant box. I don't see any windows or doors and the HVAC has been hidden by a parapet. Instead, it looks like a big box. There's nothing much to establish scale. When I look at the Soarin' building, I don't find that the Hotel du Canada looks smaller. I find that the building looks friggin' huge.

But that doesn't really matter because the show building is set back so that from looking through the pictures and street view it appears that the only time it will be visible is on the turn the bus makes into the bus stop and the express monorail coming in. That's most guests, but it's still an off-stage moment.

On-stage and from around the rest of Seven Seas Lagoon, it appears the backward position of the building will cause it to be hidden by Space Mountain itself. What you will see instead is a large white canopy which is scaleless. There's not really a good comparison that will cause its size to be judged by anything but what you feel. It will be like a large white mountain range behind Space Mountain. The only scale marker I see is the Tron sign that was visible in early art. Will it be there, or will it be placed on the ground instead? That remains to be seen.

The biggest problem is the fairgrounds sightlines. I was shocked looking at street view pictures from inside the park how well Space Mountain is hidden. Tron, on the other hand. It's going to be hard to not notice that.

doctornick

I would love to see a family friendly DAK dark ride of non-Dinosaur extinct animals.

Or even one of Dinosaurs really. It would be cool if they had as part of the Dino Institute that they have a "zoo" of dinos that they are rehabilitating in the present that they brought back from the past. A more sedate ride where you could really see and enjoy the animals (AAs).

But sure also other extinct animals would be good too.

Last edited:

solidyne

It will be like a large white mountain range behind Space Mountain.
I've heard of glass-half-full, but this? Well done! 👏

Sorry for the sarcasm. I understand your point about an abstract shape having no point of reference for scale, but it's the flat-out size, not the specific scale ratio (if that makes sense). Now if they could theme it to mountains...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom