Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilofan

I would be scared to death on that island at night... who knows what else is living there.

Also... it’s a Florida swamp... not exactly a tropical paradise but more power to him! Ha
The guy tried to self isolate from people but probably shared the island with the local Florida wildlife🐍🐍🐊🐊

Monorail_Red_77

The back side of that lake has some non-Disney private property so maybe he got a boat in there somewhere. There are definitely gators in those waters and with no tourists around to feed them they are likely starving ;)

yes all those lakes and swamp areas are full of gators and water moccasins. I would not venture out there. Bay Lake where this is at is fully contained within Disney Property. The lake you are thinking of that is partly owned by Disney is to the north east, Lake Mabel. Disney owns the souther section of that lake. To get to Discovery Island they have to get onto Disney Property, no way around that. I would guess the guy used a raft or kayak. Likely was caught overnight by using lights or fire would be my guess. Unless he ventured to the waters edge during daylight and got caught.

EBBE31A3-9400-4A40-8A36-71BCB80E6203.png

lilypgirl

I’m not doubting this, but do people do this over the flu? Not trying to make the Covid-19/flu comparison, but people gets the flu and colds and whatnot all the time from other people. Why would this be different and more...”sue-worthy,” I guess?
I am wondering the same thing. I would be curious as to what the stats on civil cases and STD’s\AIDS are.

Polkadotdress

See if you can find a state representative who handles labor stuff.

We are trying, however he is one of over 250K that got deemed ineligible earlier this week, so the rep offices are being overwhelmed.

Did you see where they told people if they were deemed ineligible to just reapply?

"Any of those people who applied on or before April 4 should reapply regardless of whether they’ve received a response from the department. If they’ve applied on or after April 5, the state will be able to process their claim and they do not need to do anything, Vause said.

"Just reapply.." HA! It took 6 weeks to get that first response. So, it is absolutely mindboggling and callous for the state to say "just reapply", as how many weeks will it be this time? It is absolutely unfathomable that this process is so convoluted and penalizing to the end user.

DisneyCane

I am wondering the same thing. I would be curious as to what the stats on civil cases and STD’s\AIDS are.
With HIV there have been some criminal cases if someone knows they are infected but does not disclose the fact to partners and doesn't take precautions.

With COVID I could see civil suits if someone knows they have it and don't take precautions to protect others. Against a business, I think it would only be successful if the business doesn't follow guidelines or allows a known positive employee to be at work.

Criminal I'm not so sure. Maybe if someone knowingly enters a nursing home when positive it would be treated differently than going to the beach.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I’m not doubting this, but do people do this over the flu? Not trying to make the Covid-19/flu comparison, but people gets the flu and colds and whatnot all the time from other people. Why would this be different and more...”sue-worthy,” I guess?
I don’t know about the civil lawsuit thing. I don’t think you would have a very good chance of being successful. On the employment side the employer can pretty much make up the rules and as long as they aren’t discriminating against a protected group they are covered. For example a lot of companies have a nepotism policy where you can’t sleep with your boss. If you get caught you could be fired if that’s the policy. It’s not illegal to sleep with your boss and there would be no hope of an action in a civil court but the employer has every right to fire you for it. Same goes with something like a policy prohibiting long hair, facial hair or other form of personal appearance. It’s not illegal to have long hair and a beard but if the employer says it’s their policy they can fire you for it unless you can prove it’s for religious purposes or some other form of protected class.

As far as Covid goes, I think most employers have the policy to protect employees not punish them so I can’t imagine there are very many people who would even oppose a similar rule. I’m not getting into why this virus is different than the flu. Go back and read the 468 pages from before the mom banned that discussion ;)

GoofGoof

Premium Member
With HIV there have been some criminal cases if someone knows they are infected but does not disclose the fact to partners and doesn't take precautions.

With COVID I could see civil suits if someone knows they have it and don't take precautions to protect others. Against a business, I think it would only be successful if the business doesn't follow guidelines or allows a known positive employee to be at work.

Criminal I'm not so sure. Maybe if someone knowingly enters a nursing home when positive it would be treated differently than going to the beach.
There have been several unfortunate cases of people intentionally coughing on someone saying they were infected. A federal judge ruled that if you do that you can be charged with making terroristic threats and if you are actually positive it’s a felony. I don’t see it being highly likely that any civil lawsuit would stick. Like you said the one exception being if there was some form of negligence.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
yes all those lakes and swamp areas are full of gators and water moccasins. I would not venture out there. Bay Lake where this is at is fully contained within Disney Property. The lake you are thinking of that is partly owned by Disney is to the north east, Lake Mabel. Disney owns the souther section of that lake. To get to Discovery Island they have to get onto Disney Property, no way around that. I would guess the guy used a raft or kayak. Likely was caught overnight by using lights or fire would be my guess. Unless he ventured to the waters edge during daylight and got caught.

View attachment 467759
You may be right. I think the 4 seasons has a small canal by it that leads to Bay Lake but it may not be possible to get all the way through with a boat. Plus I guess the 4 seasons resort is closed. There are some private houses nearby so I would assume they would have to let those people in and out. I remember seeing a video posted on youtube of a guy who snuck into River Country and swam out to Discovery Island but that was back when the resort was still open.

Chi84

Premium Member
I don’t know about the civil lawsuit thing. I don’t think you would have a very good chance of being successful. On the employment side the employer can pretty much make up the rules and as long as they aren’t discriminating against a protected group they are covered. For example a lot of companies have a nepotism policy where you can’t sleep with your boss. If you get caught you could be fired if that’s the policy. It’s not illegal to sleep with your boss and there would be no hope of an action in a civil court but the employer has every right to fire you for it. Same goes with something like a policy prohibiting long hair, facial hair or other form of personal appearance. It’s not illegal to have long hair and a beard but if the employer says it’s their policy they can fire you for it unless you can prove it’s for religious purposes or some other form of protected class.

As far as Covid goes, I think most employers have the policy to protect employees not punish them so I can’t imagine there are very many people who would even oppose a similar rule. I’m not getting into why this virus is different than the flu. Go back and read the 468 pages from before the mom banned that discussion ;)
True. The recourse against your employer if you don't like their policies is to quit, not lie.

natatomic

Lol, right. Like I said, I wasn’t trying to make a comparison between diseases. Just wondering that if someone could sue a person or place for catching COVID-19, would this open up the door to also sue for catching the flu or any other illness. Not that I know of, anyway. Except for maybe STDs, but that might be different somehow. I don’t know. I’m just rambling my musings as to whether or not this will become one more opportunity for the Sue–happy among us.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Lol, right. Like I said, I wasn’t trying to make a comparison between diseases. Just wondering that if someone could sue a person or place for catching COVID-19, would this open up the door to also sue for catching the flu or any other illness. Not that I know of, anyway. Except for maybe STDs, but that might be different somehow. I don’t know. I’m just rambling my musings as to whether or not this will become one more opportunity for the Sue–happy among us.
I don’t think anyone will win a lawsuit against an individual unless the person intentionally infects them, like a positive person coughing or spitting on someone on purpose and then the person ends up infected. They would also have to prove losses so barring death or serious disability there won’t be large damages. As far as businesses go it’s going to be hard to pin down where someone got infected. I could see maybe a group of employees suing their employer for not providing proper safety or allowing/requiring people who are infected to come back too soon. In Disney terms if they opened back up and didn’t have any temperature checks, masks or other precautions and told anyone who was sick to come to work anyway. That’s the opposite of what will probably happen. Disney will be highly concerned with CMs being sick, not necessarily just for their own well being but also because they won’t want them inadvertently infecting guests.

I don’t think this opens the door for lawsuits over the flu. It’s a different situation. I also don’t think once there is a vaccine that anyone would even try to sue over this virus.

lazyboy97o

In Disney terms if they opened back up and didn’t have any temperature checks, masks or other precautions and told anyone who was sick to come to work anyway. That’s the opposite of what will probably happen. Disney will be highly concerned with CMs being sick, not necessarily just for their own well being but also because they won’t want them inadvertently infecting guests.
While Disney will be concerned the challenge will be undoing a system and culture that can be hostile towards ill Cast Members. Too often Cast Members can be dinged for frequent and/or prolonged illness. Disney needs to relax their policies, aggressively communicate the change and have means of quickly resolving issues with those who do not accept them.

ImperfectPixie

While Disney will be concerned the challenge will be undoing a system and culture that can be hostile towards ill Cast Members. Too often Cast Members can be dinged for frequent and/or prolonged illness. Disney needs to relax their policies, aggressively communicate the change and have means of quickly resolving issues with those who do not accept them.
That's not just a Disney problem, either.

peter11435

Disney has a pretty lenient attendance policy.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Maybe one of the positives to come out of all of this. Across the board more emphasis on paid time off for sickness.

natatomic

Disney has, by far, the most lenient attendance policy I’ve ever experienced in all my working years.

peter11435

Wut? They have a points system locked in with the unions... It's the root of many 'no hires' as young kids (especially at DL) didn't respect and found out the hard way afterwards.
Yes they have a points systems. The points system is incredibly lenient. You can miss an astonishing amount of work with no repercussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom