Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think another issue is embarrassment. If you are diagnosed, everyone will know so I suspect there are people walking around with it and not saying a word.
May be fear as well as embarrassment. A flight from Colorado to NJ had to be diverted when a passenger suffered an allergy attack and multiple people on the flight verbally assaulted her to the point they landed the plane and the FBI took 3 people into custody. The “sick” passenger’s temperature was taken and turned out to not be sick, just seasonal allergies. Admitting you are sick could be dangerous to people or their families.

John park hopper

What the heck has happened to people in this country, have we become that selfish and uncaring, me first. What if this woman was having a heart attack or stroke. Are people embarrassed to admit they have the flu or a common cold? What makes the coronavirus different, it's not like you got STD from poor behavior. If this story is true it sickens me (I'm not embarrassed to admit it)

Lilofan

May be fear as well as embarrassment. A flight from Colorado to NJ had to be diverted when a passenger suffered an allergy attack and multiple people on the flight verbally assaulted her to the point they landed the plane and the FBI took 3 people into custody. The “sick” passenger’s temperature was taken and turned out to not be sick, just seasonal allergies. Admitting you are sick could be dangerous to people or their families.
People are slowly losing their minds.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Republic of Ireland is closing all schools. UK government announcement later today. President Marcon speech tonight. Anaheim reduces gatherings to 250. DLP stops all outdoor shows and applies more limits to interior spaces including stores.

Looks like an avalanche of new measures are starting to be unveiled. Hopefully they’ll be sharp but short.

Rimmit

Just logically following the next steps of your assumption - Japan has a SIGNIFICANT number of undiagnosed cases of corona virus NOW. Since the corona virus hit Japan several weeks ago, wouldn’t their hospitals be overwhelmed with cases and the death count be climbing like a rocket?

The US is sitting on a bunch of cases and we aren’t close to being overwhelmed yet. It took China about 6 weeks for things to get to the point from their acknowledged initial detection which was Dec 31(who knows when it really started although the whistleblower states he brought it up Dec 19 I believe) to when they were overwhelmed enough to acknowledge that it was a serious problem come late January. We have no clue how long it took for it to truly ramp up and can only guess how long from true patient zero was till an all out epidemic.

Ignorance is bliss. In the US, we are nowhere near overwhelmed on the healthcare side of things yet. If we hadn’t started expanding screening guidelines, the medical diagnosis for all these patients would simply be “flu like illness” or “culture negative sepsis” or some other vague medical diagnosis. We would just assume “WOW, the flu is virulent this year.” Look at the Seattle nursing home. They are now finding Corona deaths post Mortem. If they hadn’t expanded screening it would have been attributed to a “viral illness” and we would have been none the wiser. We would never have known those residents died of Corona if we didn’t go back and test them after they had passed.

38 extra deaths in Japan is not going to set off alarms and that’s where we are at here In The US that’s not even a blip when looking at an entire country of people.

It would take a lot of cases accumulating before it would send a red flag in the medical community to consider a new virus. “Common things are common” is the saying we use in medicine. We don’t look for zebras when all you see are horses.

Point is, you were asking why Japan doesn’t seem to have a massively overrun healthcare system. It’s cuz they aren’t at the tipping point. What happened in Italy, South Korea, and Iran didn’t happen overnight. There is tipping point to where the Italians, Iranians, and South Koreans got suspicious that something was going on, started expanding screening and “BOOM” suddenly they realized it was there brewing all along as there were just too many cases for them to attribute to “viral illness” and now they are in a full blown epidemic.

Japan is doing a great job of trying to be proactive instead of reactive, which is definitely helping and slowing disease progression but it’s coming. And sooner than later.

Last edited:

dizneycrazy09

I need all of my fellow Disney nerds' advice. We're scheduled to leave March 25. We're really struggling with whether or not to move the trip to September, not so much out of fear for ourselves, but fear that we may get there and have the place operating with limited offerings or shutting down while we're there. My husband and I are completely torn (especially because his 30th birthday is the 30 - which is why we were going). What would you do in my shoes?

John park hopper

When enough people start contracting the virus at WDW and the lawyers start filing lawsuits then Disney will shut down. WDW will stay open as long as they can it's all about the money. Disney can't keep up with maintenance and keep attracts running do you really think they can keep up with disinfecting the park. I'll stay away until all this blows over

Last edited:

Lilofan

I need all of my fellow Disney nerds' advice. We're scheduled to leave March 25. We're really struggling with whether or not to move the trip to September, not so much out of fear for ourselves, but fear that we may get there and have the place operating with limited offerings or shutting down while we're there. My husband and I are completely torn (especially because his 30th birthday is the 30 - which is why we were going). What would you do in my shoes?
Limited offerings and shutting down the parks are very realistic scenarios. If you are infected, you will need to prepare to be in isolation for 14 days, where, that's another question.

ImperfectPixie

Honestly, I would reschedule.

Gringrinngghost

Are people embarrassed to admit they have the flu or a common cold? What makes the coronavirus different, it's not like you got STD from poor behavior.
This is also a country where people can't afford to take time off because their sick. There are also some employers that if you call out sick you have to talk to a medical professional (Chipotle made headlines with its policy requiring that sick employees call a nurse to verify that they are actually sick and not just hungover) to the point that companies have people spy on those who call out sick to see if they are sick (https://www.hrreporter.com/opinion/...video-surveillance-of-workers-worth-it/298230)

There's nothing wrong with Capitalism
There's nothing wrong with free enterprise
Don't try to make me feel guilty
I'm so tired of hearing you cry

seascape

When enough people start contracting the virus at WDW and the lawyers start filing lawsuits then Disney will shut down. WDW will stay open as long as they can it's all about the money. Disney can't keep up with maintenance and keep attracts running do you really think they can keep with disinfecting the park. I'll stay away until all this blows over
WDW staying open is not just for the money. The fear that will be created if Orlando shuts down will make things worse. Disney as nd Universal should remain open as long as possible to give the public faith that life goes on and we will get over this. It was important to the country when WDW opened up after 9/11. It was also important to Japan when Tokyo Disney reopened after the Tsunami. Life will go on and Disney isvan important symbol for all of us.

LSLS

WDW staying open is not just for the money. The fear that will be created if Orlando shuts down will make things worse. Disney as nd Universal should remain open as long as possible to give the public faith that life goes on and we will get over this. It was important to the country when WDW opened up after 9/11. It was also important to Japan when Tokyo Disney reopened after the Tsunami. Life will go on and Disney isvan important symbol for all of us.

I think the sports games were much larger symbols after 9/11. But, in those situations, it wasn't possible for Disney to lead to a lot more harm for a lot more people. There wasn't a chance going to Tokyo Disney was going to bring on another Tsunami. I'm not saying they should be closing immediately, but this is a wildly different situation than you are comparing it to.

baymenxpac

at this point, delay the trip if you can. please note this is different advice than i would have given you yesterday. and i think we should all be open minded to new information coming to light that will affect how we view this situation.

i do believe the vast majority is seeing this through two different lenses: callous indifference or immense panic. the truth is probably somewhere in between. at this point, though, it seems like a matter of time before the decision is going to be taken out of your hands anyway. might as well mentally prepare to just push your celebration back a little.

Gringrinngghost

As I posted in the operation thread: but in your case if you want to go March 25th:

I can't say to not expect the worst, but all I can say is to prepare for it. but to continue going on as normal. As of now, I expect them on just reducing hours and limiting the number of attractions or modifying them in a manner to limit touching. Attendance projections are now lower than what they we're before and this data that was estimated prior to the Oval Office Address last evening. I am actively checking with sources, and those whom have gotten back to me haven't heard anything. That being said, given that Orlando is the in the top 5 of most heavily visited areas of the United States. Its actually astounding that we have not had any positive cases at all for now.

I would say as of the current landscape, with those that I have talked to. If they do not cut hours, they will be 100% less staffed due to lower estimated numbers, which will also limit the risk of infection. I would not be surprised to see them take the approach of Sea World as they are whipping down their ride vehicles after every cycle and are seeing an effect on the wait times by at most 5 minutes. I can see as a first level that attraction cycle times will be affected, such as having a gap in the design lab at Test Track to have cast wipe down the most commonly touched objects to Space Ship Earth where if they can wipe the touch screen down after every ride or number of rides. The non-omnimover attractions will be better off as they have an easier time to manage those, those continuous ride systems (Haunted Mansion, Little Mermaid, Space Ship Earth, Buzz Lightyear) will be harder to wipe down unless they were to have multiple CMs wiping down the most commonly touched areas unless they would go to a slower loading speed which while does increase attraction time does give them more time to clean what they need to. Attractions like Rise of the Resistance and Mission Space, due to their nooks and crannies, could limit the overall loading where they can pulse each turn table so they can clean one down while the other works, and in a case like that, they can still have the sides open. Another case I can see for an attraction like Mission Space is that they opt to rather use spray instead of wipes for the bottoms and still only have a sightly longer time between cycles that can really affect at most 5-10 minutes for the attractions.

I think one of the more drastic ones will be to limit the areas for parades, and shows like Happily Ever After if they don't suspend them at all due to guest crowding areas.

What I mean though this ramble of what I've seen, I can't say to not expect the worst, but all I can say is to prepare for it. but to continue going on as normal and to practice proper hygiene.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
I would move it right now. In the next 30 minutes. I don’t see how we don’t get a big announcement from Disney later today. You want to be ahead of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom