News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

yensidtlaw1969

From the renderings it seems this should be rotated clockwise a little - an arrow shot through the old arcade/Space Mountain store will hit the entrance to its left, not right. This would *seem* to allow the canopy to obscure the building from a viewpoint of the park (particularly from the speedway) on a better bias, rather than in this mock-up where the rear of SM is getting a 'better' view.

Thanks for posting - it does give a good understanding of what may be.
I checked the vertical satellite views at the same scale between Shangah Dl and MK. It appears that in reality the Tron box footprint is larger than the SM dome so in this photoshopped view you should imagine Tron being significantly larger than shown.
View attachment 452074
. . . There's a reason I said roughly, guys. And a reason I included it in a full-size image of The Magic Kingdom rather than a closeup - because it's not perfect.

I will say this, I made an effort to line up the angle of the foundation as visible in Google Earth with the angle of the Shanghai photo, but even then it's still an approximation. Was meant more to be fun than be a document subjected to any meaningful scrutiny.

JoeCamel

. . . There's a reason I said roughly, guys. And a reason I included it in a full-size image of The Magic Kingdom rather than a closeup - because it's not perfect.

I will say this, I made an effort to line up the angle of the foundation as visible in Google Earth with the angle of the Shanghai photo, but even then it's still an approximation. Was meant more to be fun than be a document subjected to any meaningful scrutiny.
Thanks for the work, looks like it looks and no surprise it will be fugly from some views.

Josh Hendy

A couple of pictures taken from on and around World Dr showing the stripey box in the context of the MK skyline would be worth a million words ... not that we won't spill a million words of opinion and speculation anyway... 😁

smile

if you can't handle the scrutiny...
don't do the favor
🙃

Clyde Birdbrain

Unknown Member
Some pictures from Shanghai with the building visible behind. I didn’t notice it when we were there. It blended in well with the blue sky.

D16C427C-4704-4D1E-94AA-51EEC80480B4.jpeg

D2B65656-5EE7-4344-96A7-61E5400E8BAB.jpeg

F1DEC0DE-C985-43FB-84FF-7AF250D0EDD6.jpeg

8ABBEAD0-2D2B-4C61-993B-1D9FCFF53F06.jpeg

48ACC5EC-1A42-4DC7-A4F8-C959B5E17D95.jpeg

Disneyson

View attachment 452215

From the BLT DVC Lounge - I do not believe the TRON Building is taller than Space Mountain.
(but it's certainly large)

I actually think that this photo’s perspective does something to soothe my fears a little: In the photo, to me, it looks like Space Mountain is the largest (due to the lit spires) in the foreground. The TRON building looks smaller and further away. The castle looks INCREDIBLY far away and the tallest, even though I know that is untrue.

I’d really like to see Adventureland in comparison to this, see how the symmetry looks. In 25 years it will likely be balanced by a big something in Adventureland sticking out of the wilds and ruining the Swiss Family view, TBH.

In Shanghai, the view into Tomorrowland and TRON is much worse, to me at least. When entering from Mickey Ave (until you’re “in” the center of Tomorrowland), you can see the straight back of the giant building housing a majority of the attractions. Unless you’re entering from the Contemporary, in Florida the side view will likely remain distorted from the monorail once it’s done and best of all.

In Shanghai, the attraction is shielded by the amazing canopy that will look incredible here with all the additional kinetic energy. In Shanghai, the body building reveals itself once you go under the canopy, and it’s UGLY. I’m sure the same will be similar here.

jmuboy

I hope that during the Tomorrowland renovations, they change the space mountain sign and outside area to look more like what it did before the retro futuristic overhaul in the 90s. View attachment 452347

I would love to get that 70s/80s look of the Space Mt entrance and marquee back. It would look perfect in the retro reboot they are going for right now in Tomorrowland. I'd also love the arcade building to GO AWAY. It is one of the biggest design mistakes inside the MK!

gmajew

Premium Member
The back of the park view I don’t care about very much. I know why people get up in arms about it but the cost to hide stuff today is not the same as before.

the view from the park is concerning and I hope they do something so it is limited and hidden more then walls

lazyboy97o

The back of the park view I don’t care about very much. I know why people get up in arms about it but the cost to hide stuff today is not the same as before.

the view from the park is concerning and I hope they do something so it is limited and hidden more then walls
The cost to hide stuff today is a function of Walt Disney Imagineering’s out of control costs. Hundreds of millions of dollars should be more than sufficient.

gmajew

Premium Member
The cost to hide stuff today is a function of Walt Disney Imagineering’s out of control costs. Hundreds of millions of dollars should be more than sufficient.

you all keep saying that but the cost me building restaurants has gone up 30-35 percent in 15 years.

so I would assume they would have the same issues.

lazyboy97o

you all keep saying that but the cost me building restaurants has gone up 30-35 percent in 15 years.

so I would assume they would have the same issues.
Not 100%+. Slinky Dog Dash cost about twice as much as Time Traveler, another dual launch Mack coaster with more complicated cars located further inland, on a more difficult site in a more expensive construction labor market in half the time. Even adjusting for inflation, Pixar Pier cost more than Expedition Everest. TRON definitely costs more.

gmajew

Premium Member
Not 100%+. Slinky Dog Dash cost about twice as much as Time Traveler, another dual launch Mack coaster with more complicated cars located further inland, on a more difficult site in a more expensive construction labor market in half the time. Even adjusting for inflation, Pixar Pier cost more than Expedition Everest. TRON definitely costs more.

I don’t know those numbers to know if we are comparing apples to apples. I also don’t know how Disney allocates funds for depreciation schedule does more go to the coaster less to the land improvements?

Pixar pier includes what Everest is just Everest? Again are we comparing apples to apples.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom