Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
pretty lame reporting on some of those topics... like the carrier story. The captain likely didn't get removed because of his letter... but because someone (we assume him or someone through him) leaked it to the press.

Oops, meant to link this instead...

Frank the Tank

Your example is because the mention of speech was determined to mean political or religious speech not "say anything you want." The part about exercise of religion and freedom to assemble are explicit. An infected person can be prevented from attending via quarantine but you can't restrict the service because someone might be infected and might spread it.

I don't think that churches should have services right now but I do think that if they challenged the constitutionality of the restriction they would win.

I'm an attorney. No, the churches likely wouldn't win.

Think of fire codes that limit the number of people in a building. Those fire codes apply regardless of why people might assemble in a building, whether it's for what's widely regarded as highly protected speech (e.g. religious services, political party meetings, etc.) or assemblies that don't have the same type of First Amendment scrutiny (e.g. a concert or sporting event). As long as a fire code is neutral in its application (meaning that it's not *specifically* applying rules to religious institutions that are somehow more discriminatory than any other type of group), then that's going to pass constitutional muster because the government has a compelling interest in the protecting the safety of its citizens that overrides any First Amendment argument for that particular situation. As a result, a religious institution can't argue that the government is infringing upon its freedom to assemble because a fire code restricts the number of people in a church building to 100 people even though 200 people might want to attend a service.

In essence, the orders limiting the number of people gathering in one place that you're seeing across the country are the equivalent of a national fire code. As long as those orders are neutral in their application and not somehow more stringent toward religious groups, they're likely to be held up as constitutional. (To be sure, I certainly believe there will be groups that will attempt to sue on constitutional grounds just on principle, but I doubt they'd get past the motion for summary judgment stage for the reasons that I've stated above.)

21stamps

Failure to read link.

Actually, I read the link, and I’m familiar with the subject itself. I wonder if people realize that deferring money owed isn’t really the same as bringing money in. All it’s doing is pushing it off.. I also wonder if everyone realizes that a lot of bank owned mortgages are not actually FHA or federally backed. 🤷‍♀️

MickeyLuv'r

Your example is because the mention of speech was determined to mean political or religious speech not "say anything you want." The part about exercise of religion and freedom to assemble are explicit. An infected person can be prevented from attending via quarantine but you can't restrict the service because someone might be infected and might spread it.

I don't think that churches should have services right now but I do think that if they challenged the constitutionality of the restriction they would win.
forgive me quoting this exact post...as I think you more clearly expressed your point in other posts, but the courts have ruled multiple times that freedoms can be suspended during a war. READ: Schenck V .United States:

“[w]hen a nation is at war, many things that might be said in times of peace are such a hindrance to its effort that their utterance will not be endured so long as men fight, and that no Court could regard them as protected by any constitutional right.”

During the Civil War, Lincoln suspended telegraph lines, and shut down newspapers. during WWI, we had the Sedition Act of 1918. (people could not criticize the war, or demand an early end, etc.) READ: Debs v. United States

As far as pandemics are concerned, READ Jacobson V. Massachusetts, for a start. Governments have the power to establish laws to control epidemic disease. Elected representatives have the power to enact health laws to protect the common good.

DarkMetroid567

Please let’s not pretend that we would have seen these mass layoffs without government interference.

I don't doubt we would have to some extent. I'm from Vegas, and before any American government interference was happening, we were suffering badly because of the virus. Most hotels under 10% occupancy, which is almost unheard of.

I think a lot of you had too much faith that the economy was going to stay strong. I understand my example of tourism is anecdotal and might not even work for other sectors, but the ripple effect was going to impact us in SOME way. Maybe our economy would have been 50-60% of the losses that we're seeing right now.

celluloid

I have no idea how Sea World reopens when this is all said and done.

It may be a blessing in disguise. Maybe one that will be as good or better leadership. Either way, at most grim, it takes someone who knows they can turn a profit off it and with the stock so low it will be easy to if someone picks it up. Even if it is rough waters they will turn it around to someone that will.

Six Flags will be very interesting as they will likely have the same thing happen and there are so many of those parks who knows what companies will absorb or pick at them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom