Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImperfectPixie

Exactly. Of course it’s not easy. On us as parents, or the kids. But as I’ve said from the beginning, I would rather be very strict with this from the beginning and have to do it for a shorter amount of time overall than have it drag on for months because of a desire to keep things “normal” for as long as possible.

but clearly around here anyway it seems too many still prioritize things like the cherry blossoms, so I fear it will end up lasting much longer for all of us as a result. And kids like my child - who is more at risk and needs the separation - will be kept out of school and away from friends for longer than they would have needed to be otherwise.
I'm right there with you. ❤

Angel Ariel

It's different and it sucks, but I don't think it's frightening. What's frightening is being hospitalized and possibly having permanent lung damage. Or, you know, dying. Those are unlikely outcomes, but they're not zero. And those interactions are also impacting the health of others. Kids aren't equipped to weigh the risks and make those decisions. I'd say parents allowing or encouraging those interactions aren't being very responsible.
It can be frightening for kids in different ways. DD has told me (via the magnets referenced above) that she is afraid. She’s been afraid her father or I will get sick. She’s been afraid she’ll get sick. She may not be able to speak, but she understands everything going on. we reassure her of course, and explain that we are preventing those things by staying home as much as possible, by washing our hands, etc. and that does help - but kids can absolutely be scared during this time, and adults should be aware of that and talking with them to calm those fears.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Social Distancing, and isolating isn't an attempt for everyone to never get the virus, it's about not letting everyone get it at same time.
Picture it like this there is a damn holding back a reservoir of water. The dam has a leak, and you can can try to fix it as best you can and let the water pour out as slowly as possible into a stream, because water always finds ways through the cracks or you can let the dam burst wide open, which will flood the valley.
Our hospitals are that valley, and they can't take a flood.

You should definitely read my other post just above yours then :D

21stamps

Exactly. When my daughter indicated she was missing a friend tonight, she used her augmentative device to write her a note. I took a screenshot of it and texted it to her friend’s mom. It made her feel so much better.

You may be interested, or horrified, to know that my niece and nephew are around different people all week, including adults & children. Their parents are essential workers at a hospital.. and they can’t lock them in a closet all day, nor can they take the time off to stay home with them during the day.

I don’t know anyone thinks that it’s possible for everyone to lock down. They can’t. Every family is different. The ones who can’t lock down are a minority right now for sure, and that’s a good thing.

celluloid

You may be interested, or horrified, to know that my niece and nephew are around different people all week, including adults & children. Their parents are essential workers at a hospital.. and they can’t lock them in a closet all day, nor can they take the time off to stay home with them during the day.

I don’t know anyone thinks that it’s possible for everyone to lock down. They can’t. Every family is different. The ones who can’t lock down are a minority right now for sure, and that’s a good thing.

That is a valid point, if everyone did that to the extreme, we would not have health care providers saving lives. Everyone would be locking down in isolation to let other die. Moderaiton in everything folks. Take it for what it is worth.

ImperfectPixie

That is a valid point, if everyone did that to the extreme, we would not have health care providers saving lives. Everyone would be locking down in isolation to let other die. Moderaiton in everything folks. Take it for what it is worth.
The point - for EVERYONE including health care workers who need babysitting - is to shrink our social circles to be as small as possible.

rowrbazzle

It can be frightening for kids in different ways. DD has told me (via the magnets referenced above) that she is afraid. She’s been afraid her father or I will get sick. She’s been afraid she’ll get sick. She may not be able to speak, but she understands everything going on. we reassure her of course, and explain that we are preventing those things by staying home as much as possible, by washing our hands, etc. and that does help - but kids can absolutely be scared during this time, and adults should be aware of that and talking with them to calm those fears.

Oh, definitely. I was responding to idea that an adult was frightened at the notion that there aren't lots of kids outside playing. My kids don't really understand what's happening, but I can certainly see my oldest being frightened if he catches on to what's "really happening."

DisneyCane

Social Distancing, and isolating isn't an attempt for everyone to never get the virus, it's about not letting everyone get it at same time.
Picture it like this there is a dam holding back a reservoir of water. The dam has a leak, and you can can try to fix it as best you can and let the water pour out as slowly as possible into a stream, because water always finds ways through the cracks or you can let the dam burst wide open, which will flood the valley.
Our hospitals are that valley, and they can't take a flood.
Even if none of this stuff was done everyone wouldn't get it at the same time. The social distancing measures don't seem to be working too well in Italy.

I'm still awaiting the data of the percentage of patients that require hospitalization or ICU since that is the reason given for everything we are doing. I have direct knowledge of one South Florida hospital and know for a fact that none of the COVID-19 positive cases were admitted. Since I only have limited data it isn't enough to draw a conclusion.

21stamps

The point - for EVERYONE including health care workers who need babysitting - is to shrink our social circles to be as small as possible.

The governor of Kentucky addressed something that a lot of people were frustrated over once schools were closed. A lot of kids are now going to their elderly grandparents as there are no other childcare options, putting the most vulnerable people at risk.

The governor acknowledged that, and said it is a risk, but it is one he had to weigh, because he feels like keeping the schools open is a greater risk to more people.

Most people are realizing that there are many trade offs and many risks right now.. not all unavoidable.

Health care workers are having to make extremely tough decisions, because they are the most at risk of even being exposed to it- and they don’t want to leave their kids with elderly grandparents due to the risk scenario on both ends.. So, many are bouncing the kids around to either different families on different days, or large group school aged childcare centers open specifically for first responders, healthcare workers, and other essential jobs during this time.

Angel Ariel

There is a huge difference between kids going to childcare because their parents are essential workers in a hospital, and children playing together in the neighborhood. Of course I’m not horrified at the fact that essential workers need to be able to have child care somehow. That’s in no way equatable to bike riding with neighbors. One is literally essential at the moment so we have people who can help the sick. The other is nice, but not essential.

you have spoken constantly about how you have to work. Well, have you taken the time to consider people like me who have *no way to make money* during this crisis? I haven’t been laid off or fired. I am technically an independent contractor for my company. I teach groups of adults with children ages 0-5. My director contracts with locations. Those locations follow the school closings. Classes also Are not possible with the current social distancing requirement. As long as schools are closed, I have no location in which to teach - and as long as social distancing is The recommendation, the worldwide organization is not allowing us to hold In person classes.

We will also likely be paying more out of pocket for therapies during this time, as insurance may not cover teletherapy.

so no income for me, plus more expenses..for as long as our current situation in this state lasts. That’s a great combination.

I don’t *want* to be home. I don’t *want* my child to be home (she doesn’t want to be either. She wants to go to school). We don’t have a *choice* in this. And as long as others - and by others I do not mean essential workers - disregard the current guidelines (as the stories I posted re: the cherry blossoms here show in abundance), the longer my family will not have that choice.

it really needs to be understood that situations like ours aren’t a choice. It’s a necessity.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Even if none of this stuff was done everyone wouldn't get it at the same time.
True, but in a lot of cases people who end up in the ICU and survive are there for a long time. One of the first US victims from the cruise ship in Japan got sick 2/15 and as of a week ago I saw an interview with him and he was still in the ICU. No clue if he’s out yet, but the point is there’s a false narrative that all people who get this and survive are well again in 10-14 days. That may be the case for a lot of the mild cases, but not necessarily the serious ones.

Club Cooloholic

Even if none of this stuff was done everyone wouldn't get it at the same time. The social distancing measures don't seem to be working too well in Italy.

I'm still awaiting the data of the percentage of patients that require hospitalization or ICU since that is the reason given for everything we are doing. I have direct knowledge of one South Florida hospital and know for a fact that none of the COVID-19 positive cases were admitted. Since I only have limited data it isn't enough to draw a conclusion.

celluloid

Man, it must really tick a lot of people in here when thing like the liquor, coffee, junk food, tobacco, deli or electornics isle at the major grocery stores are open.

Not necessities at all, but remain open and risk more surfaces and less "distancing"

21stamps

There is a huge difference between kids going to childcare because their parents are essential workers in a hospital, and children playing together in the neighborhood. Of course I’m not horrified at the fact that essential workers need to be able to have child care somehow. That’s in no way equatable to bike riding with neighbors. One is literally essential at the moment so we have people who can help the sick. The other is nice, but not essential.

you have spoken constantly about how you have to work. Well, have you taken the time to consider people like me who have *no way to make money* during this crisis? I haven’t been laid off or fired. I am technically an independent contractor for my company. I teach groups of adults with children ages 0-5. My director contracts with locations. Those locations follow the school closings. Classes also Are not possible with the current social distancing requirement. As long as schools are closed, I have no location in which to teach - and as long as social distancing is The recommendation, the worldwide organization is not allowing us to hold In person classes.

We will also likely be paying more out of pocket for therapies during this time, as insurance may not cover teletherapy.

so no income for me, plus more expenses..for as long as our current situation in this state lasts. That’s a great combination.

I don’t *want* to be home. I don’t *want* my child to be home (she doesn’t want to be either. She wants to go to school). We don’t have a *choice* in this. And as long as others - and by others I do not mean essential workers - disregard the current guidelines (as the stories I posted re: the cherry blossoms here show in abundance), the longer my family will not have that choice.

it really needs to be understood that situations like ours aren’t a choice. It’s a necessity.

Definitely talk to your insurance about teletherapy, they should cover it, many doctors are required to do teletherapy for their patients unless critical right now.
I hope for you that they do, it should.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom