Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaryJaneP

Regarding the numbers being thrown about during this discussion of how WDW may respond to the coronavirus closure, we are reminded of the Samuel Clemens/Mark Twain quote in which he basically graded mistruths as lies, damn lies, or statistics.

Kevin_W

Finally. Alot of the projected numbers from the site didn't align with what was being reported on the ground.

Hopefully the downward trend continues and we can begin to open things back up in May, with the understanding that social distancing measures should be strongly encouraged and that individuals who are high risk, should continue to take caution.

I screenshotted the before and after change of that particular model. It's a pretty dramatic and favorable shift, with a much earlier peak and 40% fewer hospital beds needed.
1586181312110.png

1586181342190.png

The Mom

Premium Member
I’m glad we’re having the same “who cares about a bunch of old people dying“ discussion. They would have died anyway. Blah, blah, blah. Everyone is entitled to an opinion no matter how cold and callous but it’s all been said before so why keep repeating it over and over and over...unless the goal is to get a rise out of people.

Exactly - There is no reason to continue the "woulda, shoulda, coulda" argument over and over. It doesn't get anywhere, and people have made up their minds - so all those who continue are just talking to themselves. History will give us the answers - maybe. There are still debates going on about other pandemics.

Those who continue are just irritating others - including me.

This thread has been kept open to give people a place to share new information, do a bit of chit chat about how we're dealing with this. But discussions about whether or not our sacrifices - some more than others - are worth it will not be allowed.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
This may be a ridiculous question, but I'm wondering what are the odds Haunted Mansion stays closed for a while after the park reopens? It dawned on me yesterday that an attraction making light of death may be a bit inappropriate for a while. If some of the other indoor attractions are closed I suspect it could go down with those.
No I dont think so. There was similar talk about Tower of Terror following 9-11.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This may be a ridiculous question, but I'm wondering what are the odds Haunted Mansion stays closed for a while after the park reopens? It dawned on me yesterday that an attraction making light of death may be a bit inappropriate for a while. If some of the other indoor attractions are closed I suspect it could go down with those.
I hope not. It’s a fun, not really scary vibe. If they had a ride/attraction based on a pandemic or virus outbreak that may be considered a little too soon.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Wonder if the other insurers will follow?

"U.S. insurer Allstate Corp said on Monday that it would return more than $600 million in auto insurance premiums to customers as many Americans stay home and drive less due to “shelter-in-place” orders to curb the coronavirus outbreak.

Most customers will receive a “payback” of 15% of their monthly premium in April and May, the company said."

Club Cooloholic

Seaworld CEO resigns -

SeaWorld is taking this tougher than a lot of other parks. When Universal or MK are shut that's it...but when you have live animals like SeaWorld and AK you have lots of expenses feeding and cleaning habitats.

Lilofan

That Twister ride at Universal kept operating. Made us relive hurricane nightmares.

nycdrew

I just read your article, “Latest COVID-19 models move the peak impacts in Florida to mid-April as Disney continues to look towards reopening”. I am really concerned about these types of posts especially from a group as respected as WDWMagic. I encourage people to remember that these are all “models” and they are frequently changing. It is also important to remember that what comes up and peaks needs to come down. I am concerned with these types of postings that people are not getting the true nature of this pandemic or the road back to some type of resumption of normalcy. This “model” is based off of current behavior. If people start behaving differently, the model will change yet again. As much as I am hoping that we can resume our trips to Disney as soon as possible, the Disney company as well as us all have a responsibility of addressing our entire population at this time...both in the US and globally.

Notes from Neverland

I'd think the only reason it would be closed would be until they figure out a way to prevent the mass of people cramming into the area before boarding the ride vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom