Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
every time I read the word “complaint” in this thread, I cringe a little. I mean I’m doing my part, staying home, following the order...because I believe it is the right thing to do. But that word doesn’t sit right with me, especially in a historical context.

TrojanUSC

View attachment 460469

Does this look like the type of crowd that will start a riot?

No it looks like a bunch of people that are asking to be hospitalized, frankly.

Posted this article in another thread yesterday but it’s worth sharing here. 60 people went to a choir practice in Washington. They made intense efforts not to hug or shake hands, all used hand sanitizer. 45 of them came down with COVID-19 and two died. For what? A two hour practice session?

21stamps

Exhibit A: Don't be a landlord.

Exactly. Now for everyone who owns property in Florida, currently as a rental. They’ll be paying double mortgages for the next couple of months if their tenant chooses not to/can’t pay. While seeing their own income reduced, and not qualifying for stimulus money.. just bleeding more, only to hope to recover the money later on, which is unlikely.

Lilofan

Exactly. Now for everyone who owns property in Florida, currently as a rental. They’ll be paying double mortgages for the next couple of months if their tenant chooses not to/can’t pay. While seeing their own income reduced, and not qualifying for stimulus money.. just bleeding more, only to hope to recover the money later on, which is unlikely.
I know some in apts that probably can't come up with all the rent $$ even with the 45 day period. It looks like it they want to leave after their lease is up, the landlord will not return their security deposit.

Flugell

The photographs of people gathering together and eating out , presumably for pleasure and not because they need food parcels would potentially cause me to riot in protest for their stupidity and selfishness. Stay home, stay safe, be kind to each other and do not place innocent people at risk by defying orders or requests from mayors or Governors. Sorry from U.K. so have limited understanding of the constitution but have enough respect for the founding fathers to truly believe that if they were around today they would suspend the relevant sections of the constitution. Please, I know it’s hard and that financial constraints are impacting on millions of people but I feel that your government will need to help even more.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
They’ll be paying double mortgages for the next couple of months if their tenant chooses not to/can’t pay.

Maybe. But not necessarily. Each situation is different depending on circumstances.

carolina_yankee

I'm an Episcopal priest and devoted Disney fan - as such, I would love to shower pixie dust over everything. Alas, I can't.

In our weekly Zoom with the Bishop today, he girded us for the reality that we are in this for the long haul. He has already ordered churches closed through May 1 (this is NJ), but the expectation is that will be extended to June and possibly into July. He is connected politically and medically, and he's using information he's getting from medical professionals and scientists.

The tendency for humans is to want to revert to the normal. We are being prepared to pastor in a situation in which that simply isn't going to happen. This is this century's defining moment like WWI, Great Depression, WWII was for the last century. We are going to have to make those levels of sacrifices, cope with those levels of losses, and exercise those levels of generosity, community cohesion, and creativity. We can learn that American ingenuity can get us through this. We can also learn that American individualism will kill us. The decisions we make now have to be based on "what is best for the common good."

The economic toll is going to be horrific. It's going to be horrific if we continue shutdowns for another 2 months or more. It's going to be horrific if we try "to go back to normal" and face the death and collapse of health care that twill bring. Last week, we hit 1,000 deaths in the US. We will be at 10,000 around Palm Sunday. We will be escalating to 100,000 at some point in May or earlier if we don't take this seriously.

Economic disaster will also create a death toll. We have to gird ourselves for loss, sacrifice, and adaptation to a new way fo being. The question before us is how do we want to go about doing that? The hope before us is that life came back in wonderful and dynamic ways after each of those horrific moments in the 20th century. I have every bit of faith that it will for us, too. But we aren't getting to the promised land without the wandering in the desert, or to Easter without Good Friday.

And I have to say at some point you have to step back from news and Covid threads and go for a walk - waive to another person, chat with a friend - gotta have connection. That's essential. I'm preaching to me on that one.

Dirk

rowrbazzle

This is no surprise to anyone who looked at the projections. The peaks were clearly in mid-April. Even at the end of March, anyone could see it coming (I certainly did) and if they thought we'd be going to church on Easter, there were very... let's say... non-knowing-ful.

The peak hasn't moved. People's wrong suppositions are now faced with that reality.
Everything you just wrote is exactly the opposite of what Dr. Acton is saying on my tv as we speak.

We, in Ohio, have been flattening the curve, we pushed off our peak which is giving hospitals more time to prepare., and now, this new round of “..til May 1st” might still not be enough time, according to her.

The peaks have definitely moved at the state level. Flattening the curve has the effect of spreading it out. In Texas the peaks were early April. Now they're May. It's the same in Virginia. So the infection and death projections have improved, but the apparent need for more time distancing has increased.

Rimmit

It's not deaths per day, it's can you afford to go thru the mcdonalds drive thru? Can you pay the rent this month? Is your cell phone bill shut off for non payment. Did you end up having domestic issues in your house from being cooped up... those are the things it will take and trust me.. all of that and worse is coming.

The reason why deaths/day is such a strong motivation to stay at home is that it quantifies what is happening and it is also to some degree a quantifiable “fear factor”. The urge to break out and riot can be quelled by fear.

The fear of not being able to pay your bills or be beaten from domestic abuse can be overridden by a fear of death. The fear of death is one of the strongest motivators a human can have and it is one of the primary motivators keeping people at home at this time. If the government was locking down the US for a disease that had a minimal death rate, and was killing at best 5 people per day at it’s peak, you can bet there would be riots. There is no way the public would tolerate it. I sure wouldn’t.

The government loses a lot of the power to keep people in line as this death rate drops, because the amount of fear drops. That’s why the death rate is important. Without death the government only has a bark and no bite.

21stamps

Maybe. But not necessarily. Each situation is different depending on circumstances.

Sure you could defer for a few months and then pay at that time. The result is the same either way

Josh Hendy

I'm not a lawyer so I need help with this ... does one ALSO have a constitutional right to emergency health care and immunity from prosecution and lawsuits if one gets sick or spreads a life threatening disease through reckless behavior? Asking for a friend.
Screenshot_20200402-174128_Samsung Internet.jpg

21stamps

I'm an Episcopal priest and devoted Disney fan - as such, I would love to shower pixie dust over everything. Alas, I can't.

In our weekly Zoom with the Bishop today, he girded us for the reality that we are in this for the long haul. He has already ordered churches closed through May 1 (this is NJ), but the expectation is that will be extended to June and possibly into July. He is connected politically and medically, and he's using information he's getting from medical professionals and scientists.

The tendency for humans is to want to revert to the normal. We are being prepared to pastor in a situation in which that simply isn't going to happen. This is this century's defining moment like WWI, Great Depression, WWII was for the last century. We are going to have to make those levels of sacrifices, cope with those levels of losses, and exercise those levels of generosity, community cohesion, and creativity. We can learn that American ingenuity can get us through this. We can also learn that American individualism will kill us. The decisions we make now have to be based on "what is best for the common good."

The economic toll is going to be horrific. It's going to be horrific if we continue shutdowns for another 2 months or more. It's going to be horrific if we try "to go back to normal" and face the death and collapse of health care that twill bring. Last week, we hit 1,000 deaths in the US. We will be at 10,000 around Palm Sunday. We will be escalating to 100,000 at some point in May or earlier if we don't take this seriously.

Economic disaster will also create a death toll. We have to gird ourselves for loss, sacrifice, and adaptation to a new way fo being. The question before us is how do we want to go about doing that? The hope before us is that life came back in wonderful and dynamic ways after each of those horrific moments in the 20th century. I have every bit of faith that it will for us, too. But we aren't getting to the promised land without the wandering in the desert, or to Easter without Good Friday.

And I have to say at some point you have to step back from news and Covid threads and go for a walk - waive to another person, chat with a friend - gotta have connection. That's essential. I'm preaching to me on that one.

Dirk

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I know this is tough on priests and pastors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom