What's Still On and What's Now Off

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I don’t have a problem with that...

We know Disney will get money - That was a given. But that’s a small fee and they aren’t lobbying and complaining that they’ll collapse in a week.

I just have no sympathy for the airlines (the top of the pyramid...not the workers)...the economic boom has lasted much longer than the normal cycle - and they’ve proven yet again they can’t be trusted to be responsible.

Even the cruise lines...who evade taxes with registry as is well documented...and want checks. I’m fine with saving them but shouldn’t there be a longterm price for exploiting loopholes?

Right, I just didn't want people to think that Disney wasn't looking for its own form of a handout if the Fed buys up its newly-issued long-term debt.

Former airline employee here, and you'll get no arguments from me at all. They have absolutely raked in profits since 2008-09 and didn't do a damn thing to create any sort of rainy-day fund. Blame the stock analysts (I certainly do) and upper management. The front line and back office employees where I worked were and are still top notch people, by and large. Management? I wouldn't trust them to pick up dog poop.

Imagine the rainy-day fund Disney could have had if it wasn't buying back stock to ensure Iger's golden retirement nest egg remained golden.

Cmdr_Crimson

I actually have a DVD burned with some of the Disney propaganda cartoons, along with some of the banned cartoons from that era.
I Have this Disney Treasures dvd which has a good collection of the propoganda shorts...
s-l1600.jpg

Epcotfan21

If this rumour is true, I could see them deciding with all the refurb work they're doing to leave the park closed. That way they don't need to worry about impeding on guest experience, construction equipment can come and go as it pleases, and then reopen it when everything (or the biggest changes at least) is completed.
If they decided to keep Epcot closed for the time being, I'm imagining that they would want it back open by the time F&W rolls around since that's their cash cow.

TrainsOfDisney

If they decided to keep Epcot closed for the time being, I'm imagining that they would want it back open by the time F&W rolls around since that's their cash cow.

It’s comical that people are still in denial. F&W is a cash cow when people are at the park and have money to spend!

IF the world has started getting back to normal I think best case scenario is Festival of Holidays for Epcot with other parks opening up slowly before that.

MK first... then DAK... then studios based on non-show capacity.

Epcotfan21

It’s comical that people are still in denial. F&W is a cash cow when people are at the park and have money to spend!

IF the world has started getting back to normal I think best case scenario is Festival of Holidays for Epcot with other parks opening up slowly before that.

MK first... then DAK... then studios based on non-show capacity.
Not in denial about anything. IF Epcot is open for F&W, they'll be busy. Probably not even close to the past levels, but the locals and other Floridians will be there throughout the festival.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It’s an important event...but Epcot costs a TON to run. Reduced attendance coupled with its construction state still makes it the easiest - by far - to remain close.

The two that would have to operate are MK and DAK...one because of the revenue generation and one due to the unavoidable sunk costs...

The other two can stay closed if necessary.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not in denial about anything. IF Epcot is open for F&W, they'll be busy. Probably not even close to the past levels, but the locals and other Floridians will be there throughout the festival.
Florida residents are an important demographic...and elevated at Epcot, on the weekends, in the fall.

But that’s not enough to overcome the lack of the core audience if there is a reduction.

We just don’t know the answers...neither does Disney at this point.

Rescue Ranger

Well for me everything right now is a hypothetical because things keep changing week to week. Day by day. It's just unnecessary immediate doom & gloom.

I cancelled my April/May trip. Now am rescheduled for August/September. We better be back to some sort of serious normalcy by then. Is this a serious virus? Absolutely. A wakeup call to be more cautious. But as a media driven world, I don't feel we need to overreact to the point of forever changing life, as we know it. That in itself can lead to whole other level.

skimbob

Wait...you got dining reservations 6 months from now during a slow month in a plague?

I bet you could reserve a mouseboat at the poly right now too...no problem 🤪
You laugh but there were limited reservation times for many locations. You would think it would be easy but even in this craziness people are still making sure to get their reservations.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You laugh but there were limited reservation times for many locations. You would think it would be easy but even in this craziness people are still making sure to get their reservations.
I’m just yanking your chain.

I’m not really surprised reservations are being made...it’s a diversion. In a way “therapeutic”.

And Disney’s pre-planning has trained everyone to lap it up...myself included when I deign to go.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Well for me everything right now is a hypothetical because things keep changing week to week. Day by day. It's just unnecessary immediate doom & gloom.

I cancelled my April/May trip. Now am rescheduled for August/September. We better be back to some sort of serious normalcy by then. Is this a serious virus? Absolutely. A wakeup call to be more cautious. But as a media driven world, I don't feel we need to overreact to the point of forever changing life, as we know it. That in itself can lead to whole other level.

1. Or what?!? 😡
2. Do you think nbc is putting the people in the hospital in italy, Spain, or New York City?...I think the patients have independently confirmed they are, in fact, sick.

Last edited:
1. Or what?!? 😡
2. Do you think nbc is putting the people in the hospital in italy, Spain, of New York City?...I think the patients have independently confirmed they are, in fact, sick.
1. I think what Rescue Ranger is saying is that if we as a people don't calm down by then, we may never fully regain that normalcy, and if that's RR's point, I happen to agree.

2. Of course the media itself isn't putting people in the hospital. The virus is. But the media is driving the rest of the world into fear because that's what the media does. We constantly hear about the confirmed cases and the deaths, and we hear nothing numbers-wise on potential unconfirmed cases, of which there are likely several thousand in New York City alone, between carriers who can't get tested because they're not showing symptoms, those with minor symptoms who don't think to get tested, and those who haven't experienced symptoms yet. Though the virus IS EXTREMELY SERIOUS and a major wake-up call, the media is blowing it out of proportion and sending people into panic mode. And that's what's going to cause further issues, for Disney and everyone else.

wannabeBelle

1. I think what Rescue Ranger is saying is that if we as a people don't calm down by then, we may never fully regain that normalcy, and if that's RR's point, I happen to agree.

2. Of course the media itself isn't putting people in the hospital. The virus is. But the media is driving the rest of the world into fear because that's what the media does. We constantly hear about the confirmed cases and the deaths, and we hear nothing numbers-wise on potential unconfirmed cases, of which there are likely several thousand in New York City alone, between carriers who can't get tested because they're not showing symptoms, those with minor symptoms who don't think to get tested, and those who haven't experienced symptoms yet. Though the virus IS EXTREMELY SERIOUS and a major wake-up call, the media is blowing it out of proportion and sending people into panic mode. And that's what's going to cause further issues, for Disney and everyone else.
Amen!!! Marie

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

1. I agree with the first point
2. I do not the second. The news is tinged by for profit networks and an uncontrolled internet...That’s for sure.

What that doesn’t change are the material facts. And this virus and it’s unique conditions are facts. We never can take the commentary more seriously than the core. We are seeing what doing otherwise can do in real time right now.

Ok...lets move on.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I mentioned that earlier -- that WW2 may have actually benefited Disney rather than hurting it; it's possible there wouldn't be a Disney without that WW2 boost. Just depends on if Pinocchio and Fantasia could have been successes with overseas markets (and I think Fantasia would have lost money no matter what).

It's wasn't a boost - it just kept them open. The work wasn't very profitable. They continued to struggle in the aftermath and really survived by Disney being smart enough pivot to live action in the decade afterwards to deal with the cost and labor issues.

Lilofan

Losing 350k a day? Gotta be way more than that, imo.
No way losing 350K a day. $100 ticket x 100,000 guests per day all in 4 theme parks = $10 million per day not including cast member salaries for 80K cast members, food and beverage, merchandise, parking, resort hotel stays, water parks, Disney springs. And that seems like a slow day. Disney is losing millions of dollars per day.

Last edited:

Calmdownnow

How to get the people in the back gate? Several ideas. Demand for Epcot back gate hotels will likely be down. Limited parking at those hotels could be made available. Others could park at HS and take the boat or Skyliner. Or, if they want to man the Epcot front parking lot they could bus/shuttle people to the back and/or to Beach/Yacht and/or Caribbean (Skyliner access).
Or, if their expectation is a 40-50% drop off in room & DVC reservations, just mothball the resorts that aren't on the Skyliner or the Boardwalk. Open World Showcase via the International Gateway for the restaurants and festivals, and crack-on in super fast time with completing the structural changes at the front of the Park (and with GOTG) so that by the time tourism recovers more fully in summer 2021, EPCOT is fully re-configured.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom