Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

21stamps

It's only a matter of time before there is an uprising and civil unrest. People will stay under control for a few weeks but at some point they will rebel. The government can't just keep sending out checks to keep people under control. With half the economy shut down there isn't going to be close to enough tax revenue.

I still say that if taken to the Supreme Court it is likely that a lot of these measures would be found unconstitutional. Quarantine of the infected is one thing. Restrictions on people because they might become infected and spread the virus is another concept completely.

I don't think it would have been acceptable in 1981 to tell the gay community that they were only allowed to go to work, to essential stores and back home where they were to not have guests to prevent the spread of AIDS. AIDS had a essentially a 100% mortality rate back then. That would have correctly been found unconstitutional. Other than not specifically being targeted at a specific group, how are the current measures any different?

The orders for certain businesses to close seems to violate the equal protection clause. If I own a grocery store I am allowed to earn a living but if I own a movie theater then I'm not?

If this goes on too long, somebody is going to file a lawsuit to put these things to the test.

This happened in Cincinnati already, a lawsuit will be filed claiming constitutional rights.

When bars were ordered to close, one bar decided to become a ‘members-only club’, either that day or the next, patrons could pay a fee to join, and then come in, limited numbers at a time.

Well, the police showed up, boarded the doors and windows, and took away the owners liquor license for good.

While I agree with what the police did, he apparently did the members-only thing on the advice of his attorney, and now has several attorneys offering to represent him in a case against this.

From my understanding the bar is pretty much a hole in the wall type place, but he may end up with a fancy location after all is said and done ;)
I don’t think the litigation will happen any time soon, the courts and government have bigger things to deal with at this time.. but it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Animaniac93-98

So if WDW is going to reopen without some things like fireworks and parades to discourage large gatherings, how will that affect the holiday parties, where the main selling point is the exclusive entertainment?

Would Disney still charge full price for MNSSHP if the only party exclusive was the free candy? [the answer is yes, but it's something for potential customers to think about]

ImperfectPixie

This happened in Cincinnati already, a lawsuit will be filed claiming constitutional rights.

When bars were ordered to close, one bar decided to become a ‘members-only club’, either that day or the next, patrons could pay a fee to join, and then come in, limited numbers at a time.

Well, the police showed up, boarded the doors and windows, and took away the owners liquor license for good.

While I agree with what the police did, he apparently did the members-only thing on the advice of his attorney, and now has several attorneys offering to represent him in a case against this.

From my understanding the bar is pretty much a hole in the wall type place, but he may end up with a fancy location after all is said and done ;)
I don’t think the litigation will happen any time soon, the courts and government have bigger things to deal with at this time.. but it will be interesting to see how it plays out.
If that actually gets before a judge and doesn't get laughed out of court, the judge should be disbarred.

celluloid

So if WDW is going to reopen without some things like fireworks and parades to discourage large gatherings, how will that affect the holiday parties, where the main selling point is the exclusive entertainment?

Would Disney still charge full price for MNSSHP if the only party exclusive was the free candy? [the answer is yes, but it's something for potential customers to think about]

If it is honestly that bad than you are not going to see the parks reopen yet or people will have just given up. Ride vehicles alone would put people in closer quarters than stage blocking.

Last edited:

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
It's only a matter of time before there is an uprising and civil unrest. People will stay under control for a few weeks but at some point they will rebel. The government can't just keep sending out checks to keep people under control. With half the economy shut down there isn't going to be close to enough tax revenue.

I still say that if taken to the Supreme Court it is likely that a lot of these measures would be found unconstitutional. Quarantine of the infected is one thing. Restrictions on people because they might become infected and spread the virus is another concept completely.

I don't think it would have been acceptable in 1981 to tell the gay community that they were only allowed to go to work, to essential stores and back home where they were to not have guests to prevent the spread of AIDS. AIDS had a essentially a 100% mortality rate back then. That would have correctly been found unconstitutional. Other than not specifically being targeted at a specific group, how are the current measures any different?

The orders for certain businesses to close seems to violate the equal protection clause. If I own a grocery store I am allowed to earn a living but if I own a movie theater then I'm not?

If this goes on too long, somebody is going to file a lawsuit to put these things to the test.
AIDS isn’t spread via sneeze or cough droplets, nor can you catch it from a door handle touched by an infected person yesterday. Big difference in transmission.

celluloid

AIDS isn’t spread via sneeze or cough droplets, nor can you catch it from a door handle touched by an infected person yesterday. Big difference in transmission.

But also much less deadly than AIDS. So while not fair to compare the spredability, also not nearly as deadly.

21stamps

If that actually gets before a judge and doesn't get laughed out of court, the judge should be disbarred.

I don’t think it will get laughed out. It will come down to the state of emergency though..I don’t know what the outcome will be.. I don’t know all of the constitutional protections when we’re in a state of emergency.. but, I think it will be interesting to follow and see what happens and why.

celluloid

Or you know ... you could take widely advocated precautions to reduce your chances of catching EITHER disease. 🤷🏼‍♀️

Yes, you can. Can and forced are two different thing though. I was just pointing out let's not compare this to AIDS in really any regard other than a general part of a health topic.. One is realistically temporary until you just could always get it even with best precautions. The other, if not by blood transfusion misteps or by your birth, than it was totally in your control.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Yes, you can. Can and forced are two different thing though. I was just pointing out let's not compare this to AIDS in really any regard other than a general part of a health topic.. One is realistically temporary until you just could always get it even with best precautions. The other, if not by blood transfusion misteps or by your birth, than it was totally in your control.
I didn’t bring up the AIDS comparison.

I feel it has as much place in this discussion as does comparing COVID-19 to the flu. As in - none.

TrainsOfDisney

I don’t think it will get laughed out. It will come down to the state of emergency though..I don’t know what the outcome will be.. I don’t know all of the constitutional protections when we’re in a state of emergency.. but, I think it will be interesting to follow and see what happens and why.

Agreed. Being ordered to close your business is VERY questionable legally.

celluloid

I didn’t bring up the AIDS comparison.

I feel it has as much place in this discussion as does comparing COVID-19 to the flu. As in - none.

You did continue the comparison with the transmission rate. And yes it is a lot closer to the Flu than AIDS. Its transmission is somewhat similar. The best comparison if any would be the other Corona Viruses before it, but mainly in symptoms. An intense common cold, which also kill people with compromised immune systems daily.

Last edited:

LittleBuford

This is such a nonsensical comparison. You can’t catch HIV through social contact, touching surfaces, being coughed on, etc. You need to have unprotected sex or exposure to someone’s blood. Moreover, gay men did indeed take proactive steps in response to the HIV/AIDS crisis—by adopting safe-sex practices.

ETA: I see @JenniferS beat me to it.

HongKongFooy

[/QUOTE]
. I don’t know all of the constitutional protections when we’re in a state of emergency..

One can pretty much take that Jeffersonian addendum to the US Const.( aka Bill of Rights), which limits the central government's power over us along with that post Civil War added feature which extends those power limitations to the states(aka 14th) and read them over and over again inside a jail cell during a state of emergency......just for congregating in public.

Public executives be messin with our civil liberties and civil rights and I'm hoping a US judge will put a stop to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom