WDW Reopening Estimates

When will WDW theme parks reopen to guests?

• May

Votes: 34 3.0%
  • June

Votes: 424 37.3%
  • July

Votes: 287 25.2%
  • August

Votes: 124 10.9%
  • September or even later in 2020

Votes: 269 23.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

MJJME

I know I'm a broken record here but Broadway insiders keep discussing further and further delays. First it was April, then July, now folks are saying September. I can't imagine major theme parks or sporting events or concerts returning before Times Square does. I really can't.
Really? New York is the hot spot of the world. Your logic is severely flawed

Herdman

Guests whose vacations were canceled can currently book a new reservation with Free Dining for any stay checking in June thru September.
I understand that, but if they are paying a "full" price, either transferring their current "full" reservation cost or paying something differnet expecting a complete parks operating schedule, how are they going to deal with those people if only one park is open? "You gave me free dining, but I'm still paying for a complete stay with all the parks open. I made a reservation at Teppan Edo, and Epcot isn't open", for example.

Last edited:

HongKongFooy

Refillable popcorn buckets.........

If no more refills Disney and Universal best refund those who purchased. Guests paid a very high entry fee(high for popcorn anyway) to play the popcorn game.

Don't think guests won't demand. Look what happened to Subway when it was giving out 10.5 inch sandwiches when promoting "foot longs".

Maccabee18

Does anyone think as restrictions are easing that Disney is wanting to start a rolling open around Memorial Day? Since they seem to be rolling the cancellations week to week, but have not pushed back reservations beyond June 1st I am thinking there is some thought to attempt to start opening?

My thought is that Memorial Day weekend or before they will begin to open hotels and Disney Springs (since they have national chains) to get people into hotels lightly with those who currently have non cancelled reservations.

June 1st they soft open parks and only allow those with hotel reservations into some parks to limit and control attendance, and then throughout the month of June continue ramping up parks and allowing APs and Day tickets to influx throughout as they test our capacity and national infection rates.

Thoughts?

trainplane3

You’re not following here...

The DVC formula requires for people to constantly use their points in real time for the mechanism to work.

They can’t have a disruption...and they can’t have everyone bank.

They have a big numbers/logistics issue brewing
The DVC situation has me really wondering what they'll do. Personally if (total example) WL is closed but they let me stay in the other MK resorts for the same point value, I wouldn't mind. Those only a few (2 or 3) resorts that I don't care about across the entire property but even then, I wouldn't complain. But I know there's extremely stubborn DVC owners out there that'll flip if they can't stay at the one specific hotel they love.

solidyne

Does anyone think as restrictions are easing that Disney is wanting to start a rolling open around Memorial Day? Since they seem to be rolling the cancellations week to week, but have not pushed back reservations beyond June 1st I am thinking there is some thought to attempt to start opening?

My thought is that Memorial Day weekend or before they will begin to open hotels and Disney Springs (since they have national chains) to get people into hotels lightly with those who currently have non cancelled reservations.

June 1st they soft open parks and only allow those with hotel reservations into some parks to limit and control attendance, and then throughout the month of June continue ramping up parks and allowing APs and Day tickets to influx throughout as they test our capacity and national infection rates.

Thoughts?
As long as Swan/Dolphin reservations count....

icc2515

DVC is not a problem for Disney. It actually puts them at a great advantage over Universal. Saratoga Springs, Old Key West, Animal Kingdom Lodge, Copper Creek, Wilderness Lodge VillIias, Beach Club Villas, Boardwalk Villas, The Villas at Grand Floridian and The Riviera are going to be full because people have to use their points or lose them. They can also allow some members to stay at moderate without the extra cost to help fill up those resorts.

I would respectfully disagree with you on this. In my opinion 2 of Disney's big problems going into this are the need to bring in as much revenue as possible and the need to keep as much social distancing as possible in the parks. To keep social distancing in the parks they are going to have to limit the number of people in the parks. Some people are saying just letting a few thousand in the parks. Disney is not looking to fill the resorts. WDW PRO said that one of Disney Plans is to just open the MK resorts and those are some of the most expensive resorts on property hence fulfilling the bring in as much revenue as possible. DVC throws a monkey wrench in the whole make money and keep the parks relatively empty. Filling DVC rooms makes zero dollars for Disney. Those rooms were paid for when the original contract was purchased direct from Disney, some of them 20 years or more ago. Members pay a maintenance fee that covers taxes, utilities, housekeeping, refurbs, transportation, etc. DVCM only makes a small profit to run the place and they already got that money back in January when the dues were paid Many DVC rooms have full kitchens and members bring their own food to cook so they don't have to pay Disney's high restaurant prices. Members are allowed to buy AP's at fairly good discount. Most members that I know rarely buy souvenirs. Do you see what I mean, they bring no new money into the equation or at least very little. DVC will show up in droves and will fill most of the DVC rooms and fill the small capacity of the park. This is really going to tick off the person that paid $500-$1000 for a deluxe room and are turned away from the park because it is filled to capacity.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Thoughts?
Can’t see it happening then.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The DVC situation has me really wondering what they'll do. Personally if (total example) WL is closed but they let me stay in the other MK resorts for the same point value, I wouldn't mind. Those only a few (2 or 3) resorts that I don't care about across the entire property but even then, I wouldn't complain. But I know there's extremely stubborn DVC owners out there that'll flip if they can't stay at the one specific hotel they love.
I don’t see how they don’t use hotel units for DVC in a restart...the numbers will never work out otherwise. Everyday they’re closed there’s what?...50,000 points backlogged? Maybe a lot more...I could do the math if I get REALLY bored...so like May 1st then 🤪

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I would respectfully disagree with you on this. In my opinion 2 of Disney's big problems going into this are the need to bring in as much revenue as possible and the need to keep as much social distancing as possible in the parks. To keep social distancing in the parks they are going to have to limit the number of people in the parks. Some people are saying just letting a few thousand in the parks. Disney is not looking to fill the resorts. WDW PRO said that one of Disney Plans is to just open the MK resorts and those are some of the most expensive resorts on property hence fulfilling the bring in as much revenue as possible. DVC throws a monkey wrench in the whole make money and keep the parks relatively empty. Filling DVC rooms makes zero dollars for Disney. Those rooms were paid for when the original contract was purchased direct from Disney, some of them 20 years or more ago. Members pay a maintenance fee that covers taxes, utilities, housekeeping, refurbs, transportation, etc. DVCM only makes a small profit to run the place and they already got that money back in January when the dues were paid Many DVC rooms have full kitchens and members bring their own food to cook so they don't have to pay Disney's high restaurant prices. Members are allowed to buy AP's at fairly good discount. Most members that I know rarely buy souvenirs. Do you see what I mean, they bring no new money into the equation or at least very little. DVC will show up in droves and will fill most of the DVC rooms and fill the small capacity of the park. This is really going to tick off the person that paid $500-$1000 for a deluxe room and are turned away from the park because it is filled to capacity.
DVC is a gigantic problem. Especially if the common belief here is that DVC owners will yield/give back in anyway.

DVC buyers signed a contract to support Disney no matter what...that doesn’t mean they’re a battalion of marines willing to storm a beachhead under heavy fire.

They’ll want their satisfaction and won’t budge. At least that was the consensus amongst 19 out of the 20 or so members I talk to regularly...I abstained - to be clear 😎

DVC will not be “backseated” to “those paying for a deluxe room”.

The secret is DVC owners wised up to that racket decades ago and that’s why they bought 😂

Sure Disney wants the big ticket, infrequent travelers back. But we’re in a recession/depression already and those people aren’t dependable enough. That’s why DVC exists in the first place. The general public will Stay home unless everything is perfect in their eyes...DVC won’t.
Was golfing at Magnolia yesterday. Several employees commented about WDW being opened on limited basis on May 2nd. Only two parks (don’t know which ones) available only to AP holders. No hotels opened, no transportation, no Disney Springs.

Idea is to test new entry protocols rumored (temperature scan?) while saving SOME revenue being lost through the lucrative AP program.

Not making this up and obviously no other WDW people available outside of some golf people to corroborate but an interesting idea.
That sure seems like a bus driver idea...

They’re going to open in 14 days to test “new protocols” that they don’t have the slightest clue on yet?

Shirley, ye jest?

Last edited:

The Mom

Premium Member
Was golfing at Magnolia yesterday. Several employees commented about WDW being opened on limited basis on May 2nd. Only two parks (don’t know which ones) available only to AP holders. No hotels opened, no transportation, no Disney Springs.

Idea is to test new entry protocols rumored (temperature scan?) while saving SOME revenue being lost through the lucrative AP program.

Not making this up and obviously no other WDW people available outside of some golf people to corroborate but an interesting idea.

Are they related to the proverbial Bus Drivers? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom