What's Still On and What's Now Off

natatomic

Honestly at this point I dont know what anyone is trying to prove. I’m just stating that just about every group that goes to Disney, at least one person is going to have a cell phone.

When I worked at WDW last spring, there was not one person who said “I dont have the MDE app on my phone.” Just saying.

I don’t think anyone is saying smart phone users are the minority. But I don’t think 100% of guests have them either. A large majority, sure. But some older people and international guests may not.

WDW Pro

Original Poster
youre 37. Not 60. Age doesn’t mean anything. I currently have a temporary summer job at Walmart due to COVID shutting down the family business, and I wouldn’t take advice from ANYbody here no matter how old they are.

Glad to hear you're doing well with that not taking advice from anybody thought process. I'm sure it will serve you well. I would advise you not to expect ages to be accurate for people hiding their identities, but, well, we know you'd probably ignore that one ;)

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Glad to hear you're doing well with that not taking advice from anybody thought process. I'm sure it will serve you well. I would advise you not to expect ages to be accurate for people hiding their identities, but, well, we know you'd probably ignore that one ;)
I take advise from people who matter. This conversation is completely irrelevant to the original topic.

pdude81

Honestly at this point I dont know what anyone is trying to prove. I’m just stating that just about every group that goes to Disney, at least one person is going to have a cell phone.

When I worked at WDW last spring, there was not one person who said “I dont have the MDE app on my phone.” Just saying.

Not trying to prove anything. I'm just observing that you keep fighting on this cell phone battle until you either win or the other side just gives up. Whether or not people utter the phrase you mention is kind of a red herring. If everybody had the MDE app, cell service was infallible, and it was easy for the uninitiated, then they wouldn't need those pesky FP+ kiosks in every park.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Not trying to prove anything. I'm just observing that you keep fighting on this cell phone battle until you either win or the other side just gives up. Whether or not people utter the phrase you mention is kind of a red herring. If everybody had the MDE app, cell service was infallible, and it was easy for the uninitiated, then they wouldn't need those pesky FP+ kiosks in every park.
I hardly ever see too many people using the kiosk except for the folks who just didn’t know about the app.

I remember when there WAS a time there would be a line for those kiosks though. Now, however, there’s not much demand for their use. Especially with the MDE personal helper people standing around now.

Comparison between now and then pics would be helpful. I remember a line stretching out for ages for a kiosk at Epcot. But a few years later they’re just kinda there.

UNCgolf

This is only tangentially related to the current discussion, but I think the generational shorthands (Baby Boomers, Millenials, etc.) are incredibly stupid and pointless.

Someone born in 1947 and someone born in 1963 are both considered Baby Boomers, but those people's childhoods/adolescence were not remotely similar. The former was in high school in the mid-1960s; the latter was in high school in the late 1970s and early 1980s. They have nothing in common. The same is true of Millenials -- a person born in 1982 and a person born in 1995 grew up in completely different worlds.

FigmentsFangirl

So the stuff like Remy and TRON and Guardians are still going to continue to be worked on to open, but other stuff on the list are shelved/delayed/cancelled ? Do we have an updated list yet ?

WEDway Inc & Company LLC

It's impossible to guess exactly what has been cut, but if Galaxy's Edge cost approximately $1 billion, we can get a very rough estimate of how much may be cancelled. For instance, $1 billion dollars wouldn't even buy the entire Walt Disney Studios Park in Paris' Massive expansion with Alien Swirling Saucers, a small Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge with one ride, Avengers Campus, and Arendelle: The Kingdom of Frozen. This makes me wonder what is actually being cancelled, and rather just been postponed.

Here's some costs to keep things relevant (Adjusted for Inflation):
  • Star Wars : Galaxy's Edge cost $1 Billion to build. This encompassed two completely new ride systems, and lots of themeing, shopping, and dining.
  • Ratatouille's Adventure at Walt Disney Studios Park cost almost $200,000 to build. This was a new ride, with new technology, and potentially includes a restaurant. I'd imagine this price is similar to how much EPCOT's version costs.
  • Expedition Everest, opened in 2006, cost about $125,000,000 to build, featuring a new ride with heavy theming, and was, at the time, the most expensive roller coaster ever built.
  • Radiator Springs Racers cost $200 million to build, featuring a slot car ride system.
  • Mission:Space cost roughly $140 million to build.
  • Pooh's Hunny Hunt at Tokyo Disneyland cost almost $200 million to build.
  • The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror cost roughly $200 million to build.
  • The recent expansion of Hong Kong Disneyland, including Mystic Manor, Big Grizzly Runaway Mine Cars, and a couple of Toy Story flat rides is estimated to cost $500 million to build.

peter11435

It's impossible to guess exactly what has been cut, but if Galaxy's Edge cost approximately $1 billion, we can get a very rough estimate of how much may be cancelled. For instance, $1 billion dollars wouldn't even buy the entire Walt Disney Studios Park in Paris' Massive expansion with Alien Swirling Saucers, a small Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge with one ride, Avengers Campus, and Arendelle: The Kingdom of Frozen. This makes me wonder what is actually being cancelled, and rather just been postponed.

Here's some costs to keep things relevant (Adjusted for Inflation):
  • Star Wars : Galaxy's Edge cost $1 Billion to build. This encompassed two completely new ride systems, and lots of themeing, shopping, and dining.
  • Ratatouille's Adventure at Walt Disney Studios Park cost almost $200,000 to build. This was a new ride, with new technology, and potentially includes a restaurant. I'd imagine this price is similar to how much EPCOT's version costs.
  • Expedition Everest, opened in 2006, cost about $125,000,000 to build, featuring a new ride with heavy theming, and was, at the time, the most expensive roller coaster ever built.
  • Radiator Springs Racers cost $200 million to build, featuring a slot car ride system.
  • Mission:Space cost roughly $140 million to build.
  • Pooh's Hunny Hunt at Tokyo Disneyland cost almost $200 million to build.
  • The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror cost roughly $200 million to build.
  • The recent expansion of Hong Kong Disneyland, including Mystic Manor, Big Grizzly Runaway Mine Cars, and a couple of Toy Story flat rides is estimated to cost $500 million to build.
Some of your numbers are a little off

It’s important to remember that this statement did not mean that $900 million in projects were cut. It means that $900 million will be saved this fiscal year due to construction halts and project stoppage. The total value of projects that might be cut could be far higher than simply the $900 million saved over the rest of this fiscal year. Additionally it is possible (although highly unlikely) that all projects could continue as planned just delayed, moving their CAPEX into future fiscal years.

WEDway Inc & Company LLC

Some of your numbers are a little off

It’s important to remember that this statement did not mean that $900 million in projects were cut. It means that $900 million will be saved this fiscal year due to construction halts and project stoppage. The total value of projects that might be cut could be far higher than simply the $900 million saved over the rest of this fiscal year. Additionally it is possible (although highly unlikely) that all projects could continue as planned just delayed, moving their CAPEX into future fiscal years.

fair point, thanks for telling me. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

doctornick

Hopefully, any cuts gets spread among all the resorts and doesn't just get shouldered mostly by WDW. During the lean years of Iger's first decade, WDW was virtually ignored while all the other resorts got shiny new toys.

If they want to "save money" on WDW projects, I hope they focus on not building Reflections and on scaling back the SSE changes to simply a high quality refurb. And Poppins since that seems like it is cut anyway.

Also, I wonder if this will delay the new ship production planned for the cruise line.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Hopefully, any cuts gets spread among all the resorts and doesn't just get shouldered mostly by WDW. During the lean years of Iger's first decade, WDW was virtually ignored while all the other resorts got shiny new toys.

If they want to "save money" on WDW projects, I hope they focus on not building Reflections and on scaling back the SSE changes to simply a high quality refurb. And Poppins since that seems like it is cut anyway.

Also, I wonder if this will delay the new ship production planned for the cruise line.

reflections construction is still going on. Since it is dvc it will have return on investment so I don’t see this project stopping.

SSE and Poppins I see off the table for now
If on SSE they could just add an ending (something to look at, light show or something) on the descent and maybe redo the cartoons with your pictures that would be a cheap but welcome add for now.

WDW Pro

Original Poster
reflections construction is still going on. Since it is dvc it will have return on investment so I don’t see this project stopping.

SSE and Poppins I see off the table for now
If on SSE they could just add an ending (something to look at, light show or something) on the descent and maybe redo the cartoons with your pictures that would be a cheap but welcome add for now.

Apparently the construction company hired for Reflections is holding Disney to their contract. I think it's Balfour Beatty, and it's something I should dig into a bit. Disney wants to hold all new construction, that site isn't vertical... I'll see what I can find out. If anyone else has info, feel free to share.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom