Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

celluloid

I believe what they're saying, that there are not enough tests available and that the ones they have are not 100% reliable.

Maybe some of these billionaires who are buying questionable masks and obsolete sleep apnea machines on Alibaba and flying them around should try to fund research and development instead.

Universal Executives did just that. They donated their salaries to research and development needs.

21stamps

Exactly. Even when the parks were crowded I’ve never been within 6 feet of people on hiking trails in a state or national park. I can’t imagine walking a hiking trail has a major risk.

Yes we want to be careful, but we shouldn’t be expected to remain in solitary confinement for a month... that’s not healthy at all.

I think people are not looking outside of their own situations when talking about or excusing such rules.

How many people live in apartments or condos without a yard, or a tiny yard? How many are cooped up inside with kids?
How much depression will set in if someone is confined to their home and not allowed to leave?

It is absolutely ridiculous and cruel to demand that people not leave their home. Other countries can do it, but it shouldn’t happen here.
Some governors realize this and are purposely leaving state parks open in order for people to get out for exercise and nature.

Think of the impact of not working, not going for fresh air, just completely in solitary confinement or kids in that kind of confinement.

I have a good friend who lives in Italy, she’s obviously confined.. she lives alone, she’s trying to make the best of it by having coffee via video chat etc.. but even she goes out to the store just to be able to leave her home.

ImperfectPixie

I think people are not looking outside of their own situations when talking about or excusing such rules.

How many people live in apartments or condos without a yard, or a tiny yard? How many are cooped up inside with kids?
How much depression will set in if someone is confined to their home and not allowed to leave?

It is absolutely ridiculous and cruel to demand that people not leave their home. Other countries can do it, but it shouldn’t happen here.
Some governors realize this and are purposely leaving state parks open in order for people to get out for exercise and nature.

Think of the impact of not working, not going for fresh air, just completely in solitary confinement or kids in that kind of confinement.

I have a good friend who lives in Italy, she’s obviously confined.. she lives alone, she’s trying to make the best of it by having coffee via video chat etc.. but even she goes out to the store just to be able to leave her home.
Then talk to the people who are breaking the rules. Seriously. More and more things are needing to be shuttered because as things close, people are finding other areas to congregate in and are doing so. Don't blame the rule-makers...they're only doing what they have to.

21stamps

Then talk to the people who are breaking the rules. Seriously. More and more things are needing to be shuttered because as things close, people are finding other areas to congregate in and are doing so. Don't blame the rule-makers...they're only doing what they have to.

I can’t talk to the rule breakers, my only communication would be sending words to local or state leaders. Luckily, my leaders realize that the closure of all parks and complete quarantine, would be simply inflicting too much pain and suffering on their already suffering citizens.

Which states/cities are under complete quarantine, no exercise permitted?

ToTBellHop

I can’t talk to the rule breakers, my only communication would be sending words to local or state leaders. Luckily, my leaders realize that the closure of all parks and complete quarantine, would be simply inflicting too much pain and suffering on their already suffering citizens.

Yes, sitting at home playing Nintendo games is DEFINITELY worse that having a picnic with friends and dying.

FFS. Peoples‘ grandparents survived London during blitzkrieg but we can’t handle time at home with our kids.

ImperfectPixie

Well, don't be surprised if it ever becomes necessary. Please don't exaggerate - no one is under complete quarantine and no one is saying "no exercise permitted". Our state and town are shutting down things as it becomes apparent that it is necessary. Playgrounds, parks in which people congregate, etc. are closed. Walking trails are open.

21stamps

Yes, sitting at home playing Nintendo games is DEFINITELY worse that having a picnic with friends and dying.

FFS. Peoples‘ grandparents survived London during blitzkrieg but we can’t handle time at home with our kids.

When did a picnic with friends come into the equation of going to a park for exercise?
Is this like a running picnic with a table on wheels?

LittleBuford

I don’t think any country or city is forbidding people to go for walks near their homes. It may not be your preferred form of exercise, but it still does the trick.

21stamps

Well, don't be surprised if it ever becomes necessary. Please don't exaggerate - no one is under complete quarantine and no one is saying "no exercise permitted". Our state and town are shutting down things as it becomes apparent that it is necessary. Playgrounds, parks in which people congregate, etc. are closed. Walking trails are open.

Im not exaggerated. I said our trails and parks are open (not playgrounds).., You had said other places closed the parks and trails because of rule breakers.
I’m happy to hear that’s not really what happened.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Depending on the bank, this isn't always a good situation - many will allow you to defer 3 months of payments, and when the 4th month arrives, 4 months of payments are due, so be sure to read everything before signing anything.

I think its important for people understand for many it's a two part process...
1- deferment
2- payment

They are inter-dependent, but the path taken can vary.

For instance, my bank will allow you to defer payments for a period like you said... but then the new balance is due after the period (vs just extended the mortgage). BUT, if you can't pay -- they have additional programs (payment plans, etc) to help diffuse that lump payment. So while technically it's 'due' -- there are additional ways to tackle how to pay it over time.

21stamps

I don’t think any country or city is forbidding people to go for walks near their homes. It may not be your preferred form of exercise, but it still does the trick.

My preferred exercise has nothing to do with it. My area has paved bike trails all around the city, and it’s a safe place to go out.
However, I realize that not every American has that same situation,, there’s plenty of high rises and inner city families who’s only recreation area would be a park setting.

Even in Europe, you can still go outside if you socially distance. Where are these towns in America under marshal law? I’ve seen no tanks on Broadway.

I don’t know, I asked the same thing.

Frank the Tank

Because people suck at social distancing...and there are some who are purposeful in doing so.

Yes, I mentioned before that too many Americans have unfortunately shown that if you give them an inch in this crisis, they'll take 2 or 3 inches. It's not the majority of Americans, but certainly enough of a critical mass that it ends up defeating any public health goal. That's largely why any attempt at a "halfway" approach to try allow for more individual choices has been followed up with a stricter approach with outright government orders shortly thereafter.

What makes America incredibly strong during normal times - our liberty, freedom, and independent spirit - is unfortunately what also makes us not very well-positioned to deal with times like these where a public health crisis requires a curbing or even outright prohibition of what is ingrained as fundamental in our culture. Putting aside countries like China where the government effectively has complete police power over its citizens, think of places like South Korea where they are an open society but the culture is much more inclined to actually heed public directions to health and safety on their own compared to us.

Our natural instinct in America is to defy restrictions (whether it's from the government, business or overall culture) and freedom in and of itself is deemed to be an absolute principle. In fact, that's how our country was born in the first place and, if anything, we *celebrate* defiance. That's a great thing and we should never change that. Unfortunately, that natural instinct is often at odds with what's effectively required to get this pandemic under control. So, I don't blame people for seeing that tension or even pushing back against it (as I believe that's important for society as a lawyer), but by the same token, there needs to be flexibility to understand that extraordinary times requires extraordinary measures. An inflexible belief that personal freedom always prevails regardless of the circumstances can be just as dangerous in times like these as an inflexible belief in a totalitarian state. That's why the federal and state government units have a lot more powers in a declared emergency situation like now that would otherwise go against what's stated in the Constitution - there's a practical recognition that the only way to preserve freedom in the long-term is to take certain painful actions in the short-term.

John park hopper

I would rather be stuck in my house for a month if it meant this crisis would be shortened. You don't need a park in order to exercise lift weights, run in place, sit ups etc. plenty of ways to get exercise at home don't need a park. Sure it sucks being stuck in the house but I'd rather be in my own house than in a hospital on a ventilator.

Last edited:

21stamps

If you're going to be snarky about it, spell it right ;)
I’m trying to figure out what this convo was about.. lol.. especially if it was all based on something that’s not even happening.

We started with “go for walks, enjoy hikes” and now it’s turning to “please just stay home”
Because people suck at social distancing...and there are some who are purposeful in doing so.
(Forgot to quote this one) Imo that’s completely unrealistic and begging for people to break the rules. Fresh air is mandatory, not everyone lives in suburbia... adults and children need exercise and need to be outside.
It's the rule-breakers that are making it necessary.
Then handle the rule breakers, not all of society. It’s unrealistic, and it’s not healthy
They've tried that approach...and it didn't work.

ImperfectPixie

Yes, I mentioned before that too many Americans have unfortunately shown that if you give them an inch in this crisis, they'll take 2 or 3 inches. It's not the majority of Americans, but certainly enough of a critical mass that it ends up defeating any public health goal. That's largely why any attempt at a "halfway" approach to try allow for more individual choices has been followed up with a stricter approach with outright government orders shortly thereafter.

What makes America incredibly strong during normal times - our liberty, freedom, and independent spirit - is unfortunately what also makes us not very well-positioned to deal with times like these where a public health crisis requires a curbing or even outright prohibition of what is ingrained as fundamental in our culture. Putting aside countries like China where the government effectively has complete police power over its citizens, think of places like South Korea where they are an open society but the culture is much more inclined to actually heed public directions to health and safety on their own compared to us.

Our natural instinct in America is to defy restrictions (whether it's from the government, business or overall culture) and freedom in and of itself is deemed to be an absolute principle. In fact, that's how our country was born in the first place and, if anything, we *celebrate* defiance. That's a great thing and we should never change that. Unfortunately, that natural instinct is often at odds with what's effectively required to get this pandemic under control. So, I don't blame people for seeing that tension or even pushing back against it (as I believe that's important for society as a lawyer), but by the same token, there needs to be flexibility to understand that extraordinary times requires extraordinary measures. An inflexible belief that personal freedom always prevails regardless of the circumstances can be just as dangerous in times like these as an inflexible belief in a totalitarian state. That's why the federal and state government units have a lot more powers in a declared emergency situation like now that would otherwise go against what's stated in the Constitution - there's a practical recognition that the only way to preserve freedom in the long-term is to take certain painful actions in the short-term.
Very well said.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Depending on the bank, this isn't always a good situation - many will allow you to defer 3 months of payments, and when the 4th month arrives, 4 months of payments are due, so be sure to read everything before signing anything.
You have to check with the servicer of your loan. The bill doesn’t specify how the extra payments will be made. I’ve seen a few of the larger mortgage servicers (Wells Fargo, Chase, BoA) say they will work with customers to determine how the funds would be repaid including options to allow borrowers to extend their mortgage by adding the missed months to the end or opt to make additional payments over a period of months to make up for it. I haven’t seen any banks that said they plan to make the payment due immediately after the 180 days are up, but it’s possible some will. The 3 listed above service more than a third of the mortgages out there.

LittleBuford

My preferred exercise has nothing to do with it. My area has paved bike trails all around the city, and it’s a safe place to go out.
However, I realize that not every American has that same situation,, there’s plenty of high rises and inner city families who’s only recreation area would be a park setting.

One doesn’t need to be in a park to go for a walk. Again, it’s not ideal, but if the aim is exercise and fresh air, a stroll around the block is better than nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom