Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilofan

But what about the deaths of the families due to their inevitable starvation, homelessness, lack of adequate health care, and suicides? All due to the economy shutting down and millions out of work unable to pay their bills.
The economy shut down for a reason ( related to covid19 ) . To flatten the curve we have to flatten the economy. Starvation? USA is one of the most obese countries in the world. We eat way too much. Rushing to open Disney would be suicide.

Last edited:

Lilofan

Or how it's realistic to think kids are going to keep masks on all day at all. I'm talking the 0 to 3/4 set most especially, where "reasoning" doesn't work, and they touch everything all the time.
Asian countries seem to wear masks all day long, even children and even some pets! . So it is realistic.

Last edited:

Lilofan

I thought a furlough was a job when it opens back up?
A furlough provides you health insurance among other things. When a company opens back up with slower than normal business levels, all bets are off if all staff members are needed to work. Any business is looking hard at labor costs and that's one of the first areas to trim when business levels are down.

Last edited:

Lilofan

I’m not sure I would say “vast majority” - there are a lot of moving parts to the WDW property that require a lot of special talent.
But all these " special talent " folks, when Disney opens up slowly on a "modified " operations for the guests paying full price are all these cast tonight be needed to work? Since parades, parts of entertainment and fireworks may not all fully be happening?

Last edited:

Lilofan

Of 65,000...how many do you think those numbers include?

I’m looking for a guess...there’s no “right answer”
But you can eliminate: all management...obviously the CP/IP...and near all the food and bev and the entirety of guess services right off the bat.
Disney has a number of back areas like a university for classroom studies and an institute to conduct corporate training. Is that really necessary to operate in this type of downturn in business? One 6 figure salary job new CEO numbers guy Chapek has not filled yet was his previous position after he was told he has a new job.

Last edited:

Jon81uk

The suggestion to wear masks in public like at the grocery store is not to keep you healthy but to keep you from potentially infecting others if you are infected and don’t know it. Nobody should feel “safer” wearing a mask unless it’s a good one and you shouldn’t be buying those, leave them for the healthcare workers.

and that is why the mask-wearers behaving as described in @DisneyCane 's post is them exhibiting a false sense of security. Even if you are wearing a mask you should still aim to keep 6-8ft away from other people. But many lay-people put a simple surgical mask on and then think its business as normal.
Also I've seen far too many people with a mask round their neck while they smoke, if they are currently healthy then every time they move the mask it increases the chance of infection. Yes masks can reduce the chance of an asymptomatic person spreading it, but poor use of one could mean a healthy person getting sick.

Last edited:

Jwink

The economy shut down for a reason ( related to covid19 ) . To flatten the curve we have to flatten the economy. Starvation? USA is one of the most obese countries in the world. We eat way too much. Rushing to open Disney would be suicide.
I'm overweight...but my kids aren't....but you're actually saying that I won't starve because I'm already overweight? yuck

Jwink

Kudos to Disney chef George Hansen! He was furloughed collecting a full salary for weeks. He decided to volunteer 40 - 50 hours a week to cook food at an Orlando mission. Giving back using his talents!
You seem to take some sort of issue with people being paid to stay home...My husband is not turning his nose up at the fact that he was paid for some weeks....but he'd much rather have a job and the security it comes with....

Lilofan

You seem to take some sort of issue with people being paid to stay home...My husband is not turning his nose up at the fact that he was paid for some weeks....but he'd much rather have a job and the security it comes with....
Way off base. Giving back to the community is a very satisfying feeling, from personal experience. If more people get involved and donate their time, talents and energy, this world would be a better place.

Lilofan

This is important to reiterate. An N95 mask will only work if you are properly fitted. When properly fitted they make it somewhat difficult to breath.

Any mask that isn't annoying to wear won't protect you and could make you more at risk. When wearing a surgical mask for a long time it causes people to adjust it or remove it when not around people. This leads to more interaction between your hands and face which increases you risk of transmission through surface contact.

It also gives you a false sense if security that can cause you to lapse on staying 6 ft or more away from people which is important to try and stick to.
Painters I know use N95 masks for several hours a day doing their jobs. They have no issues.

DisneyCane

In thinking about the way this virus spreads, especially related to asymptomatic spread a couple of thoughts occurred to me. In Florida, Orange county has relatively fewer cases compared to similar sized counties (population wise) in southeast FL. Orange has about 0.6 cases per 1000 residents while Broward has 1.22 cases per 1000 residents and Palm Beach County has 0.83 cases per 1000. Osceola is about 0.79 but far less populated.

With all of the travel and crowded theme parks (Broward and Palm Beach don't have anything similar to WDW or Universal in that respect) and given the number of front line employees at those parks, I would expect a lot higher case density due to the way the travelers and crowds should have "seeded" the front line employees. Not to mention the locals that were in attendance as well.

Another place I looked at is Texas. Texas has the 13th lowest case density among US States and hasn't had a significant outbreak in the major metropolitan areas (only 10k cases total). The reason I was thinking about Texas is that both Dallas-Ft. Worth and Houston George Bush International are (were) very busy and crowded hub airports. Similar to front line employees at Orlando area theme parks, there are many front line employees at those airports but, more importantly many flight attendants are based in the Dallas and Houston metropolitan areas. Each flight attendant comes into close contact with 40-50 passengers on each flight. I would have expected similar community "seeding" from these flight attendants.

The initial guidance from the experts was that the primary way the virus spread was through prolonged, close contact with an infected person or through surface contamination and transfer. Now there are all kinds of suggestions of widespread transmission by asymptomatic patients simply talking to people.

The examples of the Orlando, Dallas and Houston metropolitan areas lead me to believe that whether asymptomatic or symptomatic, transmission requires prolonged, close contact or surface contamination. If brief interactions with patients who didn't cough or sneeze during the interaction were highly contagious, I would expect front line theme park employees and airline flight attendants to be infected at a very high rate. The current data of outbreak geographic areas suggests otherwise.

I'm not saying the virus isn't more contagious than things like the flu. However, the picture being presented by some is that it spreads like wildfire if you are briefly close to an infected person, no matter if they are symptomatic or asymptomatic.

The worst outbreak in the country, by far is centered around the New York City metropolitan area. This area is both very densely populated AND has high usage mass transit where people are packed together for a prolonged period and touch a lot of surfaces.

California didn't get nearly as bad as New York despite the congested metropolitan areas. Maybe some of the differences between California and New York would provide some insight into how it spreads. While California locked down a few days earlier, I expect that the virus was seeded there earlier due to the sizable Asian population leading to more travel between California and Asian countries (including China prior to the ban). Hmm. Maybe the China travel ban did have a big impact??? Especially in light of the study that the New York outbreak was seeded by Europe. If not for the ban, would California have had an outbreak like New York? Just some random thoughts popping into my head as I type.

Just my morning thoughts about how the virus spreads that I woke up with spinning in my head...

DisneyCane

Painters I know use N95 masks for several hours a day doing their jobs. They have no issues.
I probably should have worded it differently. I didn't mean difficulty breathing in the sense that you feel like you will suffocate. I mean that for the mask to work, breathing will feel different than without one because the air flow has to be restricted. With a surgical mask you won't notice any difference when inhaling. The only thing you might notice is the area around your nose and mouth being warmer and more moist than without it and some muffling of your voice. An N95 you will notice a difference inhaling if it is sealed to your face properly. You also shouldn't be able to smell most scents.

Lilofan

One suggestion to help out the 77K WDW cast members soon to be furloughed is this. Drain all the loose change WDW wishing well bodies of water ( ie Echo Lake at DHS as an example ), and clean up the change. The thousands of dollars that get collected get split evenly to the cast members impacted except the cast that are essential staff and continue to work at home or on scene. Anyone that turns away $$, I will be more than happy to accept their share.

JoeCamel

One suggestion to help out the 77K WDW cast members soon to be furloughed is this. Drain all the loose change WDW wishing well bodies of water ( ie Echo Lake at DHS as an example ), and clean up the change. The thousands of dollars that get collected get split evenly to the cast members impacted except the cast that are essential staff and continue to work at home or on scene. Anyone that turns away $$, I will be more than happy to accept their share.
I believe that money is donated to GKtW as Universal does. Hope they clean up FoP queue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom