Rumor Figment, well, to be replaced by Figment

UNCgolf

I'm not sure there's any real clamoring for the original ride. I vaguely remember riding on the old version and have seen POV videos. Seems that the ride teeters between nostalgia and boredom.

Definitely not. It's one of the best rides Disney ever built -- there was nothing boring about it.

I don't think anyone wants the original built exactly the way it was (well, there's probably a few people out there that do), but bringing back something similar with updated technology would immediately be the best ride in EPCOT and one of the best in the whole resort.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I'm not sure there's any real clamoring for the original ride. I vaguely remember riding on the old version and have seen POV videos. Seems that the ride teeters between nostalgia and boredom.
I’m sure there is. Even if there isn’t, how about a modern day equivalent of it? And those who don’t have a clue how good it used to be won’t be any the wiser.

worked for mystic manor.

Epcot82Guy

I’m sure there is. Even if there isn’t, how about a modern day equivalent of it? And those who don’t have a clue how good it used to be won’t be any the wiser.

worked for mystic manor.

Agreed. Mystic Manor has always felt like an updated version of a Mansion-JII hybrid. I know it's a pipe dream, but if they wanted to bring a rethemed clone to JII tied loosely to the original ride's story, I would not be upset at all.

Mike S

The horrific armchair Imagineering idea of pairing Figment with another IP will not happen. That’s just not even an option. Again, if they use Inside Out, it will be Bing Bong not Figment.
That being said, I firmly believe Figment is here to stay.
Disney would be stupid to ditch him. He’s a cute easily marketable mascot with an already built in fan base from the original ride. That fan base either already has kids or are starting to have kids. When they fall in love with a great new version of the ride their kids could too. It’s win-win.

Brer Oswald

The horrific armchair Imagineering idea of pairing Figment with another IP will not happen. That’s just not even an option. Again, if they use Inside Out, it will be Bing Bong not Figment.
I never said it was a good idea.

Mac Tonight

Horizons was also IP. Everything a company makes for itself is Intellectual Property.
I know. But too many people think it just means popular characters from pre-existing movies (which is probably what it means to Chapek and Iger).

In that sense, Epcot has been IP filled since Day 1.

brb1006

I thoroughly enjoyed the Comic...why not just theme it to that. I'm sure it's already been brought up a zillion times but it is exciting, keeps with the original feel, and is very deep in environment.
Plus new characters for the attraction (mainly Spark the cat from the later Figment comics).

orky8

I want the original ride. I'm not sure how to clamor, though. I shook my fist to the sky when I got off the latest basterdization last week and then fell to my knees saying why, why... Does that count?

A revised version ala Mystic Manor would be fine too, but seriously, I don't understand why they don't just dust off the old blue prints to save money. EPCOT Forevah!

Fox&Hound

I would looooove a mystic manor type ride at WDW (and no, I don't count Haunted Mansion as that, despite the history between the two ideas). Seems like a wonderful way to give an update to Figment. I love how the artifacts come to life and it seems likeFigment could use his imagination to bring the artifacts to life.

Last edited:

No Name

Storytelling is the combination of communication and imagination. This is an idea for which I was told Epcot’s changes are being designed around and pitched to the public as. In reality, it’s an excuse to lift the burden of theme from the rest of the park by condensing and misconstruing it into a ball. I’ll quote myself later.

RSoxNo1

My podcast cohost had the idea of an inside out concept where you’re inside the mind of figment a la Inside Out. That would potentially allow for Figment portrayed as himself and his emotions.

DoleWhipDrea

With all the trackless rides WDW is getting now, I would prefer to see a different ride system. RotR has so much downtime and I’m concerned about how well Ratatouille and MMRR are going to behave once they open as well. Something reliable and high-capacity (but no less imaginative, of course.)

I can’t see mixing Figment with another franchise in an attraction working well. The characters would be fighting for guests’ attention and would most likely become a narrative mess as a result.

Inside Out isn’t about the creation coming from the human mind - it’s about emotions. Hence why it’s story was inspired by an attraction from the Wonders of Life Pavilion. They’re just not the same concepts, and from a basic story standpoint would be just as problematic as V.2 & V.3 in that they try to scientifically quantify human creativity through the senses.

Imagination needs to stay original, uninterrupted by a film franchise or a disregard for the concept of what imagination is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom