Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shouldigo12

This still feels surreal. I think I still do not fully understand what is going on.
Is there anything specific you have questions about? There are quite a few people here who have a good grasp of what's going on and who can help you with anything you're confused about

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Forgive me for not knowing this (as a non-American), but are flu vaccine's free? If not, how much might you be asked to pay up-front as a co-pay or other charge? Can the millions of people who do not have health insurance receive the vaccine at no cost? If you are on Medicaid, how easy is it to get a vaccine?

Now that the problem of flu deaths has been highlighted by politicians, is there likely to be a health initiative to remove the things that block people from getting a flu vaccine?
Flu vaccine is between $20 and $50 depending on where you go with no insurance. If you have insurance, Medicare or Medicaid it‘s usually free. You can get the shots at pretty much any retail location with a pharmacy or at your doctor’s office.

Calmdownnow

Thanks for this. It of course leads to more questions
[/QU
It does, but a lot of scientists around the globe will be looking very closely at the Icelandic data -- particularly as they can link it into the genetic data already gathered to see if there are specific genetic protections in parts of the genome. The asymptomatic spread also explains why there is so much emphasis on easy to administer anti-body tests to try to determine whether all (or some) communities have large numbers of people who may have at least temporary immunity because they were infected but not made ill. These people may not be infectious and may "return to normal economic life" before others in the workforce. "May" is the operative word of course.

zombiebbq

I am in Bergen County NJ. Google it.

There isn’t any panic anymore. It’s moving into apathy at this point. Lots of people shrugging their shoulders and just hoping for the best. We have been in lockdown for a week already. If the infection rate has slowed I shudder to think what it would have been like without the shutdown.

Our hospitals are already operating at max occupancy, our testing, while more robust is still not even close to enough.

Reading through this thread, and seeing some of the absolutely inane posts is exhausting.

I am in Bergen County too... hello neighbor! 😁 I've recently lost my job because of this craziness unfortunately so sheltering in place is the norm regardless, but today when I went out I was kind of shocked at how many people were out and about, walking around with no worry about the 6 ft distance. Honestly I think this is going to get worse here before it gets better and the restrictions are about to get worse, at least until May.

Timmay

some very smart people out there believe the distancing isn’t going to solve this. Testing for antibodies is the answer in the short term. Vaccines in the long term. We are just delaying the spread by the safe at home and distancing stuff. There are various opinions out there for those that want to look .

thecouch

some very smart people out there believe the distancing isn’t going to solve this. Testing for antibodies is the answer in the short term. Vaccines in the long term. We are just delaying the spread by the safe at home and distancing stuff. There are various opinions out there for those that want to look .
Yep that's the point. Slow it down so hospitals can keep up. Once hospital have enough resources to keep up that's when restriction should be lifted

hopemax

Forgive me for not knowing this (as a non-American), but are flu vaccine's free? If not, how much might you be asked to pay up-front as a co-pay or other charge? Can the millions of people who do not have health insurance receive the vaccine at no cost? If you are on Medicaid, how easy is it to get a vaccine?

Now that the problem of flu deaths has been highlighted by politicians, is there likely to be a health initiative to remove the things that block people from getting a flu vaccine?
In addition to what else has been said.

The Affordable Care Act aka Obamacare, included a provision that health care plans must cover the cost of vaccines including influenza without a copay. However, existing plans were "grandfathered" in and don't have to abide the rule.

21stamps

In addition to what else has been said.

The Affordable Care Act aka Obamacare, included a provision that health care plans must cover the cost of vaccines including influenza without a copay. However, existing plans were "grandfathered" in and don't have to abide the rule.

Wouldn’t the plan have been updated the next year? I honestly don’t know the answer.

21stamps

I don't know what more evidence you need other than the Senate feeling the need to vote through a massive 2 trillion relief package that is geared to supporting workers for many months. Are you saying that they are wasting that sort of money on an emergency that will end by Easter? In the meantime WH emergency response spokespersons (e.g. Peter Navarro) are saying "within a year we will have manufactured 1 million ventilators" -- so why would you need a million by March 2021 if this is going to be over in weeks?

There is nothing that leads me to believe that we will see a federal mandated lockdown. Not the stimulus package, not the daily conferences, not Dr Fauci, absolutely nothing. There is no evidence. Quite the contrary.

Calmdownnow

Once hospital have enough resources to keep up that's when restriction should be lifted
The delay between infection and testing positive may be 14 days. Many people who appear to have the infection are told to self-isolate at home and are not necessarily tested. In some communities, they are tested if they then deteriorate and are admitted to hospital (this may take 4-10 days). Those who then need ventilating are in ICU for 10-21+ days before they either die or recover enough to be moved off ventilators. The time frame for the downturn, but not the end of the surge fits somewhere within that time-frame.

Incomudro

And to expect that to be the case for all households in an entire nation at once is again, laughable.

Remember, symptoms take up to two weeks to appear.

In a household where anyone could potentially be sick with it and not know it, how would this work?

Yet we're expecting - er... requiring an entire nation to virtually lock themselves indoors anyway.
Healthy people.
The weather is getting beautiful, people enjoy their freedom, need their income - and they are going to grow tired of this.
I see it already.

rowrbazzle

Wouldn’t the plan have been updated the next year? I honestly don’t know the answer.

Many plans were updated in one form or another and lost their grandfather status. There was a stink for a bit about a quote from the President saying, "if you like your plan, you can keep it." It turned out that changes to those plans meant they couldn't actually stick around anymore. I can't say how that specifically applies to flu shots. I imagine there aren't many old plans around anymore after 10 years.

Tom Morrow

Observations from final night of driving WDW roads before Orlando lockdown. Most of this hasn't changed in a few days but that was like 300 pages ago.

- Everything in DAK is dark except the parking lot
- DHS is dark except for Tower of Terror, which is still lit up, but the neon Hollywood Tower Hotel sign is off.
- Can't see much of Epcot but Spaceship Earth is still illuminated
- Contemporary exterior lights are off, all resorts are dark and seem to be on required lighting only.
- Space Mountain and Cinderella Castle are still illuminated.
- World Drive by Pluto Park is closed for an unknown reason, probably not for TRON because construction has been halted.
- Heavy security and police vehicle presence on the roads, police now stationed in some entrances.

MrPromey

Yet we're expecting - er... requiring an entire nation to virtually lock themselves indoors anyway.
Healthy people.
The weather is getting beautiful, people enjoy their freedom, need their income - and they are going to grow tired of this.
I see it already.

Not sure what that has to do with self-isolating from your seemingly healthy family when you believe yourself are healthy which is what I was responding about when you responded to me but okay? 👍

For context, since I feel like maybe you're missing it, the original poser was, at the beginging of that exchange pointing out how cases have spiked more than two weeks after the quarantine in Italy went into effect (with kind of a conspiratorial twinge) saying this shouldn't happen if the quarantine was working and my point was, that it could easily be that people who were quarantined together could have and probably did give it to each other - especially if they didn't even know they had it to begin with at the beginning of the quarantine which if true, would mean that things in fact would be much worse if those people had instead been out socializing and spreading it to even more.

Look, I expect to get it. I expect my son to get it. I expect a lot of other people I know to get it, too. I'd just prefer not to be fighting with them and half of central Florida for medical attention at the same time if it's needed in addition the other people who get into bad accidents or get horribly sick that our current medical system was designed to keep up with.

For the record, I can't say I'm particularly happy with what my retirement funds are looking like right now or the prospect of losing my job, either and I'm not a "commie" - I enjoy my freedom, too.

Last edited:

21stamps

And you know this how? Absence of symptoms? Well guess what, it appears that that may not mean you aren't infectious and asymptomatic. Believe it or not, the weather will be beautiful next year. In the meantime, your Congress is trying to maintain your income for the time it takes.

Congress did not make it possible to maintain our income, not for most.. if you are currently a strictly salaried or hourly worker who never lost income during this time, you’ll see a bonus.
If you are lower income and lost your job or furloughed, your unemployment payments + the one time money will almost be equal to your income.

If you are in the upper income level of middle class or lower income level of upper middle class, and you aren’t a salary or hourly employee who didn’t lose income during this time, well, then you’re going to see major impact on your income

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom