Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

21stamps

You are looking at this rationally so changing your mind when more information is available makes total sense. Unfortunately a lot of people view this through their political lenses so you can never change your mind, just dig in no matter what information is presented.

Actually, a lot of us agreed with stoppage of China flights at the time when it happened, we didn’t need more info than what was already known. I personally agreed with it. Though you’re inadvertently correct in that those that were outraged did appear to have politically based outrage more than anything else. That decision also came from experts.. I don’t think a lot of people are aware that the task force is not just made up of doctors, it’s doctors and heads of state working together.

Eta- I think it would beneficial for everyone to watch the available interviews with Dr Fauci.

Last edited:

MrPromey

... Given the 14 day accepted maximum incubation period in the vast majority of cases, anybody infected before the lockdown should have shown up in the data by 2 days ago. The fact that there is a spike today indicates something isn't going as expected unless there were a large number of untested cases...

This of course, assumes everyone on "lock-down" lives alone and that family members and roommates can't give it to each other within a household* while on "lock-down", right?

*Who were all people it was going to spread to with or without the preventive measures to begin with.

jmp85

Then what is the percentage of the population that is high risk and how do you isolate them?

Ask them to self-isolate as much as possible, like we're all doing now? We don't definitively know who is at high risk, but preliminary data indicates a high correlation with the elderly and those with serious preexisting conditions.

lazyboy97o

You recommend that people over 65 or people that have preexisting health issues stay at home. Provide some kind of "quarantine leave" if they are employed but that they will only qualify for if their condition is verified to be high risk and verify that they have the condition. Then, recommend that anybody coming into contact with the isolated population take precautions in their presence.

However, you don't order it. You let people have the freedom to determine if they want to take the risk or not.
I answered above how to do it. I don't know the percentage but it is far less than the 100% living in simulated North Korea right now.
Ask them to self-isolate as much as possible, like we're all doing now? We don't definitively know who is at high risk, but preliminary data indicates a high correlation with the elderly and those with serious preexisting conditions.
I have provided those numbers. 16% of the population alone are aged 65 or older. 10.5% have diabetes. 8% have asthma. 6.7% have coronary artery disease. 6.4% have COPD. There are also many more cardiac and pulmonary issues. Others have risk factors like being pregnant or having cancer or a weakened immune system issue. Yes, these conditions overlap but that could easily be 25% of the population alone. Then you have to add in their dependents and care givers. That easily explodes into a very sizable chunk of the population. It also means repeatedly ignoring that even the low risk categories are getting sick for one to two weeks and dealing with things like pneumonia, even in "mild" cases.

MrPromey

I answered above how to do it. I don't know the percentage but it is far less than the 100% living in simulated North Korea right now.

I'm living in Florida in a county that has issued a stay at home notice which I assume is a stiffer situation that the majority of the country at this point.

The way you keep bringing it up, I'm thinking that maybe you don't know much about life in North Korea.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I'm living in Florida in a county that has issued a stay at home notice which I assume is a stiffer situation that the majority of the country at this point.

Many higher populated counties (and those just highly impacted in general) throughout the country have similar orders, including mine. I am fine with it as a short term solution. The order we have if in affect until April 3rd

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I have provided those numbers. 16% of the population alone are aged 65 or older. 10.5% have diabetes. 8% have asthma. 6.7% have coronary artery disease. 6.4% have COPD. There are also many more cardiac and pulmonary issues. Others have risk factors like being pregnant or having cancer or a weakened immune system issue. Yes, these conditions overlap but that could easily be 25% of the population alone. Then you have to add in their dependents and care givers. That easily explodes into a very sizable chunk of the population. It also means repeatedly ignoring that even the low risk categories are getting sick for one to two weeks and dealing with things like pneumonia, even in "mild" cases.
25-50% of the population would be self quarantining for the duration of this outbreak but somehow the economy wouldn’t be severely impacted? That’s what doesn’t add up for me. It’s not government imposed lock downs that slowed the economy to a halt its the virus. The lock downs are an effort to get the people who wouldn’t do it voluntarily and make them do it to slow the spread.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
25-50% of the population would be self quarantining for the duration of this outbreak but somehow the economy wouldn’t be severely impacted? That’s what doesn’t add up for me. It’s not government imposed lock downs that slowed the economy to a halt its the virus. The lock downs are an effort to get the people who wouldn’t do it voluntarily and make them do it to slow the spread.

Does all 25%-50% of that group live in high risk areas, or does a chunk live in low risk counties? Point being, without having all the data available and presented to us by experts in specific but varying fields (including how this virus has spread and how they expect it to spread moving forward based on that), trying to come up with a solution is silly. We can all have opinions of course, but we need the data and information to back up opinions in order to make real decisions. There are so many variables to consider.

DisneyCane

This of course, assumes everyone on "lock-down" lives alone and that family members and roommates can't give it to each other within a household* while on "lock-down", right?

*Who were all people it was going to spread to with or without the preventive measures to begin with.

You can take precautions and social distance within a household.

MrPromey

You can take precautions and social distance within a household.

:hilarious:

EDIT:

I guess I need to clarify since a lot of people seem to think I think it's not possible to take care of a sick person.

What I'm responding to is the notion that a large population of people spread across individual households together who don't believe that they are sick are going to social distance from each other within those households for any length of time.

Some?

Maybe.

Most?

I seriously doubt it.

I'm not talking about dealing with people in your own household who have already been diagnosed.

Last edited:

DisneyCane

The way you keep bringing it up, I'm thinking that maybe you don't know much about life in North Korea.

People live under authoritarian rule in North Korea. These "stay at home" orders aren't that far away from that type of government.

If my county issues one of these orders then I will seriously consider hiring an attorney and fighting the legality of these orders.

LittleBuford

I guess I just don’t see the point of personally attacking people by calling them “callous” or “selfish” or rude remarks over a lighthearted post.

You have a funny notion of lighthearted. The post in question claimed that a family trip to Disney mattered more than a few thousand lost lives. In my world, that’s a callous and selfish thing to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom