Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

John park hopper

Piebald

I can only imagine most of Europe waking up to the avalanche of news that came out local time last night in the US
c77hndlimce31 (1).jpg

carolina_yankee

Regarding the Schengen travel ban, I believe the wording applies to citizens of those countries, so the UK doesn't have to ban travel from the EU in order to make the ban work. Anyone presenting a passport at an UK airport from a Schengen country would not be able to board a flight to the US.

That's also why Ireland can be included in the permitted travel zone as an EU member because the determination is passport/residency, not geographic location.

phillip9698

Get a grip people. There were between 171,000 and 575,000 deaths from H1N1 in 2009 and I don’t recall WDW closing.

Hmm, maybe I'm different but when I see numbers like this I think about how many lives could have been saved then if we took public health recommendations more seriously instead of "hey a lot of people died then so we should be OK with a lot of people dying now".

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
Hmm, maybe I'm different but when I see numbers like this I think about how many lives could have been saved then if we took public health recommendations more seriously instead of "hey a lot of people died then so we should be OK with a lot of people dying now".

Expect something like this: Should we stop people from getting in their cars or crossing the street?

Honestly, this doesn’t go anywhere.

holman3rd

My wife and I are scheduled to go to WDW for a 3-day conference next Thursday. At lunch yesterday I mentioned to her that if things don't change significantly (re: the virus), I want to go. She agreed. Then last night the bad news cascaded. This morning I have finally pulled my head out of my rear and realized I was blinded by my desire to visit WDW. No longer. We are canceling everything today. We'll lose some money, get some refunded, get an airfare credit (Southwest), so it's not a big loss financially. But this isn't about the money. Everyone has their own decision to make. Every situation is different. For those asking advice about whether they should go, all I can say is try to set aside your desire to make your trip happen--it might change your perspective.

Rimmit

I would have agreed with you yesterday. Now I’m not so sure.

I’m an inch away from looking at rescheduling a DLP trip despite at this time being still able to fly and stay.

I would reschedule. Not for fear of virus, but simply because given the state of Europe I do not anticipated DLP being open much longer. As complete speculation, I am gonna guess that they announce a shutdown of DLP Mar 14th that extends at least till April 25th at the minimum. Just complete speculation and J hope I am totally wrong, but Europe is escalating exponentially and they are desperately trying to keep DLP open but I just don’t think it will happen. Not sure where you are coming from, but if you are from the US, flights are likely going to be extremely limited later, and require rerouting, and to further complicate matters, they may start imposing 14 day self quarantined if visiting Europe.

Patcheslee

That is a problem here in the US still as well. My brother who is a physician wanted to get someone tested who had symptoms consistent with Coronavirus and a history of traveling to Boston which in the US is becoming a hot bed. The Health Department denied the request. This was even AFTER the CDC had stated travel history was no longer required and it was now up to physician discretion.

From my understanding Japan is also not big on testing except in certain circumstances. I suspect they are sitting on a time bomb at this point, and if they had more agressive testing it would be discovered they have a significant number of cases. They just h r so much at stake with the Olympics this year they are doing whatever it takes to try and preserve that.
I'm home until Monday after waking up Tuesday feeling horrible. Fever, body ache, dry cough, headache, blah. Go to doc and they give me flu test that comes back negative. They ask if I've traveled outside the US tell them no, so they decide flu test must be a false negative, give me Tamiflu, and note to stay off work until Monday. I get it chances are it is a false negative, but that's still the operating MO here. So far Indiana has only given 43 tests, a pathetically low number IMO considering 11 ppl have tested positive and hard to believe those 11 only came in contact with 32 maximum ppl over previous 14 days, it doesn't make statistical sense. To top it off I can only be excused whatever days the doc says through FMLA. So if even 1 person is being written off as a false negative flu test due to the no outside travel, but it's coronavirus, they are back to work before the assumed contagious period ends.

Rimmit

I'm home until Monday after waking up Tuesday feeling horrible. Fever, body ache, dry cough, headache, blah. Go to doc and they give me flu test that comes back negative. They ask if I've traveled outside the US tell them no, so they decide flu test must be a false negative, give me Tamiflu, and note to stay off work until Monday. I get it chances are it is a false negative, but that's still the operating MO here. So far Indiana has only given 43 tests, a pathetically low number IMO considering 11 ppl have tested positive and hard to believe those 11 only came in contact with 32 maximum ppl over previous 14 days, it doesn't make statistical sense. To top it off I can only be excused whatever days the doc says through FMLA. So if even 1 person is being written off as a false negative flu test due to the no outside travel, but it's coronavirus, they are back to work before the assumed contagious period ends.

The US this far has done a pretty poor effort of staying ahead of this. While China did the worlds worst effort at least when they came to realize it was an issue they bit the billet and went nuclear and shut down their economy.
We really only have two options at this point.

1.). Take the Italian course of action. Try and put small bandaids until it is to the point of a total country lockdown.

OR

2.) Skip to the end and just lockdown the country now and skip over the pretense that this can be contained with half*** measures.

Neither is a great option.

ELG13

I've noticed car rider line at school has progressively gotten smaller this week. Today it was like no one was there. My husband spoke to a teacher at my son's school asking if there were any plans yet and he told him that he was surprised they had school today. We are in the Florida panhandle. So we are expecting school closures soon. The week of the 24th is spring break so I think closing next week and then the kids being off for spring break would be wise at this point. I know it's easy for me to say because bi work from home now, but I also had no issues telling my job I'm not coming in when I needed to keep my kids home. I'm hoping they get. A plan goin soon because we may just have to come up with our own and not rely on our local officials to make a call.

John park hopper

The US this far has done a pretty poor effort of staying ahead of this. While China did the worlds worst effort at least when they came to realize it was an issue they bit the billet and went nuclear and shut down their economy.

1.). Take the Italian course of action. Try and put small bandaids until it is to the point of a total country lockdown.

OR

2.) Skip to the end and just lockdown the country now and skip over the pretense that this can be contained with half*** measures.

so what do you suggest we the people should do because it is ultimately our own responsibility to protect our own health

ELG13

OR

I vote skip to the end. I feel like we are just sitting around waiting for.... SOMETHING Bigger to happen every day. Finish out the week but have a solid plan of action for Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom