Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

techgeek

Yup, and 23 currently dead in Florida from coronavirus.

In a state that has over 200,000 deaths a year and a population of 21 million people.

Well, letā€™s at least get through the first act before we write the Wikipedia summery of the whole story...

But yes, I would say the situation could have called for more nuance.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
For those who missed it, what additional context do I need to interpret those quotes?
Hereā€˜s the transcript of the full press conference:

Skim through it. I donā€™t think the overarching theme is that his strategy was a mistake or heā€™s having regrets. Heā€™s actually weighing the health concerns against the economic impact and trying to come up with a happy medium. The section quoted is toward the end when someone asked him about a plan going forward. He wants to get workers back to work as soon as possible.

21stamps

Your logistical reasoning is poor. He said "If you rethought that or had time to analyze that public health strategy, I don't know that you would say quarantine everyone." He is only implying that other options might exist that could have the potential for better results, but that doesn't take into the account the cost or assurance that a potential change would even be worth pursuing.

I stand by my words, based on his, and based on many other governors across the country, as well as the potus... they can not have an extended shut down of the economy. They have to figure out a better way, for all lives. Cuomo says heā€™s working on it, as is every other leader in this country. Itā€™s the only logical thing to do.

thomas998

All the lock downs are state or local. There is no federal lock down.
While true, the reality is governors in low density states felt enormous pressure to do lockdown and shut downs because the media ramped up the hysteria to very high levels. I think early one the governor of Oklahoma was chastised for sending out a self of his family having dinner with friends, and this was guy in a state had probably had more cases of the flu in one county than they did of the coronavirus in the entire state. In the early days it was a low risk state but my aunt that lives there explained how after the media dog piled on him for daring to eat out that he suddenly shut things down.

Common sense was missing this this thing first hit with the world refusing to cut off all travel to China... and then when it does start ramping up common sense is also missing with some places going overboard.

21stamps

Hereā€˜s the transcript of the full press conference:

Skim through it. I donā€™t think the overarching theme is that his strategy was a mistake or heā€™s having regrets. Heā€™s actually weighing the health concerns against the economic impact and trying to come up with a happy medium. The section quoted is toward the end when someone asked him about a plan going forward. He wants to get workers back to work as soon as possible.

Which is exactly what was said in the article posted previously, as well as exactly what I have been saying. The full transcript compliments that, not disputes it.

JoeCamel

Texas is requiring self-quarantine of people arriving from New Orleans and New York via air.

Ummm, Texas is right next (close) to Louisiana and they only limit flights? New Orleans is ground zero next week. Those people have cars and are leaving.

thecouch

I stand by my words, based on his, and based on many other governors across the country, as well as the potus... they can not have an extended shut down of the economy. They have to figure out a better way, for all lives. Cuomo says heā€™s working on it, as is every other leader in this country. Itā€™s the only logical thing to do.
Most area have barely even started. It will hit them and they will get less support as they won't get media attention like new york

Jwink

They probably donā€™t know what theyā€™re doing yet. I understand itā€™s frustrating, but there are so many businesses and schools and governments who are in this same situation.
I knew one day before we had to lay people off. Not even 24 hours prior to the task, the people were informed the next day, informed it would be their last or furloughed until a specific date.
Iā€™m sure Disney will have more than a 24 notice on what to do, but it might be another day or 2.
Universal did it 2 days ago and they have a ton of employees too

SoCalMort

Will all those "OMG we're turning into North Korea" people tell me one thing:

Exactly what executive order is the President going to overturn/issue to send everyone back to work?

These guidelines/orders are being put into place by Mayors and Governors. The President has not issued any ruling. If the President did, then I would understand your North Korea concerns.

I thought you people were all about State Rights....

Edited to change 'overturn' to 'overturn/issue'

PeoplemoverTTA

This is not an admission of regret. He's saying that he's fully aware that he's not 100% behind the decision, and he still doesn't know that it will produce the results that he hopes.

EDIT: hopemax, above, said it better than I did!

I think that, unless you are either in NY or are for some reason watching all of Cuomoā€™s daily press conferences (Iā€™m in WNY, so I am watching them all), itā€™s easy to misinterpret some of his statements or even project your own inferences onto them.

Thank you and hopemax for chiming in šŸ‘

Surferboy567

Source: Blog Mickey

I know this is a few hours old but is this accurate? Sorry if itā€™s been discussed.

I truly have no idea what they are doing.

21stamps

I think that, unless you are either in NY or are for some reason watching all of Cuomoā€™s daily press conferences (Iā€™m in WNY, so I am watching them all), itā€™s easy to misinterpret some of his statements or even project your own inferences onto them.

Thank you and hopemax for chiming in šŸ‘

Whatā€™s being misinterpreted?

thomas998

Ummm, Texas is right next (close) to Louisiana and they only limit flights? New Orleans is ground zero next week. Those people have cars and are leaving.
Louisiana was hammered because of the Mardi Gras celebration.. but having lived in Houston in the past I recalled you had a lot of people in that area that would go do the New Orleans party... so I'm betting it will not matter if you cut off anyone from Louisiana or not, you probably already have a lot of people in the south eastern part of Texas that are infected.

Lilofan

The renowned expert Dr Anthony Fauci in reference to Trump " YOU don't make the timeline, the virus makes the timeline. "

SoCalMort

I donā€™t know what Iā€™m supposed to proceed with. I just thought the use of ā€œyou peopleā€ and ā€œstates rightsā€ was a confusing sentence.

Well, I don't think only Americans are qualified to answer the question, but I think I get what you're saying.

My apologies.

21stamps

The renowned expert Dr Anthony Fauci in reference to Trump " You don't make the timeline, the virus makes the timeline. "

I find interesting when folks try to make it appear like these 2 are working against each other. You can find many interviews with Dr Fauci where he asks people to stop doing that, and says that they have been working together. Unfortunately, I donā€™t think enough people are watching the interviews.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom