Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Disney has, by far, the most lenient attendance policy I’ve ever experienced in all my working years.

I would say it's binary and structured with almost zero flexibility. Maybe you inter change the amount of points you can accumulate with 'lenient' -- I would say a boss that listens to your situation and interprets things is 'leniency'. Being 1 minute late to clock in automatically penalizing you I wouldn't call 'lenient'.

Yes you aren't going to get fired for not showing up two days.. but the machine has little room for interpretation.

peter11435

I would say it's binary and structured with almost zero flexibility. Maybe you inter change the amount of points you can accumulate with 'lenient' -- I would say a boss that listens to your situation and interprets things is 'leniency'. Being 1 minute late to clock in automatically penalizing you I wouldn't call 'lenient'.

Yes you aren't going to get fired for not showing up two days.. but the machine has little room for interpretation.
Managers can listen to your situation and have the power, can, and do sometimes override any penalty for someone being 1 minute late. Obviously this is situational but it can be done. Regardless you can be late an awful lot before it has any consequence.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Given the current situation, when WDW re-opens I’m sure they will not be penalizing CMs for staying home when they are sick. The opposite will probably be true. Assuming they require temperature checks, if you have a fever when you arrive you will get sent home. All of the federal, state and local guidelines say employers should encourage workers to stay home if they don’t feel well. At least for the immediate future I’m sure that will be the case.

peter11435

One would think a serious accident on I-4 would impact many going to be late to work and leniency would be considered.
And in many cases situations like that often lead to leniency either across the board to those impacted or situationally at individual leaders discretion.

TrainsOfDisney

Given the current situation, when WDW re-opens I’m sure they will not be penalizing CMs for staying home when they are sick. The opposite will probably be true. Assuming they require temperature checks, if you have a fever when you arrive you will get sent home. All of the federal, state and local guidelines say employers should encourage workers to stay home if they don’t feel well. At least for the immediate future I’m sure that will be the case.

This will require a change in how employees are scheduled in all industries. It’s considered “good business” to schedule the bare minnimum employees needed to operate a business. But if you start to mandate temperature checks, you will need to schedule extra employees because you’ll be sending people home now and then.

natatomic

One would think a serious accident on I-4 would impact many going to be late to work and leniency would be considered.

Managers were often lenient with those late by a minute or two or if there was bad traffic that caused the delay. Not all were, of course, but there are so many points you are allotted, it’s HARD to be fired for attendance or tardiness. And those that are fired for those reasons, I have no pity for.
You can call up to 5 days in a row, without needed a dr note, and it only counts as 1 point. 3 points in 3 days gets a reprimand. You can literally call out 15 days in a single month, and it’s still only a slap on the wrist. Being late is half a point, but you can still be late 5 times in a month without getting a reprimand. And it’s 6 points in 60 days, 9 points in...gosh, 90 days? 180 days? Something like that. And 12 points in a year. All of those would lead up to a single reprimand.
But again, a reprimand is still just a slap on the wrist. It only hurts you if you’re trying to move around/up in the company, and even then you’re allowed 1 reprimand before it affects your ability to move, and that reprimand falls off after a year.
On top of that, if you don’t get a reprimand during the year, they give you six call sick Fridays. That means you get six days that you can call out for and you get ZERO points. 6 free days! No punishment! After those three days are gone, that’s when your points start to accrue (aside from late points).
Honest to God, if you know how to game the system, you can easily call out 2 months’ worth of days of the year and not even get a reprimand.
I’ve NEVER worked for a company with so much leniency.

lazyboy97o

This will require a change in how employees are scheduled in all industries. It’s considered “good business” to schedule the bare minnimum employees needed to operate a business. But if you start to mandate temperature checks, you will need to schedule extra employees because you’ll be sending people home now and then.
There’s also the question of whether or not these mandatory checks are on the clock or off the clock.

Kevin_W

For those that missed the action on "The Ocho" earlier today. Hafthor Bjornsson ("The Mountain" from GoT) broke the world deadlift record. What a day for sports. The Ocho did not dissapoint.

I'm getting ready for Dodge Juggle coming up soon. You're not going to want to miss that. For those not familiar with the sport:

That might have been the best thing I've seen today. :)

DisneyDebRob

For those that missed the action on "The Ocho" earlier today. Hafthor Bjornsson ("The Mountain" from GoT) broke the world deadlift record. What a day for sports. The Ocho did not dissapoint.

I'm getting ready for Dodge Juggle coming up soon. You're not going to want to miss that. For those not familiar with the sport:

And people would kill me for liking curling and looking forward to the Winter Olympics! All kidding aside though, I will watch this.🙂 Channel? Wow I’m bored.

The droplets rebuttal is a bit silly, IMO. If droplets are as dangerous as people (not saying you specifically) claim, then they would have advised us to start wearing masks decades ago.

And please know that I'm not trying to be argumentative. I just feel that a cloth mask can't be that affective when a person sneezes at 70 mph. More than enough germs are gonna break right through that fabric to cause a problem.

I'm taking about the cheap fabric masks I see with random college or NFL team logos on them. Not the actual medical grade masks. If those cheap masks did anything at all, I'm sure we would see a/c filters with Notre Dame or NY Yankee logos on them. 3M would be all over it.
After this Pandemic passes I won't be the least bit surprised by the Yankee's branded 3M n95 masks for sale at the ball park.

HongKongFooy

Just came back from Lowe's.......people be takkin dum!

I'm pushing one of those heavy duty lumber carts to the register checkout line and standing on my designated 6' spot (like the 3 year old at ballet lessons standing on her "star"). I'm 3rd in line for the register for building materials(large sized purchases)

I had 10' lumber on the cart and the end of the lumber was very near the customer in front of me who was on his 6' mark. Nuckelhead in front on me started in with "your cart is too close to me and your wood is too close; you ever hear of the 6' feet rule ?!? We're in a pandemic, remember??!!"
Decorum on this site won't allow for me to say how I verbally jumped all over him. Those behind me cheered and simpleton got out of line and presumably went to another register at the far end of store.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Just came back from Lowe's.......people be takkin dum!

I'm pushing one of those heavy duty lumber carts to the register checkout line and standing on my designated 6' spot (like the 3 year old at ballet lessons standing on her "star"). I'm 3rd in line for the register for building materials(large sized purchases)

I had 10' lumber on the cart and the end of the lumber was very near the customer in front of me who was on his 6' mark. Nuckelhead in front on me started in with "your cart is too close to me and your wood is too close; you ever hear of the 6' feet rule ?!? We're in a pandemic, remember??!!"
Decorum on this site won't allow for me to say how I verbally jumped all over him. Those behind me cheered and simpleton got out of line and presumably went to another register at the far end of store.
There‘s no conclusive evidence that suggests this virus is transmittable by wood...thats a totally different virus ;););)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
There’s also the question of whether or not these mandatory checks are on the clock or off the clock.
I have no actual say but if I were king of the world for a day and the checks are mandated by the employer I’d rule they should be on the clock. Didn’t Amazon have an issue a while back with employees being forced to go through metal detectors and a security check after their shift to ensure they didn’t bring anything home with them? I think they were making them clock out first before waiting for the check which sometimes took 20-30 mins if the line got long. It went all the way to the Supreme Court and they ruled in favor of Amazon hat they didn’t need to be paid. Florida state law may actually be more important in this case if there’s a precedent locally. Disney could also just do the right thing and pay them.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Upshot from Mayor's and Task Force press conference:

Mayor’s decisions that differ from or expand on Florida State (Governor)
  • Curfew continues for one more week.
  • Permits from local jurisdictions are still required to start or add to outdoor dining.
    • [I wonder if Reedy Creek would give Disney Springs restaurants a hard time about this? ;) ]
  • The county will continue to limit assemblies to 10 or less (even for religious services)
  • The Task Force and mayor wants hygiene services [barbary] to open, so, a letter is being sent to the governor to allow it.
  • Local jurisdictions (towns) determine whether green parks are open.
  • Full Executive Order based on Task Force recommendation to come out within a day

Task Force guidelines for businesses reopening
  • maintain social distancing
  • masks for employees
  • wash hands frequently
  • screen employees
  • temperature screen for staff (over 100 degrees F, go home)
  • stay home when sick
  • hi risk employees should stay home / work from home

TF looked at supply chain and acquiring PPE and processes for safety

TF tourism group was just marketing garbage speak (“rebrand our tourism industry” blech)

TF recommendations on compliance
  • got to educate businesses on compliance
  • compliance is required, but want a way to certify and identify those who do comply
  • need to establish procedure to report businesses that aren’t complying

Question to mayor about Theme Parks
  • likely to open in phases
  • some units within the parks might open now in Phase I
  • seems to indicate that theme parks will do their own thing when they want while staying within Executive Orders

Here's the updated chart with the Orange County order...

1588453825511.png

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Here's the updated chart with the Orange County order...

View attachment 467856

I think obviously the important one for Disney is moving from Phase 2 to Phase 3. I'd be curious to see what the expected time frame of moving into Phase 3 looks like from a Disney perspective. I'd have to think with no major re-occurrences, maybe Thanksgiving/Christmas time (with an outside shot at Halloween/Mid October - and a very best case scenario of Labor Day).

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think obviously the important one for Disney is moving from Phase 2 to Phase 3. I'd be curious to see what the expected time frame of moving into Phase 3 looks like from a Disney perspective. I'd have to think with no major re-occurrences, maybe Thanksgiving/Christmas time (with an outside shot at Halloween/Mid October - and a very best case scenario of Labor Day).
I think a lot of people are thinking that transition from phase 2 to 3 happens by June 1. I think the truth lies somewhere between 6/1 and Thanksgiving, but I‘m not even going to venture a guess at this point. Gotta at least see how phase 1 goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom