Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angel Ariel

Definitely talk to your insurance about teletherapy, they should cover it, many doctors are required to do teletherapy for their patients unless critical right now.
I hope for you that they do, it should.
I plan to. I have already had one private provider tell me that my insurance company has told them they will not cover teletherapy. Which just means time on my side to fight them, and who knows how that’ll turn out (and I don’t exactly have the time to spend on the phone with insurance with DD home all day and DH trying to telework. I know from experience how long those phone calls can be).

21stamps

Man, it must really tick a lot of people in here when thing like the liquor, junk food, tobacco, deli or electornics isle at the major grocery stores are open.

Not necessities at all, but remain open and risk more surfaces and less "distancing"

No one should be at the store when one has the ability to order online and have delivered.
;)

ToTBellHop

Relax. It is tense times. I do not think anyone(including who this was directed at) wishes ill against anyone, and you can argue that we all do things selfishly I get it. But life comes with inherent risk. This is not quarantine to rid a disease from the world, just to help the influx of how fast the initial spread is.

The majority of people doing things imperfectly, not everyone doing it perfectly is what is going to make the difference. This goes for everything in life. Once thi is all over, the young, old, immune dificient, will all still be more likely to die of other causes that are very controllable like drunk driving, distracted driving, second hand smoke and violent crimes. Life comes with inerent risk I think is the point of many and we just need to attempt, not lockdown unrealistically.
Everyone knows, deep down, that this lockdown cannot continue until there’s a vaccine. But it won’t have to be continuous.
Man, it must really tick a lot of people in here when thing like the liquor, coffee, junk food, tobacco, deli or electornics isle at the major grocery stores are open.

Not necessities at all, but remain open and risk more surfaces and less "distancing"
You can get gelato in Italy.

celluloid

Speak for yourself. I have 2 kids at home with me. Electronics and junk food are absolutely necessities...and liquor for me;)

I have kids as well. We got an above ground pool two days ago. Ha.
If you read it again I am not mad at all about it. I just think it is funny how people pick and choose and point out the absurdity and extremist culture. I think for mental health a lot is a necessity. I see Game Stop actually busier than it has been in other times I have been in there(and I do not like that store at all)

I think it is interesting that Funspot is going to be the top visited theme park in Central Florida for a while!

PUSH

You’re not getting it. This whole thing is difficult. I realize that you don’t have kids at home, and that those who do have differing opinions on this, and that all kids are going to have differing levels of social interactions and extracurriculars prior to this social distancing .. but everyone needs to understand that so many kids are feeling the brunt of this. It is difficult, so difficult, for so many. These kids who have been training for months for their spring sports, now have their seasons interrupted and tournaments cancelled without even getting to play their first game. The emotional impact of that, combined with seclusion.. it’s something that you can talk about, but you can’t know what it feels like..I don’t even know what it feels like, I can just imagine..I can just watch my child feel it.
2 next door neighbor kids, playing outside with each other, as in basketball shooting games or soccer training activities with their own balls and cones and space, not tackling and touching, are not going to be posing a great risk to society. Each parent needs to make their own judgement call on if they will allow it or not. Personally, I will, for the emotional health & well being of my child. I do not judge parents who won’t allow it. I can only do what I feel is best for my own.
I know that this is not going to change your mind, and you will continue to choose to do what you want, but I do feel like I need to share my perspective.

I am a 1st grade teacher. I am the biggest advocate for play and social interaction for children. I feel like those are the two most important things children can have. There are so many fantastic things that come out of them. IMO, they are so much more important to primary age children than academics.

However, right now is a time to change what we know as normal. People need to stay home. Children need to make that adjustment, too. I know it is not easy. I know sports and activities are thrown off. I know children are hurting. I think about my group of kids so many times throughout the day. I worry endlessly about them. All I want to do is see them again and give them hugs and reassure them that everything will be okay. But the responsible thing to do is to have them practice social distancing from people who do not live with them. Right now is a fantastic opportunity to spend time with family, which so often gets interrupted by sports and activities. It is not an easy topic to talk to kids about, and they may not understand it, but it is what is necessary and responsible. It is also a great opportunity to talk with kids about selflessness. Many of us are not doing this for ourselves. We are doing this for our family members, our friends, our neighbors, the healthcare workers, and the list goes on. That is something a child can understand - it never amazes me the empathy children can have when we teach them how to do it!

There are so many ways for kids to continue to interact with their peers. Set up a phone call. Facetime. Skype. Zoom. Video games that have online chat. There are countless ways for kids to get their energy out in ways that practice social distancing: Go Noodle (free), Cosmic Kids Yoga (Google it), search "brain breaks" on YouTube. Limitless options!

Again, I know that I will not change your mind. You seem pretty set in your ways. But I think it's always nice to hear other perspectives, which is why I am offering mine.

If anyone has gotten this far reading this message, I do not intend to start a debate. I will not be checking back in this thread, so I apologize if I do not respond to your comments.

Everybody please stay safe and healthy. Practice social distancing. So many amazing, wonderful people are depending on us. It's the least we can do.

jt04

So yeah, looking at the countries hardest hit they are almost all in the heart of winter. I E Switzerland.

Temperature seems important. Of course too much is worse. Swedes should probably spend a few extra minutes in the Sauna.

Animaniac93-98

I don't understand why anyone would want to rush back to a WDW that's charging full price to visit a park with a limited number of rides and shows operating anyway. Unless you're an AP who's already in effect paying to be there.

ImperfectPixie

Oh, definitely. I was responding to idea that an adult was frightened at the notion that there aren't lots of kids outside playing. My kids don't really understand what's happening, but I can certainly see my oldest being frightened if he catches on to what's "really happening."
My oldest knows the basics of what's going on - we're fortunate in that he's like Sheldon Cooper from Big Bang in quite a few ways...very logical...so we can give him facts...we just rein it in so it isn't too scary. He knows we're trying to stop the spread of the virus, and that it can cause those who are vulnerable to die. That's the extent of what we'll tell him...he was actually starting to question why dad is home from work because we're not on vacation. He's 14, but his autism makes him more like maybe 11-12. Our 9-year-old is really emotionally closer to 6-7, so he just knows he's got time off from school because there's a bad bug going around. The key for us is honesty, but age-appropriate.
Man, it must really tick a lot of people in here when thing like the liquor, coffee, junk food, tobacco, deli or electornics isle at the major grocery stores are open.

I know a lot of people in our town are going to be upset if the dispensaries close.

celluloid

For the petty theme park side of it all, Let's just all be glad that the resort was not in a neglectful state for about a decade to invest the most in Florida in a four year span.

21stamps

I know that this is not going to change your mind, and you will continue to choose to do what you want, but I do feel like I need to share my perspective.

I am a 1st grade teacher. I am the biggest advocate for play and social interaction for children. I feel like those are the two most important things children can have. There are so many fantastic things that come out of them. IMO, they are so much more important to primary age children than academics.

However, right now is a time to change what we know as normal. People need to stay home. Children need to make that adjustment, too. I know it is not easy. I know sports and activities are thrown off. I know children are hurting. I think about my group of kids so many times throughout the day. I worry endlessly about them. All I want to do is see them again and give them hugs and reassure them that everything will be okay. But the responsible thing to do is to have them practice social distancing from people who do not live with them. Right now is a fantastic opportunity to spend time with family, which so often gets interrupted by sports and activities. It is not an easy topic to talk to kids about, and they may not understand it, but it is what is necessary and responsible. It is also a great opportunity to talk with kids about selflessness. Many of us are not doing this for ourselves. We are doing this for our family members, our friends, our neighbors, the healthcare workers, and the list goes on. That is something a child can understand - it never amazes me the empathy children can have when we teach them how to do it!

There are so many ways for kids to continue to interact with their peers. Set up a phone call. Facetime. Skype. Zoom. Video games that have online chat. There are countless ways for kids to get their energy out in ways that practice social distancing: Go Noodle (free), Cosmic Kids Yoga (Google it), search "brain breaks" on YouTube. Limitless options!

Again, I know that I will not change your mind. You seem pretty set in your ways. But I think it's always nice to hear other perspectives, which is why I am offering mine.

If anyone has gotten this far reading this message, I do not intend to start a debate. I will not be checking back in this thread, so I apologize if I do not respond to your comments.

Everybody please stay safe and healthy. Practice social distancing. So many amazing, wonderful people are depending on us. It's the least we can do.

I hope you read this response.. because I want to tell you how amazing all of you teachers are!!! Especially right now. I know you all are working so hard for the kids and were given such a short time to prepare.. I can’t thank teachers enough!!

I do appreciate your perspective, I just have to reiterate that not all of us are home with our children during the day right now. There’s so many great ideas given by well meaning parents and teachers about what we could be doing to fill the time, it just doesn’t mesh for all families. I truly appreciate it though. You guys are helping kids and parents more than you know.

DisneyCane

It's only a matter of time before people start getting ansy...
It's only a matter of time before there is an uprising and civil unrest. People will stay under control for a few weeks but at some point they will rebel. The government can't just keep sending out checks to keep people under control. With half the economy shut down there isn't going to be close to enough tax revenue.

I still say that if taken to the Supreme Court it is likely that a lot of these measures would be found unconstitutional. Quarantine of the infected is one thing. Restrictions on people because they might become infected and spread the virus is another concept completely.

I don't think it would have been acceptable in 1981 to tell the gay community that they were only allowed to go to work, to essential stores and back home where they were to not have guests to prevent the spread of AIDS. AIDS had a essentially a 100% mortality rate back then. That would have correctly been found unconstitutional. Other than not specifically being targeted at a specific group, how are the current measures any different?

The orders for certain businesses to close seems to violate the equal protection clause. If I own a grocery store I am allowed to earn a living but if I own a movie theater then I'm not?

If this goes on too long, somebody is going to file a lawsuit to put these things to the test.

jt04

It's only a matter of time before there is an uprising and civil unrest. People will stay under control for a few weeks but at some point they will rebel. The government can't just keep sending out checks to keep people under control. With half the economy shut down there isn't going to be close to enough tax revenue.

I still say that if taken to the Supreme Court it is likely that a lot of these measures would be found unconstitutional. Quarantine of the infected is one thing. Restrictions on people because they might become infected and spread the virus is another concept completely.

I don't think it would have been acceptable in 1981 to tell the gay community that they were only allowed to go to work, to essential stores and back home where they were to not have guests to prevent the spread of AIDS. AIDS had a essentially a 100% mortality rate back then. That would have correctly been found unconstitutional. Other than not specifically being targeted at a specific group, how are the current measures any different?

The orders for certain businesses to close seems to violate the equal protection clause. If I own a grocery store I am allowed to earn a living but if I own a movie theater then I'm not?

If this goes on too long, somebody is going to file a lawsuit to put these things to the test.

If you own a theater you are probably not thrilled about the idea of bringing the virus home to family.

MuteSuperstar

celluloid

They finally caved.

I think they were just ambushed with trade ins and could not comply easily in a tight pace with the ten person rule. I don't like them but clearly people do and were hoping for trade ins to keep going.

jt04

I don't understand why anyone would want to rush back to a WDW that's charging full price to visit a park with a limited number of rides and shows operating anyway. Unless you're an AP who's already in effect paying to be there.

Maybe some will have the disposable income and want to help the economy recover. Just a guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom