Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyCane

In the next two weeks? I hadn't heard that timeline before.

I know they're not making them up, but those numbers still seem crazy to me. We have 187,000 cases right now. Even at 1.5% mortality we'd need 11.3 million cases to hit the midpoint of that projection for deaths. And that's with distancing...
I think the issue based on the analysis is that this virus must have been spreading undetected in the NYC metropolitan area since early February. When they showed the per 100,000 population infections chart it was shocking how much higher NY and NJ were than anywhere else. I think that's why the fatality projections with distancing are so high because that area has such a high concentration of cases.

Dr. Fauci did contradict himself a little first saying that the 100,000-200,000 number was with mitigation but then saying that hopefully if we put the pedal to the metal we can push it down below that range.

monykalyn

This is my 4th infusion (2 more to go) so I pretty much know the drill, but thanks, My cancer markers have gone from 4000+ in November to 20 now, so it has all been worth it.
glad it went well! And happy you felt safe too!
Don’t care if this is off topic but good news is good news! Hope you continue to do well!
And we adopted a puppy right after christmas- his name is Nemo :).

21stamps

Thank you for the clarification. Very much appreciated.

Think you missed the point about the free dining and bookings and I apologize for not being clearer. The point regarding bookings was that hotel discounts and incentives are typically brought out when bookings are weak. You believe that the parks will be packed if they were open, but, as I am sure you are aware, typically Disney rolls out the free dining when bookings are weak. Not strong.

isn’t the free dining promotion only for people who had to cancel due to Disney being closed? I took the news as Disney trying to ward off complaints from the “I deserve x,y&z for free!!... and 8 additional FPs.. because your closure made an unmagical time in my life!”

Last edited:

ImperfectPixie

I think the issue based on the analysis is that this virus must have been spreading undetected in the NYC metropolitan area since early February. When they showed the per 100,000 population infections chart it was shocking how much higher NY and NJ were than anywhere else. I think that's why the fatality projections with distancing are so high because that area has such a high concentration of cases.

Dr. Fauci did contradict himself a little first saying that the 100,000-200,000 number was with mitigation but then saying that hopefully if we put the pedal to the metal we can push it down below that range.
I don’t think that was a contradiction at all. They know people aren’t doing what they’re supposed to, and if a large portion of them change their behavior, it will change that number.

21stamps

I don’t think that was a contradiction at all. They know people aren’t doing what they’re supposed to, and if a large portion of them change their behavior, it will change that number.

People will go from not infected, to infected and dead, within the next 2 weeks?

ImperfectPixie

My mistake. I thought the conversation was referring to this interpretation of the conference today, shown in the following post-
It was in regards to the wording regarding those numbers and putting the pedal to the metal. He wasn’t very clear, but he and Dr. Birx were stressing that we need to do better to reduce those numbers of projected deaths.

Nemo14

Of course it is. We discuss changes and we all have opinions. That’s what makes it a discussion board and not the “everything at Disney is magic” board.

And most of the negativity stems from a love of what Disney was, compared to what it has become
My husband was in the military. Happens all the time.
and back in the day, Dad's weren't even allowed into the delivery room.

21stamps

Informative article on how Ohio’s Governor was the most proactive in the USA...

As the coronavirus outbreak barrels throughout the US, states have scrambled to get ahead of its spread, often after weeks of inaction. But one governor imposed sweeping measures days before a single case had been reported in his state.

At the podium for Tuesday's daily coronavirus press briefing, Republican Ohio Governor Mike DeWine provides the latest on the virus's march through his state - 2,199 cases, 55 deaths, 585 hospitalisations.

His announcements are peppered with "thank yous" and mild "just-a-reminders", encouraging continued social distancing. He holds printed notes, shuffling the papers occasionally, staring down at them frequently. He doesn't speak in platitudes, but in detail, taking time to dictate every letter and character in the state's coronavirus web address.

It's a stark contrast from his New York counterpart Andrew Cuomo, whose own daily briefings have become a staple of the US coronavirus news cycle.

But while the lesser known Mr DeWine, 73, may lack the media attention of Mr Cuomo, he is drawing praise for his early moves against the virus, at a time when much of the US was still playing catch up.

On 5 March, after resistance from organisers, Mr DeWine got a court order to shut down much of the Arnold Sports Festival - an annual event featuring 20,000 athletes from 80 countries, around 60,000 spectators each day, and an expected $53m for Columbus, the state's largest city.

The state had yet to report a single case.

The above text is just an excerpt..

Phil12

and back in the day, Dad's weren't even allowed into the delivery room.
Doctors, more often than not, always try to keep the Dad busy. In the old days it was Dad's responsibility to boil plenty of water! In my experience, the doctor always told me it would be hours before the birth and suggested I go get something to eat. I was fooled three times by that ruse!

DVCakaCarlF

Doctors, more often than not, always try to keep the Dad busy. In the old days it was Dad's responsibility to boil plenty of water! In my experience, the doctor always told me it would be hours before the birth and suggested I go get something to eat. I was fooled three times by that ruse!
There’s nothing a man can do right in a delivery room for his wife...it’s not enjoyable, but I’ll never admit it. Best part is it being over and holding/watching the baby and your wife.

DisneyDoctor

It looks like there were two separate points made in today's briefing that got combined into one thing. Because, well, these things happen in following a White House briefing.

A. The next two weeks are going to be horrible. So everyone needs to do their part and stay home. Trumps comments were: "This could be a hell of a bad two weeks. This is going to be a very bad two or maybe even three weeks. This is going to be three weeks like we've never seen before."

B. They are expecting the virus to kill 100,000-240,000. But I think this is the same charts that we've seen before that run through the end of July. Dr. Birx said Dr. Fauci also say this is the number that still can be brought down with effective social distancing.
Maybe this is assumed by most people, but I’ll point it out. The statement “the next 2 weeks are going to be horrible” is a reflection of our behavior the last couple days/weeks. There’s not much we can do to stop the next couple weeks from happening, cases and deaths will jump. But, we can continue to behave properly! And, those who haven’t done a good job can start so we can avoid making the already bad situation worse!

DisneyDoctor

There’s an actual poll on the main page:

Only 12% of respondents plan to return to the parks as soon as they are open....and this is a Disney fan board.
That’s actually pretty fascinating. Hard to extrapolate how the average fan would respond. But, I definitely didn’t expect that.

DisneyDoctor

The UW model they keep using has been missing badly on hospitalizations and deaths (the actuals have been coming in lower than the lower range of their projections). They are actualizing the model periodically, but it looks like they're only doing it every 4-5 days. I am hoping the trend continues. Color me cautiously optimistic.
Do we know if they only count deaths in confirmed positive cases? I ask because that number doesn’t reflect actual deaths caused by covid. There are many “influenza-like illness” deaths.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Their lives still matter.

I don't think he's saying that they don't matter. As the cases die down though and we start returning to normal, how do we protect those who are most at risk and continue to support them with social distancing until there is a vaccine? That way less people have to die because of this stupid virus while not confining everyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom