News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

A Noble Fish

A friend working with the project told me the canopy portion has been shortened...
I went on it three times as it was not that crowded the day we were there... It is a fun ride, but super short, and way too many trim brakes...I wonder how much time the shortened canopy section of the ride will shave off the whole experience.
Apart from the West. And the north. And the north west.
Is this 100% true? The current length of the outside paces the ride well, but it's already super short. This is a problem.

TrainsOfDisney

I don't worry too much about what things look like from the BLT parking lot, frankly.

Well clearly neither does Disney. And it’s a huge number of guest areas including contemporary hotel, bay lake towers, California Grill and all guests arriving by monorail.

Actually all of the parks will now have bad show visible from guest areas as people arrive now. (Everest and Avatar at DAK, Galaxies Edge at DHS, Cosmic Rewind at Epcot, Tron at MK).

rreading

Where would you have put Tron?

I do not think imagineering is perfect at all... I don’t even agree with how they designed some effects for rise... but I’m not sure where else they could have put the thing.

Well, before they announced GotG, I would have put it where UOE sat...digital avatars being part of our "Future World" :)

In all honesty, it seems to have something of an old school Epcot feel to me.

corran horn

Not really... very little backstage was visible from the monorails. The berm and trees hid almost everything.

Technically you’re correct from bay lake tower and contemporary but from that distance it was still an attractive view towards MK.

It still is. I was just at the DVC deck on the BLT roof. The TRON building is so far to the right it doesn't disrupt any view - and as I said, you could always see backstage areas from up there anyway.

corran horn

We do know because it’s been built before and even been shown several times in diagrams and photos.
I've never been to Shanghai, but if you can find a photo of the current ride showing anything but the barest hint of a building behind that installation when viewed from inside the park you're doing better than me. Now, from 15 floors up and 1500 ft to the SE it'll be different, of course. How couldn't it be? Seems like views from the monorail would be fine but I admit I haven't looked and seen what the view is now. (yet)

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
well, from the West is practically straight-on. I imagine it'll look nice enough. North of it is backstage.

Are you talking about from the Barnstormer queue?
So. This big box.

In Shanghai the attraction is designed to be visible only with the canopy in front of it. Kind of only from Tomorrowland Light and Power area.

In Orlando the orientation is skewed 45 degrees meaning the designed to be hidden box will be visible from the Speedway, Cosmic Rays, Tea Cups, Storybook Circus etc

The yellow line is a rough alignment of the WDW RR, red arrows the designed view angles:

View attachment 449699

I hope they’re going to do more than paint big stripes on it.

corran horn

The overhead views here (1/2/20, particularly the second one with the yellow line showing the train path) give a good perspective. If the canopy extends to cover all the external track (which given the renders it seems to) I'm pretty confident that from ground-level (from speedway cars or Cosmic Ray's through the speedway entrance for example) the building will be adequately masked.

You'll absolutely be able to see it from the train station and train unless they get really creative with trees.

lazyboy97o

I've never been to Shanghai, but if you can find a photo of the current ride showing anything but the barest hint of a building behind that installation when viewed from inside the park you're doing better than me. Now, from 15 floors up and 1500 ft to the SE it'll be different, of course. How couldn't it be? Seems like views from the monorail would be fine but I admit I haven't looked and seen what the view is now. (yet)
There are photos just three pages back and plenty more from different angles before that.

yensidtlaw1969

In all the hubbub yesterday I forgot to share an image I photoshopped using one of those new Drone photos from Shanghai - a skyward view of (roughly) what TRON will look like sitting in the Magic Kingdom when it's completed:

Magic Kingdom Aerial with TRON.jpg

Josh Hendy

In all the hubbub yesterday I forgot to share an image I photoshopped using one of those new Drone photos from Shanghai - a skyward view of (roughly) what TRON will look like sitting in the Magic Kingdom when it's completed:
Thanks for this. The size and height of the Tron warehouse look a lot more inconspicuous than I thought. A few trees around it and I think it'll be fine.
Screenshot_20200226-101458_Samsung Internet.jpg

corran horn

Apparently it should be stated . . . this is not To Scale. It's an approximation.

From the renderings it seems this should be rotated clockwise a little - an arrow shot through the old arcade/Space Mountain store will hit the entrance to its left, not right. This would *seem* to allow the canopy to obscure the building from a viewpoint of the park (particularly from the speedway) on a better bias, rather than in this mock-up where the rear of SM is getting a 'better' view.

Thanks for posting - it does give a good understanding of what may be.

Josh Hendy

I checked the vertical satellite views at the same scale between Shangah Dl and MK. It appears that in reality the Tron box footprint is larger than the SM dome so in this photoshopped view you should imagine Tron being significantly larger than shown.
Screenshot_20200226-111005_Samsung Internet.jpg

Goofyque'

I didn't mean it detracts from the ride experience -- I meant it detracts from the experience for non-riders just walking around the park. It shouldn't be a big issue for Tron because it's located back in a corner and you likely won't be able to see any of it unless you're near it in Tomorrowland, but the fact that you don't have rides going by overhead all around you (and constantly in your sight lines) is one of the best things about Disney compared to almost every other theme park.
Besides the multiple times we rode tron, one of the best things was watching it go past under the canopy!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom