Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Yup, and 23 currently dead in Florida from coronavirus.

Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 7.58.50 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-03-26 at 7.58.59 PM.png

The rest of the data hasn't been updated for tonight

techgeek

While true, the reality is governors in low density states felt enormous pressure to do lockdown and shut downs because the media ramped up the hysteria to very high levels. I think early one the governor of Oklahoma was chastised for sending out a self of his family having dinner with friends, and this was guy in a state had probably had more cases of the flu in one county than they did of the coronavirus in the entire state. In the early days it was a low risk state but my aunt that lives there explained how after the media dog piled on him for daring to eat out that he suddenly shut things down.

Common sense was missing this this thing first hit with the world refusing to cut off all travel to China... and then when it does start ramping up common sense is also missing with some places going overboard.

Gov. Cuomo is getting slightly mid-interpreted here as well... he’s implying that not only is there a balance to be found going forward in regards to the push / pull of the economy, he’s also acknowledging that you can’t apply the same policies to NYC that you apply to rural NY. Just like this OK example.

Jwink

Source: Blog Mickey

I know this is a few hours old but is this accurate? Sorry if it’s been discussed.

I truly have no idea what they are doing.

It’s 100% accurate... and I have no idea what they’re doing either. Theories I have:

a) they’re going to furlough everyone so that they have to file unemployment
B) they’re going to go down the chain with huge lay offs and thin out employees by the 10’s of thousands
C) they were waiting to see what this stimulus package means for them...and then deciding what to do.

I would hope they’d do what universal did... but who knows. It’s literally 4 days away and they have ‘nothing new to share’. It’s maddening

mikejs78

Premium Member
. If you assume that for every confirmed case, there are two others who a) couldn't get tested b) asymptomatic, or c) just self-quarantined due to mild symptoms
And the basis for those assumptions are....? Also death rates have tended to rise exponentially, not linearly, so it's far too early to tell.

Jwink

Someone just came up with another scenario and it makes a lot of sense:

They were waiting to see what this stimulus package will be doing and then furlough all the union employees. I am freaking out

TrojanUSC

It’s 100% accurate... and I have no idea what they’re doing either. Theories I have:

a) they’re going to furlough everyone so that they have to file unemployment
B) they’re going to go down the chain with huge lay offs and thin out employees by the 10’s of thousands
C) they were waiting to see what this stimulus package means for them...and then deciding what to do.

I would hope they’d do what universal did... but who knows. It’s literally 4 days away and they have ‘nothing new to share’. It’s maddening

I would bet the CMs get one more extension of pay through the 19th or so, then after they they will be looking at heavy furloughs and labor reduction.

Josh Hendy

Q
I saw on a news program that the people that have tested postive for COVID-19 and have mild symptoms, mostly report that they have a sinus headache as one of their only symptoms. I been having one every day for a week and so has my husband...allergies or coronavirus? 🤨
Maybe you have a hotline in your area you can call, otherwise your family doctor if you have one.

I had sinus headaches for the past week but I frequently get them in the spring when tree pollen starts so I'm not worried. If that kind of headache is unusual for you, if you can't get a test done and you're not already self isolating I think it might be prudent to do so.

Calmdownnow

To be honest, I’m not interested in right or wrong around here. I’m more interested in listening to what Dr. Birx says. She has impressed me since the beginning and seems to be very data driven. She knows her stuff. Very level headed.
I would have agreed until today. Today something was definitely off...Can't put my finger on it, but there was something about the delivery/body language or whatever that seemed out of kilter, less trust-enhancing.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Someone just came up with another scenario and it makes a lot of sense:

They were waiting to see what this stimulus package will be doing and then furlough all the union employees. I am freaking out
Stimulus vote in House tomorrow. Slam dunk to pass. Passed Senate 96-0. You will know one way or the other tomorrow if that’s the hold up. I hope for your sake you find out tomorrow and its good news :)

Lilofan

Ah, so no link for a recommendation of federal directives to shut this country down for a month or more.
I’ll save myself from a fruitless search.
Dr Fauci interview with Chris Cuomo 3/25/20 Wed night , Happy reading!! If you googled his actual quote to the press you would find it instead of a fruitless search. You can do the honors.

Hcalvert

Q

Maybe you have a hotline in your area you can call, otherwise your family doctor if you have one.

I had sinus headaches for the past week but I frequently get them in the spring when tree pollen starts so I'm not worried. If that kind of headache is unusual for you, if you can't get a test done and you're not already self isolating I think it might be prudent to do so.
I'm a teacher and went to WDW in late January, so I am fairly certain I have been exposed. I've been in insolation since March 13 due to having to work from home. The headaches are not unusual for me due to allergies, but my husband, who's a school bus driver, doesn't usually have allergies. We're in our 30s, so testing us is not a priority and shouldn't be if that is all the symptoms we're exhibiting right now. My sons are not exhibiting symptoms (one works at the grocery store). We've been taking precautions with them.

Flynnwriter

Where are you reading this misinformation? I haven't noticed anybody in this thread say that SARS-CoV-2 (the specific coronavirus) WAS the flu or any other virus. The comparisons to the flu have been in number of cases and deaths and comparing (or trying to) the mortality rates.

I don't think the research says the species jump comes from eating the meat of the wild animals (bats aren't particularly rare or exotic). I think it's more from the unsanitary conditions. My thought is that when you have bat blood spraying around and puddling on the ground mixed with who knows what else, it presents an opportunity for something that has infected the bat to be aerosolized and inhaled by a human. A stroke of bad luck virus mutation that allows it to infect human cells and you have a novel virus. Proper sanitary handling and cooking of these meats would likely prevent this from happening.
Unsanitary conditions play into it, but exotic animal consumption and keeping of these animals in kitchen is the source.

Calmdownnow

Neil Ferguson (who was in charge of the original Imperial model that suggested we could have rolling quarantines for over a year) said that the virus spreads much faster than their initial models projected, meaning that there are both far more current infections than they expected and far more people have already had it and recovered. That would also mean a corresponding decrease in the mortality rate. Their new model also suggested the UK will have it's peak in total cases in the next couple of weeks.
Yet on Monday, the UK National Health Service messaged (text or e-mail) 1.5 million people with existing health conditions and their co-resident family members telling them to prepare to be socially locked-down for the next 12 weeks. The suggestion is that the threat to the broader population may ease in a matter of weeks, but the threat of infection passing to a large number of vulnerable members of the community will continue for much longer.

lazyboy97o

Re: Andrew Cuomo... I bet 99% of mayors, county commissioners, governors are constantly second guessing their actions on a regular basis these days. That's what those quotes read to me, someone who is acknowledging his own fallibility. That doesn't necessarily mean that they would have chosen differently, or that their actions were wrong. We're all operating without a roadmap, acknowledgement of such means he's human.
It was literally a day or two before he ordered the lockdown that Cuomo told The Daily, The New York Times’ podcast, that he would not issue a shelter-in-place order nor would he approve one by a local government because he thought it would cause more panic and damage than good. I know it was posted earlier in this thread by someone else, but it is a decent listen.

MuteSuperstar

I saw on another forum that customer service in Orlando area are switching to work from home (due to lockdown rules) . Maybe the delays is so they can set up the calls and computers to work from home

Wow kinda shocked they hadn't done this already. I know it is a logistical nightmare though. One good thing is that companies will be more prepared and less resistant to work from home going forward, one would hope. And hopefully the "open-office concept" goes away because of this.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
We are now on day 5 of mandated curfew (4pm-4am). These are our numbers, as of today:
20200326_175543.jpg

* "Fallecidos" means "Deceased".

I'm not gonna lie, this situation is being hard for everybody over here. I'm sure that this country will take a long time to recover, specially on the economic front.

Of course, this being a democratic nation, there's also a Constitution. Nobody over here is talking about lawsuits or lawyers, people are taking this very seriously and trying to figure out what's best, just as every country is. We (as in the whole World), are all trying to navigate through an uncharted territory.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom