Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angel Ariel

The economy shut down for a reason ( related to covid19 ) . To flatten the curve we have to flatten the economy. Starvation? USA is one of the most obese countries in the world. We eat way too much. Rushing to open Disney would be suicide.
If you don’t think food insecurity is an issue in this country, then we aren’t living in the same reality.

Polynesia

Sounds like the cast need the money at this point.
There are a lot of people and causes that need money. While I sit at home I feel pretty helpless. Last night the mayor came on tv with a pitch to help out Second Harvest, a local Orlando food bank. So I made a donation. My household is still employed so I feel blessed. Those that can step up and help should. We’re in this together and so many need help.

DisneyDebRob

There are a lot of people and causes that need money. While I sit at home I feel pretty helpless. Last night the mayor came on tv with a pitch to help out Second Harvest, a local Orlando food bank. So I made a donation. My household is still employed so I feel blessed. Those that can step up and help should. We’re in this together and so many need help.
Well said. If we can we should.

DreamalittleDisney

CRASH.. I know many of you will have felt it bit today is the day our WDW trip was cancelled due to huge amounts of errors on TUIs behalf our original trip was May 15th 2020 an agent on Saturday helped us to move it to May 2021 - didn't tell us about any additional charges which meant our bill went up by £2000 been trying to call back since the weekend and have spent 19.5hrs on hold to them in total

I've been cut off by their system about 5 times spoke to an advisor today who I got cut off from twice thankfully she called me back they said that they could move it to Oct 2020 for us ... checked price and additional £2628 for the same trip as they wouldn't honour the free dining offer we booked.

I've refused and they've agreed to cancel it completely.. i was due to fly in 5 weeks its been booked nearly 12months (booked originally with Thomas Cook they went bust so rebooted with Tui)

I have my family and my health right now and we are all safe of course I'm grateful of that but there's now a big mickey shaped hole and I'm having a sad day...

Hoping to rebook for 2021 when the UK free dining launches again (it works for us don't judge 😁) and fill the void with our next trip!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Kudos to Disney chef George Hansen! He was furloughed collecting a full salary for weeks. He decided to volunteer 40 - 50 hours a week to cook food at an Orlando mission. Giving back using his talents!
I saw a story about a charity in New Orleans that was doing something similar. They took donations of money and then used the money to pay out of work cooks and kitchen staff from some of the restaurants there to come in and cook food for first responders and hospital workers. Pretty cool idea to keep people busy and get a little extra cash to people who need it while also feeding the people helping us all through this. Many of the famous chefs and restaurant owners were the primary doners.

Lilofan

If you don’t think food insecurity is an issue in this country, then we aren’t living in the same reality.
Food insecurity? In my travels to Latin American countries and the Far East, I think we have it pretty well in the USA. That's reality. Traveling to other places outside the USA makes one appreciate more that we live in the greatest country on earth.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member

Angel Ariel

Food insecurity? In my travels to Latin American countries and the Far East, we have it pretty well in the USA. That's reality.
Yes, food insecurity. Our country as a general population is better off, perhaps, but if you don’t think there is actual poverty here and populations where access to food is a real problem, then you should perhaps do a little more research.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Food insecurity? In my travels to Latin American countries and the Far East, we have it pretty well in the USA. That's reality.
Roughly 15% of the American population receives some kind of food assistance and that was before this huge spike in unemployment. The difference is in the US there are a lot more options for assistance than in some other places. In our country nobody should have to go hungry (especially kids) but it takes a boat load of people and donations to make sure that’s the case. I have volunteered at a food bank on several occasions and it’s mind blowing to see the volume of food that cycles through there and the volume of people receiving the donations.

I can only imagine that food banks and other charitable organizations are going to see a major spike in demand with this crisis and they have to be way short on both volunteers and donations (Cash and food).

Lilofan

Yes, food insecurity. Our country as a general population is better off, perhaps, but if you don’t think there is actual poverty here and populations where access to food is a real problem, then you should perhaps do a little more research.
Food banks, places of worship, homeless shelters, just to name a few provide substance to the needy. Perhaps one can open their eyes that there are places. Here is a tip. A friend of mine worked at Cracker Barrel. There is an unwritten policy that if you speak to the MOD in charge, the location can give you a complimentary meal in a to-go container at the back door of the restaurant. Access to food? Some I know grow their own food. It's actually quite healthy.

Last edited:

Angel Ariel

Food banks, places of worship, homeless shelters, just to name a few provide substance to the needy. Perhaps one can open their eyes that there are places. Here is a tip. A friend of mine worked at Cracker Barrel. There is an unwritten policy that if you speak to the MOD in charge, the location can give you a complimentary meal at the back door of the restaurant. Access to food? Some I know grow their own food. It's actually quite healthy.
I didn’t say there aren’t places that they can get assistance. The fact that they *need assistance* is what qualifies them as food insecure. And, as GoofGoof eloquently pointed out, the resources of the places you mention are also going to be significantly impacted by all of this. Donations will be down. Volunteers will be less. They will be impacted by the economic changes just as much, or more, than everyone else will be.

Lilofan

I didn’t say there aren’t places that they can get assistance. The fact that they *need assistance* is what qualifies them as food insecure. And, as GoofGoof eloquently pointed out, the resources of the places you mention are also going to be significantly impacted by all of this. Donations will be down. Volunteers will be less. They will be impacted by the economic changes just as much, or more, than everyone else will be.
Might want to check your verbiage. Stating Access to assistance is different from stating needing assistance after @GoofGoof wrote down his thoughts which is duly noted. Anyone recall WDW donating a large amount of food before the parks and resorts shut down to the Orlando missions? Good PR move, the media showcased it and the right thing to do by WDW.

Angel Ariel

Might want to check your verbiage. Stating Access to assistance is different from stating needing assistance after @GoofGoof wrote down his thoughts which as duly noted. Anyone recall WDW donating a large amount of food before the parks and resorts shut down to the Orlando missions? Good PR move and the right thing to do by WDW.
I didn’t say use the words access to assistance.

I did say access to food (and I should have been clear that I meant independent access to food, not needing assistance to do so). However, food banks and churches, etc here are already running very low on food, so that’s not an off base statement either. I’m glad GodfGoof’s post helped you understand the point.

John park hopper

In order to insure an adequate food supply we need to insure our farmers are not going to be be put out of business, farming is a business, they have mortgages, equipment costs, seed and fertilizer costs. They are at the mercy of the weather. When it comes time to harvest they need a labor supply --without it the crop rots in the field. We have become accustomed to never ending supply of food (may be too much so obesity is rampant). Lets not forget the farmer --we need them

Lilofan

In order to insure an adequate food supply we need to insure our farmers are not going to be be put out of business, farming is a business, they have mortgages, equipment costs, seed and fertilizer costs. They are at the mercy of the weather. When it comes time to harvest they need a labor supply --without it the crop rots in the field. We have become accustomed to never ending supply of food (may be too much so obesity is rampant). Lets not forget the farmer --we need them
Farmers are important. I know I like my fruits and veggies. One concern is if farmers are having issues with lack of migrant labor to work the fields, then if Americans work the fields and get paid higher wages. That could possibly mean farmers to ensure their profitability may pass the higher costs to the consumer.

John park hopper

Farmers are important. I know I like my fruits and veggies. One concern is if farmers are having issues with lack of migrant labor to work the fields, then if Americans work the fields and get paid higher wages. That could possibly mean farmers to ensure their profitability may pass the higher costs to the consumer.
Oh how we have changed, during the great depression farmers who lost everything and were out of work flooded California looking for work in the fields harvesting. if you have never seen the movie "Grapes of Wrath" staring Henry Fonda I suggest you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom