Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giss Neric

Something has changed over the past days with this thing...today at the grocery there was a lot of people wearing masks and gloves as opposed to some days ago. I saw more people today wearing masks than I ever had in a hospital pre-Corona.
People are tip toeing now so Disney must be seeing people bailing on their vacations...even if it was in the summer.
See I don't know why people don't wanna wear masks like it's not that really effective for transmission or that masks are for medical workers. You can make your own mask. The purpose is really for you to not touch your face so a mask is there to block it.

celluloid

and back in the day, Dad's weren't even allowed into the delivery room.

And they could smoke cigars in the hospitals.
Even if some people may have somehow never heard the song One Day More, They can still enjoy a video of talented family with funny clever lyrics. Prior knowledge of the song isn’t required.

That was a great metaphorical summary of the park experience of 20 years ago to a lot of it in recent years.

Last edited:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
New data from Spanish study from the Carlos III Health Institute: The report also underlines the key factor of age: nearly 90% of those who died were over the age of 70 (19.8% between 70 and 79, and 68.9% 80 or over).
We just had a 13 year old die in the UK. And a 19 year old before then. Both with no underlying conditions. The percentage is still small but the percentages for the younger age groups are slowly rising as time goes on.

In the next two weeks? I hadn't heard that timeline before.

I know they're not making them up, but those numbers still seem crazy to me. We have 187,000 cases right now. Even at 1.5% mortality we'd need 11.3 million cases to hit the midpoint of that projection for deaths. And that's with distancing...
The UK (our little island) was forecast to have 500,000 dead in a do nothing situation. This was revised down to 250,000 in a do minimal situation. Hopefully we will never know how accurate those predictions were.

Edit; and from the opposite end of the spectrum showing that this attack is so unpredictable :

From the BBC

“Man, 93, becomes oldest Indian to beat coronavirus
Amid all the doom and gloom coronavirus updates, it's always nice to read of those who have beaten the odds - especially when they fall into a vulnerable category.
In India's Kerala state, a 93-year-old man and his 88-year-old wife have both recovered from Covid-19 and will be discharged from hospital in a few days, officials say.
The elderly couple's recovery has made headlines across the country, where it's been hailed by medical professionals since both also suffered from age-related problems.
The man also has hypertension and diabetes - underlying conditions which have caused fatal complications in many cases across the world.
Doctors told BBC Hindi's Imran Qureshi that the 98-year-old man's condition deteriorated briefly, prompting them to put him on a ventilator for 24 hours, before he staged a remarkable recovery”

Last edited:

Bartattack

We just had a 13 year old die in the UK. And a 19 year old before then. Both with no underlying conditions. The percentage is still small but the percentages for the younger age groups are slowly rising as time goes on.

Yep, we had a 12 year old girl die yesterday in Belgium. Also no underlying conditions. 3 days of high fever and then her condition got worse... it's an exception, but tell that to her parents.

Stripes

In the next two weeks? I hadn't heard that timeline before.

I know they're not making them up, but those numbers still seem crazy to me. We have 187,000 cases right now. Even at 1.5% mortality we'd need 11.3 million cases to hit the midpoint of that projection for deaths. And that's with distancing...
Here’s the University of Washington projections of total deaths in the U.S. I understand this projection, which is updated daily as new data comes in, is the primary model being used by the White House. You can see there’s a rather wide range of possible fatalities. I’ve selected April 14 to give the projected range on that date.
68304B38-C59E-465B-9942-D394F6C4FCCC.png

You can interact with the national and state-level projections using the website below.

Jon81uk

See I don't know why people don't wanna wear masks like it's not that really effective for transmission or that masks are for medical workers. You can make your own mask. The purpose is really for you to not touch your face so a mask is there to block it.

A mask causes you to touch your face more, putting the mask on and off, adjusting it etc. They do not help with blocking you touching eyes/nose/mouth.
The purpose of a simple surgeons mask is to stop spit droplets leaving your mouth, so are only useful in this case on people already infected. A properly fitted N95 mask will stop droplets entering your mouth/nose but if fitted properly will be uncomfortable for long periods. Its also easy to touch your eyes still.
Keeping 2m (6-8ft) from other people and not going out if you are showing symptoms is far better and easier.

Lilofan

Why? They’re not there to deal with serious illness. People who need to see a doctor can be transported by Reedy Creek Emergency Services to AdventHealth Celebration.
People are getting crazy now about everything corona. Does one think they can turn that switch off once one is at Disney World? How many ambulances can transport guests to the hospital of just a small percentage of a 20K attendance of the park needs to call for one?

Last edited:

zengoth

I think in this current corona and hopefully soon to be post corona world that when the theme parks open up again Disney will probably be reactive and looking for vacant space to make a bigger first aid location. The first aid locations at DHS and Epcot can barely fit a number of people seeking medical attention. With guests more aware than before about everything corona, there could be a possibility that the current first aid stations when the parks open could be overwhelmed with guests.
Each park could have its own medical center themed to proper IP! with character interaction (at a distance)! I think the Stars Wars theme medical bay would be a huge hit. :rolleyes:

Calmdownnow

isn’t the free dining promotion only for people who had to cancel due to Disney being closed? I took the news as Disney trying to ward off complaints from the “I deserve x,y&z for free!!... and 8 additional FPs.. because your closure made an unmagical time in my life!”
I suspect that Disney has never thought they would be opening in this time period and that the announcement of the offer was simply a way of trying to gauge how strong their market of "committed" customers is likely to be when they are able to open up. This will give them data on how many resorts they may need to open up and how many they can afford to mothball. If the numbers are low -- even with a free dining offer -- they can adjust prospective staffing levels and their financial projections accordingly.

Lilofan

Each park could have its own medical center themed to proper IP! with character interaction (at a distance)! I think the Stars Wars theme medical bay would be a huge hit. :rolleyes:
Actually the first aid areas at the theme parks are quite sterile. WDI can better dream up a nicer area.

Polynesia

There’s an actual poll on the main page:

Only 12% of respondents plan to return to the parks as soon as they are open....and this is a Disney fan board.
The results are a bit misleading. If you read the posts connected to that poll you can see the various reasons why people answered like they did. Many have trips planned in the future already so they answered truthfully when they were going. Others had work limitations. Not too many posts said it was because of the virus. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out over the next few months.

Lilofan

The results are a bit misleading. If you read the posts connected to that poll you can see the various reasons why people answered like they did. Many have trips planned in the future already so they answered truthfully when they were going. Others had work limitations. Not too many posts said it was because of the virus. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out over the next few months.
I know whether if I am employed or not, when I see many suffering, higher than more unemployment rates and a virus that has no vaccine, the last thing on my mind is to spend money on vacations or support the discretionary spending market. Survivors guilt?

Polynesia

I know whether if I am employed or not, when I see many suffering, higher than more unemployment rates and a virus that has no vaccine, the last thing on my mind is to spend money on vacations or support the discretionary spending market. Survivors guilt?
Perhaps. It’s a very personal decision. Everyone feels differently. I’m sure many feel as you do and others feel the need to bring a little enjoyment in their lives after such a trying time.

Patcheslee

TE="Polynesia, post: 9141760, member: 136022"]
Perhaps. It’s a very personal decision. Everyone feels differently. I’m sure many feel as you do and others feel the need to bring a little enjoyment in their lives after such a trying time.
[/QUOTE]
Personally it's about looking forward to something positive when we get past this. I don't care if it's just getting to go to a playground again, or kids playing with their friends. It ends at some point and it's keeping me sane while being homebound on my days off.

DisneyCane

A mask causes you to touch your face more, putting the mask on and off, adjusting it etc. They do not help with blocking you touching eyes/nose/mouth.
The purpose of a simple surgeons mask is to stop spit droplets leaving your mouth, so are only useful in this case on people already infected. A properly fitted N95 mask will stop droplets entering your mouth/nose but if fitted properly will be uncomfortable for long periods. Its also easy to touch your eyes still.
Keeping 2m (6-8ft) from other people and not going out if you are showing symptoms is far better and easier.
This is important to reiterate. An N95 mask will only work if you are properly fitted. When properly fitted they make it somewhat difficult to breath.

Any mask that isn't annoying to wear won't protect you and could make you more at risk. When wearing a surgical mask for a long time it causes people to adjust it or remove it when not around people. This leads to more interaction between your hands and face which increases you risk of transmission through surface contact.

It also gives you a false sense if security that can cause you to lapse on staying 6 ft or more away from people which is important to try and stick to.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom