WDW Reopening Estimates

When will WDW theme parks reopen to guests?

• May

Votes: 34 3.0%
  • June

Votes: 424 37.3%
  • July

Votes: 287 25.2%
  • August

Votes: 124 10.9%
  • September or even later in 2020

Votes: 269 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

carolina_yankee

DVC is a gigantic problem. Especially if the common belief here is that DVC owners will yield/give back in anyway.

DVC buyers signed a contract to support Disney no matter what...that doesn’t mean they’re a battalion of marines willing to storm a beachhead under heavy fire.

They’ll want their satisfaction and won’t budge. At least that was the consensus amongst 19 out of the 20 or so members I talk to regularly...I abstained - to be clear 😎

DVC will not be “backseated” to “those paying for a deluxe room”.

The secret is DVC owners wised up to that racket decades ago and that’s why they bought 😂

Sure Disney wants the big ticket, infrequent travelers back. But we’re in a recession/depression already and those people aren’t dependable enough. That’s why DVC exists in the first place. The general public will Stay home unless everything is perfect in their eyes...DVC won’t.

That sure seems like a bus driver idea...

They’re going to open in 14 days to test “new protocols” that they don’t have the slightest clue on yet?

Shirley, ye jest?

From my conversation moderating a DVC forum:

Two areas where I think DVC members will yield no quarter is lost points over the closures because of banking deadlines and cash guests allowed while DVC guests are locked out - furthering the loss of points.​
Other than that I think most DVC members will get with the program - either go with whatever limitations are currently in place, or wait until they can have a more full experience.​

I'm also not sure most DVC members have APs. It just depends on how frequently one travels. Most DVC members don't own enough points to travel more than once a year or so, just the ones who have time to chat on the internet all day. :)

I personally am mixed as to whether I'll extend my AP or just buy tickets if my expiring AP doesn't get bumped up enough to cover our next trip.

I think most DVC members also eat at least one meal out each day. Most want studios. Studios aren't easy to cook dinners in - just breakfast and snacks.

I agree on the lack of souvenirs. However, if Disney is open, and cash guests are permitted, Disney is going to have to find a way to allow DVC resorts to open.

Ironically, we me be the ones more willing to just lounge at the resort and do an attraction or two each day than a cash guest.

icc2515

I don’t see how they don’t use hotel units for DVC in a restart...the numbers will never work out otherwise. Everyday they’re closed there’s what?...50,000 points backlogged? Maybe a lot more...I could do the math if I get REALLY bored...so like May 1st then 🤪
Maybe I don't understand what you are getting at here. If I were to have booked a 2 bedroom with a full kitchen for 2 adults and 6 children what hotel room are they going to put me at?

icc2515

I'm also not sure most DVC members have APs. It just depends on how frequently one travels. Most DVC members don't own enough points to travel more than once a year or so, just the ones who have time to chat on the internet all day. :)
Most DVC members that I know and have talked to have AP's. A 7 day park hopper in the summer is about $600 a gold AP is $719. We take the kids in July 1 year then the next year in June getting 2 trips off the AP and that saves a lot of money and still only taking them once per year.

Ravenclaw78

Maybe I don't understand what you are getting at here. If I were to have booked a 2 bedroom with a full kitchen for 2 adults and 6 children what hotel room are they going to put me at?
I don't want to put words in his mouth, but what I've been expecting and what I think he meant is that they'll reserve large chunks of standard hotel and possibly DCL inventory for new bookings using DVC points (at fewer points per night than normal, no resale restriction, and waived transfer fee). You'd still need to find availability for a 2-bedroom, but 2-bedroom inventory is going to be a lot less of an issue than studios, and a lot of members who book studios have 4 or fewer in their party and don't cook in the room. That will swallow a lot of the excess points in the system at minimal impact to most members. Non-DVC hotel bookings are going to be light, at least until the parks return to business as usual, so it's a win-win.

I'm kind of also hoping that some members who stand to lose points will decide to burn them on Cabins and Bungalows, figuring that if they can't do much in the parks anyway, they may as well treat themselves to a night or two of luxury.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If you’re “booked” and that place is open...there’s no problem.

That’s not what i’m Referring to.
Most DVC members that I know and have talked to have AP's. A 7 day park hopper in the summer is about $600 a gold AP is $719. We take the kids in July 1 year then the next year in June getting 2 trips off the AP and that saves a lot of money and still only taking them once per year.
How many do you know?

10? 100? 10,000?
Or 400,000?

Scale is always the problem when the phrase “that I know/talked to” is used as some type of evidence

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
From my conversation moderating a DVC forum:

Two areas where I think DVC members will yield no quarter is lost points over the closures because of banking deadlines and cash guests allowed while DVC guests are locked out - furthering the loss of points.​
Other than that I think most DVC members will get with the program - either go with whatever limitations are currently in place, or wait until they can have a more full experience.​

I personally am mixed as to whether I'll extend my AP or just buy tickets if my expiring AP doesn't get bumped up enough to cover our next trip.

I think most DVC members also eat at least one meal out each day. Most want studios. Studios aren't easy to cook dinners in - just breakfast and snacks.

I agree on the lack of souvenirs. However, if Disney is open, and cash guests are permitted, Disney is going to have to find a way to allow DVC resorts to open.

Ironically, we me be the ones more willing to just lounge at the resort and do an attraction or two each day than a cash guest.
This is fantastic ...

So i’ll repost it in hopes People read it again...and not just skim it 😉

surfsupdon

People keep posting that Resorts will open in phases, that MK Resorts are the first to reopen. June 29th we have reservations at BoardWalk Inn and at Caribbean Beach. Nothing yet that we have been changed. And you can currently book a room at any Resort for those dates, All Star to Poly, Saratoga to AKL.
If they were condensing Resorts, shouldn’t they be making those moves now, and closing inventory??

TrojanUSC

People keep posting that Resorts will open in phases, that MK Resorts are the first to reopen. June 29th we have reservations at BoardWalk Inn and at Caribbean Beach. Nothing yet that we have been changed. And you can currently book a room at any Resort for those dates, All Star to Poly, Saratoga to AKL.
If they were condensing Resorts, shouldn’t they be making those moves now, and closing inventory??

No, because they simply don't know. There are people with May reservations, which clearly aren't happening under any circumstances, that haven't been cancelled yet.

It's a combination of "wait and see so we don't open at 0% occupancy" and "almost everyone who works for us is furloughed so it's taking us a lot of time to cancel these things."

There also might be something going on behind the scenes with any kind of insurance they have that gives them x amount if the resorts are closed due to force majeure, so they wait to cancel until the last minute.

havoc315

It shows you they really don't know yet. I truly believe they have lots of scenarios mapped out. And they might even be favoring the MK resorts first... etc etc.. But obviously, they still think there is at least an outside chance of opening by June 1.

But they will have to decide pretty soon. I'd expect guidance from Disney in the next 10-14 days.

In fairness to guests... Beyond open/closed information, they should let guests know what type of experience to expect. Especially if Epcot is going to be closed ---- They are offering free dining, Epcot restaurants are still accepting dining reservations. How peeved will guests be if they have "free" dining but half their restaurant reservations get cancelled and because of reduced restaurant capacity, there is no place else for them to reserve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom