Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyCane

I think a lot of people are thinking that transition from phase 2 to 3 happens by June 1. I think the truth lies somewhere between 6/1 and Thanksgiving, but I‘m not even going to venture a guess at this point. Gotta at least see how phase 1 goes.
If the distancing rules are followed and the Department of Health is doing contact tracing I'd expect phase 1 to go well outside of Palm Beach through Miami-Dade. If you look at the detailed data, the rest of the state hasn't really had much of an outbreak to begin with. Phase 2 will be the real test when gathering size in increased and more capacity is allowed in restaurants.

The restaurants around me were packed last night. I cooked at home, but took a ride around just to see what it was like.
Just out of curiosity, where is "around you?"

DisneyCane

Me too. There were two types. Not open/pickup only. And "We're Open" - The "We're Open" ones were packed. Based on the cars - I can't see how the "social distancing" could have been enforced.

The cars can be deceiving if a lot of people drive alone. There are times when I think Publix will be packed based on the lot and there is barely anybody inside (relative to the store size).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I think obviously the important one for Disney is moving from Phase 2 to Phase 3. I'd be curious to see what the expected time frame of moving into Phase 3 looks like from a Disney perspective. I'd have to think with no major re-occurrences, maybe Thanksgiving/Christmas time (with an outside shot at Halloween/Mid October - and a very best case scenario of Labor Day).

By their own metrics, every time they go two weeks with a reduction of cases, they move to a new phase. So, theoretically, Phase 3 can be four weeks away.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If the distancing rules are followed and the Department of Health is doing contact tracing I'd expect phase 1 to go well outside of Palm Beach through Miami-Dade. If you look at the detailed data, the rest of the state hasn't really had much of an outbreak to begin with. Phase 2 will be the real test when gathering size in increased and more capacity is allowed in restaurants.
The move from 1 to 2 should be less dramatic. They do increase capacity and some additional businesses are allowed but social distancing is still around with caps on gathering sizes and physical distancing/masks still recommended or required. It’s when you go from 2 to 3 and the social distancing as well as caps on gathering size roll off that there will be a big change. I think there will be a big push to get there as fast as possible from a portion of the population but leaders need to weigh pleasing some of the people against the potential damage from going too fast. Disney as a company could also slam on the breaks and wait a little longer even if FL moves to phase 3 if they think it’s still too soon.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
Premium Member
By their own metrics, every time they go two weeks with a reduction of cases, they move to a new phase. So, theoretically, Phase 3 can be four weeks away.

FWIW - I don't think they'll open with a Phase 3 approach. I could see Phase 2 right before Memorial Day - maybe the week before. Then a gradual move toward Phase 3 throughout summer with maybe Labor Day being the time they start relaxing things. The more I think about it - I'll correct my previous post and say - without a major re-occurrence, I think Labor Day. MNSSHP still has a shot - Hopefully. As long as they don't price it at 1k per person. Which makes me wonder about the pricing of Galactic StarCruiser. Any news there?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
FWIW - I don't think they'll open with a Phase 3 approach. I could see Phase 2 right before Memorial Day - maybe the week before. Then a gradual move toward Phase 3 throughout summer with maybe Labor Day being the time they start relaxing things. The more I think about it - I'll correct my previous post and say - without a major re-occurrence, I think Labor Day. MNSSHP still has a shot - Hopefully. As long as they don't price it at 1k per person. Which makes me wonder about the pricing of Galactic StarCruiser. Any news there?
I think it’s a more logical plan to do things with a more gradual approach like you describe but people want a timetable laid out that they can tick off on their calendar. That’s the risk with laying out a plan with minimum times. Lots of people are assuming that the 2 weeks for each phase is hard and firm.

Jrb1979

Looks like masks and temp checks are going to be required for everyone. Don't be surprised when Disney does the same.

TrojanUSC

Are you saying WDW would open around Memorial Day? There's no chance as they don't even have bookings for those dates and they're not going to open to nobody staying on property.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
Premium Member
Are you saying WDW would open around Memorial Day? There's no chance as they don't even have bookings for those dates and they're not going to open to nobody staying on property.

Unless they wanted to use the locals as Guinea Pigs. Maybe? I have no idea when they're going to open. Neither do you.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Looks like masks and temp checks are going to be required for everyone. Don't be surprised when Disney does the same.
I think the temp checks are all but certain to happen. Even Iger mentioned it. The masks I’ll believe it when I see it. I could see them being highly recommended and even possibly given out at the front gate to encourage use, but I don’t think it’s going to be easy to enforce all day. What do you do when someone doesn‘t want to wear one? Have security detain them, throw them out of the park? I just don’t see Disney wanting the bad PR from that kind of event. If they make it mandatory but don’t enforce it that’s even worse. Then guests will be confronting each other over it. That’s why I think theme parks should just wait until masks are not required to open (probably phase 3 in FL).

I don’t see what the point is of a character meet and greet where you stay 6 feet from the character. That’s going to make for an odd looking picture. To each their own. I also want to see how water parks work with masks. Seems virtually impossible. The rest of the stuff sounds about what I would expect.

Jrb1979

I think the temp checks are all but certain to happen. Even Iger mentioned it. The masks I’ll believe it when I see it. I could see them being highly recommended and even possibly given out at the front gate to encourage use, but I don’t think it’s going to be easy to enforce all day. What do you do when someone doesn‘t want to wear one? Have security detain them, throw them out of the park? I just don’t see Disney wanting the bad PR from that kind of event. If they make it mandatory but don’t enforce it that’s even worse. Then guests will be confronting each other over it. That’s why I think theme parks should just wait until masks are not required to open (probably phase 3 in FL).

I don’t see what the point is of a character meet and greet where you stay 6 feet from the character. That’s going to make for an odd looking picture. To each their own. I also want to see how water parks work with masks. Seems virtually impossible. The rest of the stuff sounds about what I would expect.
It did say they will be implementing them. Its easy to enforce the masks. You wear it or you're not welcome in. As for the character meet and greets, the Transformer ones at Universal are not up close. People are going to have to learn to adapt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom