Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patcheslee

Discounting that this years flu shot was very effective (90% match) even with non match, the flu shot helps lessen the symptoms and dramatically decreases the risk for escalating into a more serious illness.
Where did you even read a 90% match? CDC report stated 45% last I'd seen.
Screenshot_20200312-011657_Chrome.jpg

Jrn14

I bought a 4 park 4 day ticket starting saturday... can I cancel it or move it and get a refund or credit?

DreamalittleDisney

At the moment, yes, but it’s been theorized by another poster that Boris Johnson may enact the same restriction of travel between the UK and mainland Europe.
Theres a big meeting in UK today suspected to put us in delay phase .ie shutting schools, working from home suspect trae will also be discussed

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
My god people, this is not the Black Plague.

It will seem like it for a month if the virus spreads quickly and the number of at-risk people are severely ill all at once.

Besides the ones that will die despite getting care, thousands more will die in hospital hallways and make-shift MASH tents asphyxiating because there aren't enough mechanical respirators to care for them all at the same time.

Do you want to deal with the understaffed hospital staff while you're panicking that your grandparent can't breathe and being told that there are no available respirators because they're all being used?

esskay

(Thinking positive here)

The EU (but not UK) travel ban might actually be a good thing for Disney. I mean, immediatly for the next 3-5 days it has no impact really - a couple of thousand guests wont be there but nothing too noticable.

But for the next 4 weeks (2-ish weeks of no flights + cancellations that overlap the 2 week period) theres going to be a significant drop in attendance, reducing numbers of people in close contact.

They might actually get through this without too much disruption.

For UK travelers going to the US - The UK and US govt have clearly already had a conversation, and when Boris makes his announcement today I'd imagine it'll be a closure of the channel tunnel and no flights to Europe for anything other than goods for 14-30 days.

monykalyn

I wonder how bad it would need to get for the world to agree to just shut down for a month and everyone avoid everyone. It's insane but it's a net benefit to everyone.
HOW? Serious question- how? Can’t restrict or shut down nursing facilities, hospitals, police stations, jails, fire department etc. then are people supposed to have stockpiled enough together through a month? No? Then grocery stores, pharmacies will need to be open AND people to staff them and keep all the other places running. What about places that don’t have mass transit(and still need staff for that)- need their cars, need gas- what if you need a new tire? Run out of diapers? Order from Amazon you say? Whose working the warehouse, driving the trucks doing the deliveries? Close nonessential things? No fast food, banks movie theaters etc- great- how are they gonna pay rent, for food, utilities etc. And since people still need supplies- need to get shipments in and distributed. So what IS “nonessential”? I hope people see the idiocracy of “shut everything down for weeks” and hopefully see the challenges of even quarantining for longer periods of time.
For UK travelers going to the US - The UK and US govt have clearly already had a conversation, and when Boris makes his announcement today I'd imagine it'll be a closure of the channel tunnel and no flights to Europe for anything other than goods for 14-30 days.

people really also need to read beyond the clickbait headlines, and go to the source the media is reporting on and read for yourself the studies. Take the 9day surface survival for instance, it’s not ALL surfaces and rate varies depending on surfaces. It’s also done in lab under certain conditions to seewhat difference temp/humidity make. It’s also Testing viable viral load, and it’s unclear what the threshold for the viral load is yet to actually cause disease transmission- same for the asymptomatic carriers- unclear if they are actually disease vectors. The suspension in air for several hours is troubling but also keep in mind it’s done with a nebulizer that also sprays optimally for max spread, humans aren’t that efficient. And again the others state unclear if viral load is enough to cause transmission, plus its one small study. Really need more done on this and quickly.
Purely anecdotally I’d bet the virus has been here already in greater numbers and we haven’t caught it. How many people have you heard complain they ran a low grade fever, felt awful, had a cough etc and tested negative for flu? Told it was probably “viral” and to stay home and rest? Happens every flu season too we just don’t know what to test for until a large enough population has an outbreak that it gets reported and attention drawn to it.
As for comparisons to flu- we did not have flu vaccine for H1N1 when it showed up, took 11 months. We did have some cancellations and school closings etc. Maybe the biggest difference is we had competent leadership who listened to scientists, and didn’t let ego get in way of testing to “keep the number low as it’s not our fault”, and made an effort to coordinate testing and quarantine efforts with other world leaders based in best judgement of experts. And with coherent and consistent messaging didn’t induce panic.

also BTW World Health Organization says travel bans don’t work unless at very start of outbreak and even the it just causes delays in the spread although that can give countries precious time to ramp up needed services and help flatten that hospital curve, we are way beyond that currently.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lilofan

Get a grip people. There were between 171,000 and 575,000 deaths from H1N1 in 2009 and I don’t recall WDW closing.

Our elected officials don't buy your argument. WDW is on borrowed time.

Ag11gani

In case anyone wants clarification on the Europe ban, all non-US citizens and permanent residents who have been to the Schengen Area* in the last 14 days cannot come to the USA. The Schengen Area is rather arbitrary area to choose as most members have less cases than the UK but anyway.

*Austria, Belgium, Czechia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

Rich Brownn

Where did you even read a 90% match? CDC report stated 45% last I'd seen.View attachment 455708
I believe the article I read was concerning match vis effectiveness. Even when its a match it can drift during the season. Nevertheless, even without a perfect match it reduces your chance of suffering the flu by 60% and if you catch it, it generally prevents the illness from becoming severe.

Rich Brownn

Disagree, it is WHEN not if. Cases where countries are effectively testing cases are rising. Like here in the UK. To have a flippant attitude is ignorant to people who this could affect seriously.
Comparing this strain of the virus to previous ones is like comparing a firecracker to a bomb. They both explode, but one is deadlier.

Kristamouse

My kids’ schools were immediately cancelled for the rest of the week after the president’s address. They say it’s to train teachers how to teach remotely. We’re in Michigan with two confirmed cases as of today, but there will be more.
Our county is closed as of Friday with remote learning as well. Our children attend private school, last week measures were put into place on remote learning. There is a meeting today to determine the future...

Sir_Cliff

Hmm, glad I held off booking a brief research trip to London from the Netherlands for next week as I suspect they will start restricting travel from Europe.

This is probably not of massive interest here, but it is interesting to me here in the Netherlands where we have around 500 official cases to watch this unfold. The Dutch government seems very blasé about the whole thing and the only real measure I've seen introduced is an instruction not to shake hands. I work in a university, and the communication from the university has been to preemptively reprimand us by email if we're thinking of modifying usual teaching and exam schedules as everything is to continue as normal.

They are also very restrictive in who they will test (Official advice: "If you have a fever (38C or more) and respiratory symptoms (coughing or shortness of breath) and were in China (including Hong Kong and Macao), Italy, Iran, Singapore, or South Korea in the past 14 days contact your GP. If you were in one of these areas and have symptoms of the common cold or a slightly elevated temperature, stay home and make sure you have as little contact with others as possible. It could be the first symptoms of COVID-19, but it might also be a common cold virus. It is not necessary to call your GP at this stage.")

As an expat living here watching how my home country of Australia is reverting to its Mad Max roots with people fighting over toilet paper in the supermarkets, this has been an interest insight into the Dutch mindset. Not sure whether I think it is great that they're not overreacting or to be concerned they don't seem to be taking it at all seriously. The US travel ban, though, might be a turning point.

Rimmit

I would try to relax a little about the prospect of WDW closing. First, Disneyland Paris is still open and France has over 8 times the cases per million population as the USA. Three employees of DLP have tested positive and they are still operating.

Second, like I said, if WDW is forced to shut down due to coronavirus, I am very confident that the administration will either provide aid directly or work with Disney for Disney to provide it. Having 75,000 people in a single area not getting paychecks will do severe damage to the local economy. The powers that be will work very hard to not have that happen.
First, I am not trying to induce panic or create anxiety, but just trying to be realistic.

While many on this forum believe Disney is too big to close, I would say that many also believed the NBA was to big to cancel.

There are many factors Disney has to factor into play that are unique to the US. While we are not a communist country that can on a whim basically force something to close because the government says so, we are a very litigious society. The risk Disney places their employees in once they start testing positive for Corona is huge if they continue to force their employees to operate with exposure. In DLP the unions are starting to get involved stating it’s not safe to work. If Europe is complaining on the conditions you can bet US workers will and threaten to lawyer up as well as possibly strike.

The Grand Princess had only been quarantined about 3 days before a million dollar lawsuit was filed against them. Can you imagine the lawsuits that would fly at Disney if they were knowingly exposing employees and guests to Corona for the sake of the bottom line? Disney is a brand that commands a premium due to their reputation and any death associated with them whether it is deserved or not will tarnish their image and cost them More in the long run than a park closure.

And regardless of lawsuits, there comes a point where human lives have to be taken into account. We will not get into the flu vs Corona debate, as I used to be on the flu side, but have now come to realize the severity of this disease. I work in healthcare and deal primarily in ICU units and after reading some other healthcare providers first hands accounts of how this is going in Italy and seeing the hospital situation; this is definitely not the flu. This is serious and can quickly overwhelm any healthcare system. We just don’t have the manpower and equipment to combat this disease if it goes widespread. We just dont. We are already stretched to the max during flu season. A disease of this level çan level a health system and society.

That being said, I do believe their would be federal assistance to workers in the event of a WDW closure. It is just such an economic driver via the jobs it provides it would halt an economy if it closed. Not sure what type of assistance the govt. would be providebut I would find it doubtful they would not provide some.

disney4life2008

First, I am not trying to induce panic or create anxiety, but just trying to be realistic.

While many on this forum believe Disney is too big to close, I would say that many also believed the NBA was to big to cancel.

There are many factors Disney has to factor into play that are unique to the US. While we are not a communist country that can on a whim basically force something to close because the government says so, we are a very litigious society. The risk Disney places their employees in once they start testing positive for Corona is huge if they continue to force their employees to operate with exposure. In DLP the unions are starting to get involved stating it’s not safe to work. If Europe is complaining on the conditions you can bet US workers will and threaten to lawyer up as well as possibly strike.

The Grand Princess had only been quarantined about 3 days before a million dollar lawsuit was filed against them. Can you imagine the lawsuits that would fly at Disney if they were knowingly exposing employees and guests to Corona for the sake of the bottom line? Disney is a brand that commands a premium due to their reputation and any death associated with them whether it is deserved or not will tarnish their image and cost them More in the long run than a park closure.

And regardless of lawsuits, there comes a point where human lives have to be taken into account. We will not get into the flu vs Corona debate, as I used to be on the flu side, but have now come to realize the severity of this disease. I work in healthcare and deal primarily in ICU units and after reading some other healthcare providers first hands accounts of how this is going in Italy and seeing the hospital situation; this is definitely not the flu. This is serious and can quickly overwhelm any healthcare system. We just don’t have the manpower and equipment to combat this disease if it goes widespread. We just dont. We are already stretched to the max during flu season. A disease of this level çan level a health system and society.

That being said, I do believe their would be federal assistance to workers in the event of a WDW closure. It is just such an economic driver via the jobs it provides it would halt an economy if it closed. Not sure what type of assistance the govt. would be providebut I would find it doubtful they would not provide some.
I think another issue is embarrassment. If you are diagnosed, everyone will know so I suspect there are people walking around with it and not saying a word.

nyrebel3

From my understanding Japan is also not big on testing except in certain circumstances. I suspect they are sitting on a time bomb at this point, and if they had more agressive testing it would be discovered they have a significant number of cases. They just h r so much at stake with the Olympics this year they are doing whatever it takes to try and preserve that.

Just logically following the next steps of your assumption - Japan has a SIGNIFICANT number of undiagnosed cases of corona virus NOW. Since the corona virus hit Japan several weeks ago, wouldn’t their hospitals be overwhelmed with cases and the death count be climbing like a rocket?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom